Small MTTs with unlimited add-ons: Thoughts?

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are you thoughts on smallish MTTs (4 tables) with unlimited add-ons before the halfway mark?

I've actually finished in first in one without rebuying or adding on.

But I notice that it seems like you can pretty much buy your way to the final table.

Thoughts on this format?

Another thing I noticed is that everyone plays extremely loose. They call anything and everything because they know they're just going to buy more chips. So I never bluff and play tighter than Dan Harrington.

These always have pretty hefty prizepools, but like I said: it seems like you can just buy your way to the final table if you really wanted to.

But you can sure stack the calling stations before the break!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually if the site is offering a guaranteed prize pool, this is how they build it up so they only have to pay the minimum, if anything.

You can't really buy yourself to the final table since late registration/re-enter is only for a limited time, and once it closes, you're still about 100+ players from reaching the money. It does give players multiple chances to build big stacks before the late registration closes, but that doesn't guarantee a final table spot.

My strategy is similar to yours: tight is right, don't bluff, and get your chips in with big hands against loose call stations. However, if the prize pool is big enough, buy in again if you go busto (if the stack:blinds is low enough for you to maneuver).

Ozzzzy

Ozzzzy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are you thoughts on smallish MTTs (4 tables) with unlimited add-ons before the halfway mark?

I've actually finished in first in one without rebuying or adding on.

But I notice that it seems like you can pretty much buy your way to the final table.

Thoughts on this format?

Another thing I noticed is that everyone plays extremely loose. They call anything and everything because they know they're just going to buy more chips. So I never bluff and play tighter than Dan Harrington.

These always have pretty hefty prizepools, but like I said: it seems like you can just buy your way to the final table if you really wanted to.

But you can sure stack the calling stations before the break!

No point to make a lot of add-ons if u play really good, just 1 addon to protect yourself from badbeats, I think thats enough.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with philthy. It seems like players who were pushing all in with any two early and busting out time and time again but then buying their way back in until they finally hit and build up a mountain of chips are the ones sitting at the final table. It's frustrating but they haven't bought their way there, they are just using a loose strategy to build a stack. I prefer to do it your way, 1 buy-in and play super tight and build a stack but if I bust, then rebuy if the stacks are low enough to maneuver yourself into contention.

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't really buy yourself to the final table since late registration/re-enter is only for a limited time, and once it closes, you're still about 100+ players from reaching the money.
I was asking about small MTTs. Like 4 or 5 tables.

Because of the small playerpool I can keep track of a lot of the players, and I notice that most of the final table peeps were 1.) playing badly, 2.) bought about 8-10 full add-ons at break, 3.) continued to play badly slowly bleeding chips til they final tabled.

Usually at break, there's about 20 players left and most of them are adding on like maniacs.

I couldn't imagine rebuying 2 or 3 times AND buying 8 add-ons at break and not finishing in the money. I'd feel like a chump.

I never rebuy or add-on in these. I took down a $500 first place finish with just one $30 entry once, but it seems hard to beat the maniacs who increase their stack x10 buy adding on at break.