Sniping

E

edcwy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread is a raw attempt to gather data on the frequency of sniping entry into a tournament: entering into a a tournament at the last minute with an attempt to ITM.

If you are a sniper:

What has been your success rate?

What parameters to you use to snipe into a tourney?

Other?

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When I read this thread:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-rooms-10/cheating-acr-suspected-363167/

I noticed that one poster (eanishimimi) was responding that he had been banned from ACR for having a >80% cash rate in MTT’s. His post explains his “Sniping” Strategy. I have reproduced the merged, edited (grammar/spelling) version here:

I’m one of the players recently banned from WPN for having 80%+ ITM in MTTs
I did not cheat nor do anything illegal. I just late reg for MTTs where I think I have 80% chance ITM.

For example a $11 MTT is in late reg with 1 minute left

280 entries/ 55 players left/ 45 players paid

If 10+ players join last minute, we will have

291+ entries/~65 players left/ 63 players paid

In this simple example it's more than 99% chance of ITM, but in reality numbers are different and you don’t know exactly the final numbers thus the estimate of 80% ITM chance is still reasonable.

* you can get a 100% ITM if you are the 291st registered and only 63 players left/ 63 players paid

* you can get ~ 75% chance when you are 60 players left /45 players paid; i.e not enough players late join to jump to 63 paid

* sometimes during weekend more than expected players late reg and you have 90 left / 63 paid (<75% theoretical chance of ITM)

So the 80% figure is an approximate combination of the above scenarios.

80% ITM is not really a big deal when most of these ITMs are mincash. You need mincash to be higher than 1.2x the buy-in + MTT fee to be profitable.

Using the previous example, if mincash is $14, you are barely breakeven ($14X80%-$11 = $0.20). So your profit will eventually come from those times when you get lucky and do more than mincash.

I hope this helps put some perspective on the subject.

The original posts:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-rooms-10/cheating-acr-suspected-363167/post-4156773.html

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-rooms-10/cheating-acr-suspected-363167/post-4157263.html

I was intrigued by this method and attempted to employ it in the recent ACR MOSS Series. It was difficult to find suitable situations (as described above), and the ACR registration clock turns over to “less than 1 minute remaining” when in fact there were about 5 seconds remaining. So I attempted to register for about three or four tourneys, but only succeeded in getting into one - a PLO 9 Max which I cashed. I think getting dealt AA 99 double suited in my seventh hand may have had something to do with that! So I can honestly say that this technique is “Can’t Miss” because my success rate is 100%! :cool:

Last edited:
Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it possible to see information about tournaments that are running? Like how much is the biggest stack, how many positions are in the prize pool and stuff like that without signing up for the tournament?

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah the post mtl hit the nail on the head. I don't usually try sniping but when I do it's usually because I busted out of the CC freeroll early or something. One thing I think you should look out for is the GTD's at night, a lot of them will get huge numbers of players with really long late reg periods and by the time late reg ends you're right near the money. Before registering though like the post said, always check for when the next pay jump is but also look at the blinds vs. starting stack ratio, if the blinds are at 200/400 but the starting stack is 1000 you might last those few hands you need to stay in the money, but if its 200/400 with 5000 starting stack that gives you a tiny bit more freedom to actually play some and move up the cash ladder. Best of luck to you!

Is it possible to see information about tournaments that are running? Like how much is the biggest stack, how many positions are in the prize pool and stuff like that without signing up for the tournament?

Yeah just check the tournament lobby that should pop up if you click on the tournament

Fishmasterbaiter

Fishmasterbaiter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great Post

Great post, guys. I've employed this method, as well. You are right about the guarantees and late registrations on them. I've never heard of the term "sniping" though, lol. I think it's a great term, but poaching would be a little more fitting, haha. Have a great evening!

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

From the Main Tournament Lobby, open up the lobby for a specific tournament. The tourney lobby will have all the relevant info including (almost) how much time is left in the registration period.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont have a pc so I play only from my phone. I know how to see how many minutes left for late registry but could you see the stack sizes too???

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I dont have a pc so I play only from my phone. I know how to see how many minutes left for late registry but could you see the stack sizes too???

I misclick daily from a laptop, so I would never play from a phone. The tourney lobby is what it is in any given format, but on a computer, it has tons of relevant, sortable info.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tell me about it... A week ago I just misclicked for a 27$ tournament buyin instead of a dollar spin n go with like a 40$ bankroll. Still outraged.

So anyone else know if I can still see tourney info from mobile phone?