Small Pairs

Socialpro29

Socialpro29

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your holding 33 on the btn blinds at 100/200 no antes you have atound 30 BB and the BB 3B your min raise makes it $1200 to go, BB has played a pretty tag style and has about 60 BB, whats your play? Ready Go!

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would just call but if there isnt 3 on flop that would be easy fold for me

CadoARAJ

CadoARAJ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would just call but if there isnt 3 on flop that would be easy fold for me

Me too. Just call and wait another 3 or a 2 4 5 [in this case ther are 10 good outs, 8 for straight and 2 for another 3] and try to control the pot until the river if there were not too much raise or just fold.

DonPatron560

DonPatron560

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
on the button small pair I would have played at the position

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Throw your hand with a pair of 3, it's pretty weak hand that would go VABank! Play also will come a stronger hand. Maybe you have decided to withdraw from the game, then it is certainly the time!

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends by situation,sometime cal,somtime fold,sometime all in.
I guess it is probaably call big blind and fold.But sometimes you must try all in.

Tech101205

Tech101205

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a simple decision
Call the raise and hope for favorable flop
Which is straight draw , set
and play accordingly
If both of these are not met then we can easily fold

Jim Brown

Jim Brown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold. Effective stacks are too shallow. It's early in the tournament. I would consider a 4 bet shove if BB had been overly loose pre-flop.

Generally you need about 8:1 implied odds to set mine
Starting with 6000 effective
1700 in the pot (hero 400 + sb 100 + bb 1200)
800 to call
4800 effective stack remaining on the flop
Assuming hero doubles up with a set+ and loses nothing more otherwise, it is 800 to win 1700 + 4800 or 8.125:1 in the best case

Then there are the times hero hits and doesn't get paid or loses with a set.

Edit:
Quick estimate for set mining is the 20/5-10 rule
hero needs to be able to win 20 times the bet to set mine (about 80bb effective here)
here should generally not risk more then 5% of stack to set mine (maybe up to 10% in special circumstances)

800 to call times 20 hero needs 16k to call

Last edited:
Yermek

Yermek

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For little money, you can see the flop. For 3 BB folds

TheMagic

TheMagic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don´t think it´s a good idea to play aggressive against a BB that has a Donkey/CS style, since "33" most of the cases, will be a flip 50/50 over any range of hands! In this situations you could call and see the flop , expecting to get you three of kind, but if don´t get there, turn off your hand.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with Jim, math is not your friend here, think its a tough spot...wish I knew more about the villan like his 3b, fold to 4b, agg factor, fold to steal, fold to flop, etc

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call and wait for another 3 and then all in haha ��

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Small pairs always go to catch Seth )))

Y

Yura Nabok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It depends by situation,sometime cal,somtime fold,sometime all in.:D

Socialpro29

Socialpro29

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Love the feedback here, as played I did fold only to have AA cracked the following hand to be eliminated but I liked the fold in this spot, I think the only other play would be a 4B shove as a bluff here but the way the BB was playing I felt like I had no fold equity so 4B bluffing would only turn into a best case scenario of flipping but most likely was dominated here. I think just calling here is a mistake as mentioned even if i do hit the unlikely set i still might not get paid off and when i hit nothing which will be the majority of the time I am giving up quite a few chips and have to fold the flop if he C-bets which is highly likely. I think calling is "ICM suicide" in this spot and stage of tourney.

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fold was definately the correct play, as a few people already mentioned you didnt even have the implied odds to set mine, so you may have hit it and if you had you would of most certainly have got the full stack but your chances of hitting it arent as great as ppl here are suggesting, i always laugh at players in my own head that call stupid size raises cus i know myself that they may crack me and knock me out, but the ammount of times they are going to pay me off pre flop and fold is worth it.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would set-mine. your are holding a pair after all. 2bb+ is not something that will;criple you that much if you miss

H

hamidbox

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Best way is fold the hand doesnt matter what the flop is the guy will still bet or you can reraise allin and hope its a coinflip but i would fold

M

Mauno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually i would rather fold. Only if I pay BB abyway and can call to see flop..

R

rupa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call and wait for another 3 ha ha ha ha ha

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would set-mine. your are holding a pair after all. 2bb+ is not something that will;criple you that much if you miss

its for 1/6th of his stack, and even though it will leave him with 20bb or just over doesnt mean set mining is good in this spot, with 30bb we know the opponent is TAG so you can steal so much more from him when he doesnt have a hand so why throw away 10bb on a set mine, and why feed the tight player more chips on all the times you miss the flop

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The hand is weak and to see a flop with it is not worthy. With such a small stack, your are risking to get even more short and that could cause you a problems. It depends very much of the estimation of your opponent.

C

chng1t

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when you have 40bb or less and somebody 3bets you you have only 2 choises: 4bet (or go All in) or fold. when you call 3bet you will only hit 33% of the time, so if you open to 2x and opponent 3bets to 6bb and you have 25bb total, you will lose more than 1/5 of your stack at least 67% of the time. which is bad. All in or fold. GL

fly2tsky

fly2tsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mostly when you go with small pairs, you need to hit the set in order to outcard opponents. bear that in mind. A pair is just a pair, even AA.

M

max chong

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my opinion is better to fold in such a situation