Skill, or an idiot having good luck?

G

GSMTH

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I welcome all opinions on the following situation.

My stack: 305K Villain stack: 443K
Near the money and on the sb, I am dealt 97s. villain limps, I call, 3-way hand.
flop comes: Q96 rainbow, I bet 75%, bb folds, villain calls.
pot is now 111K, I have 268K left.
Turn brings 4, flush draw on board, I go all in and villain calls with A9o.
River brings A (as usual when I'm in such a situation)

Would you have called this? If so, why?

G

GSMTH

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I made a typo, flop was Q97, giving me double pair!

D

dcipher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably Not

If I catch any scent that there might be a flush on the board and it ain't mine I'm folding. No call here.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I had a situation like that of your opponent, then after your second raise I would fold into a fold card. To defend card 9 despite the fact that there is also a queen on the flop after a big raise was not worth it. It was a move for luck.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Happens all the time. You of course want him to make the call on the turn. Unfortunately the river did work out for him. In this case you had bad luck. But, in general limping weaker hands like 97s out of position is often fraught with risk. There are lots of ways to lose with that hand in that position - you found one of them. Any sense of commitment from villain is almost always a bad sign and a good reason not to put a lot of money in the pot.

Last edited:
C

celtics33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you bet 80% of pot (37k) and he called. alarm bells should have went off that this guy could have something worthy even on a dry board as this. since you didnt have the nuts and being that this is before the money i would have been more cautious and went with some pot control from the start. if i did bet i would make a smaller bet (35%-45%) to start, save some chips in order to maybe follow up with an bigger C-bet on the turn making my hand seem a bit more legit. 2 big stacks like that I would not want to go viking-hammer to see who flinches first before the money. definitely not going all-in and risking tournament life after such a raise-call. with that said did he have some read on you? maybe in previous hands you were raising while floating? or caught bluffing more then once? i ask this because on his part it didnt make much sense risking a big portion of his stack praying to the poker-gods for that A on the river. i like to be aggressive near the money but not wreckless with my stack, especially if i dont have the nuts. good luck next tournament!

Manjerica1

Manjerica1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yes, because when you go all in you are not representing a strong hand for me...
200% pot? A9 still bottom of the range of call.
There are other things you must consider, what your 'play style' represents to the table, maybe this opponent has some read on you :D

V

valts102

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unlucky for you,maybe you he had some read on you,but i would fold on the turn that hand

alexand8r

alexand8r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only three cards (7) could save your position. He had more chances, he would have won if one of the following cards had fallen: 2 nines, 3 aces, 3 queens, in total 2+3+3=8 potential cards. Of course, I don’t know how he played all the time and whether you used the weaknesses of his game. But in this case, on the turn, you saw that you couldn’t get a straight. All-in was a bad idea.

najjah166

najjah166

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
me in your place being close to the money I would have thrown 97 simply

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played aggressively, he also played aggressively!So next time you need to be a little careful.When you have two pairs this is not a victory, there are many factors in the game.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think you did much wrong here. I would have bet less on the flop myself just to keep in his A9 type hands but 75% as you made it did not make him fold anyway which in the long run is what we want. I think playing pre flop as you did with suited one gappers is a no brainer. Then on the flop as I said I would have gone about half pot or maybe less because the board is rainbow, we have two pair so we have two set blockers and I doubt he is limping with QQ so we know he does not (or very likely not) have a set. Therefore he either has J10 87, one pair, or on our darkest days Q9 or Q7. We are crushing almost everything he has at this point and since we started the hand with about 20 BBs (my best guess) I don't think I would ever be folding this hand.

W

whyfold that

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes i wonder the same thing morons having dumb luck

L

Lochika

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have call there if I was the villian.
You got it in good, that what is important. Bad beats are happening to anyone.:)

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
he played at all risk and luck benefited him.
I think that was it, luck.

mardi1987

mardi1987

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips

Near the money and on the sb, I am dealt 97s. villain limps, I call, 3-way hand.

In his case, I wouldn't call you, but I wouldn't play like you ... I avoid pushing when I'm close to money if I don't have a complete hand, especially against a bigger stack. It happens to me that the river gives strange cards, but it happens. I'll send you a hand later

Attachments

• suckout.jpg
    suckout.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling a raise with 9-7 was your first mistake,,, would you feel better if he had A-Q? :deal:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This thread is more than a year old and belong in "bad beats and vents".

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

The overbet on the turn is just unnecessary. I don't know why you are upset, you overplayed and got called by a better hand. The A on the river didn't even matter as he already outkicked you.

Here's an example of a much crazier luckbox. This was final two today, me against this other guy who has god on his side today. Dude is terrible but catching cards left and right. His style is to throw out a min bet no matter what.

Anyway, I start out down roughly 10:1 in chips. I won three straight (I was ahead everytime the chips went in). I actually took the lead. I had A9os (same as your opponent's hand), min raised he called. He leads out on J23 board with the usual min bet. I raised him to 4xBB. He calls.

Turn's a 7 he leads out min again. I call. River is an 8 and he again does the same thing. I called to see what he has... 89os.

He had nothing. But he caught a 3outer anyway.

Then final hand, I had QQ vs. his J6 os. As usual he is just not folding. He flops a 6 and then turns a J and I lose.

Now that is luck.

For your opponent, it might have been a loose call, but he had you from start to finish. You can only blame yourself for overplaying 97, which is not a good hand btw.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some good advice already given (I especially liked the posts from Rowdy Greg and celtics33, but there were other good ones too), but if you really want to know how "unlucky" you were or not, then you can put the hand into a poker calculator such as the free download Equilab :)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Your SB defending range is too wide IMO, especially near the money bubble. The results of the hand don't matter.
Correct the first mistake - and ya won't have to worry about anything that happens after the flop.

oarroyo

oarroyo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PY
Chips
Everything is skill in poker !! But if you need good luck to be with you !! Why are you unlucky there is no point having a pair of aces

D

deputat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
luck or luck skill is always my opponents weapon

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Who knows what could of that been?Although if I was in the same situation id always call all in because i already have a pair on the board and if i get A i win the whole pot so yeah pretty simple.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You don't mention the blind levels, but either 5/10k or 6/12k, you have 25-30BB the opponent 40BB+.

in my opinion, you played it totally wrong, especially near to the money, and it was easily readable you don't represent any strong hand, neither preflop or flop, you could have max. Qx, max Q8o, Q10o.

I would play it, if i call preflop - hate to call the limper machines, as i dont know where i am, for me it is fold or raise never call preflop - as a simple check/fold, near to the money, i never would go allin on turn with a mid pair with flush draw vs higher stack. Also the opponent must be a big fish, basically because he limps an A9o shows that. Must be some micro level, usually they do, play total nonsense hands like this.... must find something on the flop and after don't care anything, just try to push everything in, maybe the opponent folds it.... as that's pretty nonsense that he doesnt have anything and call a 75% pot bet on the flop....

This hand doesnt have much to do with poker.... both from yours and from your opponent point of view.... but i guess the hole tourney, table went like this, limping with anything, 3-5 calls, lets see someone finds something on the flop, then go nuts...

Try to avoid fields, tourneys like this, or play them very aggressively, after limpings 6-10BB raises, and put them allin with top pair in hand or board/combo draw/set on flop otherwise check/fold. If some finds out to call it with their crappy hands.... that's highly profitable vs. the 'cant fold any hands without see the flop' type nuts....

Oh and the answer for your question: no wouldnt call, but wouldnt play it from your opponent point of view like this either. It's preflop bet, flop bet, fold for reraise, check/fold on turn, allin on river