Small Pairs v a Draw

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I struggle playing small pocket pairs when they flop sets effectively. In certain cases, such as when one player has pushed and another player has called and I am left to act, I will throw them away (inevitably to flop a set). Most often if the pot is raised in front of me, I will simply call and take a flop, I do occasionally 3 bet with them depending on my read of my opponent, if I think they are raising with any two suited (which has become more and more of a thing) and I have seen them fold to enough 3 bets to give me reasonable assurance that they will lay down, then I will 3 bet (of course I would do this with a wide range of hands anyway). Against more solid players, I tend to call and see a flop and determine how to continue with my hand.

I also don't always fold to a cbet. Again, this is depending on my read of the opponent and depending on board texture and if the flop comes 2-5-7 rainbow and I am holding 88, then I am again, usually 3 betting my opponent.

My struggles lie in the middle. Take the posted hand (taken from real life). I am in middle position with 66. UTG+1 makes a standard 3BB raise. I call. It's folded around to the BB, who also calls. I know that UTG+1 player is a little frisky and will raise with any PP, any 2 paint and a lot of high suited connectors from EP. The BB defends his BB anytime there is a raise and a call (which is correct because he's priced in at 2BB's with 7.5 BB's and antes in the pot...so, good call on his part).

Flop comes giving me a set but with potential straight and flush draws. BB checks, UTG+2 makes his standard 1/2 pot raise. At this point, since there are only draws out there, the only hand that beating me is 88. I thought about the possibility that UTG+2 could be on a flush or straight draw because of his range and BB really could have anything, but the odds that one of them had 88 was very slim, however, I don't want to let any draws get there, so I make a pot size 3 bet. BB folds, UTG+2 calls.

Now, mathematically, this was a horrible call, but I also understand my table image as being rather frisky myself. I am not ashamed to say that I have had my hand caught in the cookie jar from time to time (I did not recall being caught bluffing earlier in this particular match, but it could have happened).

Next card off is a 10. UTG+2 bets out 1/2 pot again. There are two flush draws out there and maybe a completed straight (J9s is in this player's range for the 3BB preflop raise). I call this bet instead of raising. River comes K completing one flush draw. UTG+2 continues his 1/2 pot raise. I call and see the bad news.

This hand illustrates my frustration playing these hands. I see NOW that if I put in a raise on the turn, that UTG+2 either makes another terrible call (yet still beats me), folds or pushes if he had made the straight.

I seem to run into this situation often as I seem to 66 three times more often than AA (probably not, it just seems that way). I have tried playing them different ways but it seems most often, when I have small pocket pairs and manage to flop a set, it is ALWAYS on a scary board and the other player always chases down his draw to win.

Thoughts?? Suggestions??

I was not able to upload my screenshots but here they are:

Preflop v Villain (J10s): 47.66% v 51.77% (this was a surprise, I though a PP would have the lead)
Flop (6c8c3d): 73.47% v 26.53%
Turn (10d): 81.88% v 18.12%
River (Kc): 0% v !00%

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
edit:
Playing small pocket pairs is Always though because they are really hard to Play postflop when you don't flop a set.
with Deep stacks you basically Play 22-88/99 for set value only.
when I have small pocket pairs and manage to flop a set, it is ALWAYS on a scary board and the other player always chases down his draw to win.

Thoughts?? Suggestions??

don't give them the Chance to get there!
If you flop a set on a draw heavy board and face a cbet, just shove or reraise bigger. don't slow roll with a min reraise.

Preflop v Villain (J10s): 47.66% v 51.77% (this was a surprise, I though a PP would have the lead)

basically it's Always a flip with a PP vs 2 overcards.
the Problem with 66 is when 7788 hits the board, you Play the board and lose to any kicker higher than 6. that's the reason you have lower percentages compared to 99 vs JTs (50.95 vs 48.68).
also if you have blockers for your opponents flush you have higher %

S

sponsor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always feel 66 and lower are a trap waiting to happen. Either being counterfeited or higher pairs usually just cause trouble

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Always feel 66 and lower are a trap waiting to happen. Either being counterfeited or higher pairs usually just cause trouble

This can certainly be the case especially against good players that don't stack off with an over pair or two pair. The only times you get all the money in (if deep) is if you are up against a higher set (or better if a flush or straight comes and they start betting).

22-66 can therefore be better to just throw away in early, middle position and the blinds if you can't see a very cheap flop (after a limp for example). The problem is that someone can raise big later and you don't often get the price to call for a set OOP.

In late position 22-66 is mostly a call if you are either able to get paid for your set or can bluff people of better hands if you miss. In a full ring cash table (9-10 players) it is for most players hands that breaks about even in the long run. So they are mostly played for image and board cover if you play against people that study your game. Against unknown opponents you can throw them away to raises (especially big) PF in a deep cash game if you find them difficult to play.