Sitting out in Tournaments.

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen folks do it... either start a tournament late, by sitting out early, or sitting out mid way with a reasonable stack... only to jump back in later and finish up.
I. personally tend to become engrossed in the game and am constantly monitoring the table to see how guys are playing...
I also hate to miss out on good cards i may be dealt...
What is your feeling on this?
I would specifically be interested in hearing from people who sit out, based on a technique...

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Especially in freerolls, where the money is quite easy to make, an early double and sit-out can virtually guarantee a cash. Some people see that as a victory and are happy to increase their bankroll by $0.04...

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
MOD message:
This thread is moved to tournament poker discussion

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I have also seen some players do that, but that does not cause any discomfort for me, have little or a lot of stack, whether for some kind of strategy or not, from my point of view that does not affect my game, I have no acquaintances or friends to do that, but many times I think they do it to avoid "tragedies" before reaching awards

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it should be noted that some players are important to get into the prize area. Then there will be a feeling of a small victory that you're not wasting time.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those who play poorly and randomly increase the stack, but are afraid that they will lose it, quit playing in the hope of winning prizes. Sometimes a player is in a country where the freeroll is very late and the next day for him to work. He is forced to go to bed.

fur90

fur90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think about logg in and play all in shootout tournaments . Becouse when i see game and i am logged in i win more times . I dont win when i am not see this game . What do you rhinks? [pokerstars)

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really get the strategy either. If you want to protect your stack just tighten up more. No reason to miss those pocket aces to go clean the basement.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Its odd why people do play this way byt there is nothing you can do about it. These players just care about the min cash which is silly but that's there prerogative I guess.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I've seen folks do it... either start a tournament late, by sitting out early, or sitting out mid way with a reasonable stack... only to jump back in later and finish up.
I. personally tend to become engrossed in the game and am constantly monitoring the table to see how guys are playing...
I would specifically be interested in hearing from people who sit out, based on a technique...

Some times it can be profitable to sit out in an MTT especially when close to the Bubble or a ladder jump, I once folded AA in the big blind when someone pushed all-in pre-flop. For one simple reason.
If I had called and lost I would have been the bubble boy as he had more chips than me. Luckily another player at the table did call and I saw that my aces would have been beaten by a flush. So it was a good fold, also as the player that called the all-in became the bubble boy and left the table and the post bubble frenzy started and I was able to bust smaller stacks and ladder up the pay table finishing on the final table and getting decent prize money.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the best strategy is to sit down at the start of the game and put all the luck on your side by playing all these spots. it is more difficult to build your stack when you start a short stack game and the blinds are high. you have no room for error and you are forced to win your flips and especially all-in preflop to see the flop.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some times it can be profitable to sit out in an MTT especially when close to the Bubble or a ladder jump

Its never profitable to sit out from an MTT, since you still need to pay the blinds and antes. Even if you sit in, you can still choose to fold every hand, and you can stall action, which is beneficial, if you are trying to secure a min-cash. If you sit out, your hand is insta-folded, which makes your table play faster and blind you away. So the only reason to ever sit out, is, if you have to, because you are busy with something else :)

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try not to sit out, you can miss a lot of good hands that can increase my stack, thereby giving the opportunity to win the tournament.

A

Alexio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in fact, this is not a problem, for me personally, on the contrary, it means that people lose the opportunity to win with the best hand that could be dealt to them, lose the blinds, pay antes. It so happens that a person has a bad Internet connection, so he cannot return to the game, this is already a much bigger problem and an offensive defeat (if he does not return to the game in time, then if he plays well he has a chance to win even with a small amount chips).
Usually this situation is observed in freerolls, try to play tournaments where the buy-in is not less than $ 1000, in such tournaments there is hardly anyone in the sitout.
I'll reveal my little trick, at first, when I didn't really understand the strategy of the game, going into a sit-out and observing the behavior at the tables helped me not to enter the game too often and wait for most of the people to leave the game, since beginners like to go all-in with almost any hand, considering such aggression to be profitable, and they also do not want to waste time and want to win a lot of chips at once. They also saw that I had a short stack and went all in with almost any hand against me, which allowed me to put up strong hands, gain stacks and sit out again, waiting for prizes. It helped build a bankroll right from the start. But it doesn't really work, so you need to play well.

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Good morning!
I follow the same tactics as you. I constantly monitor the game so as not to miss if I get dealt good cards.
I always start the tournament from the beginning. I very rarely go to the end of late registration (only in tournaments with a smooth structure and at least 25-30 bb)!
Good luck at the tables!

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I also like to start playing from the beginning, but still it does not affect the result. Sometimes there are tournaments in which you can take part late, and as a result you take first place. That is, I believe that the time of registration is not a decisive factor.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's okay to enter the tournament later. But of course, you are right! Right when you play immediately, you are able to assess the opponents and understand how your table is playing. I am absolutely sure that you should not start a game if you are not sure that you can finish it. At medium and large limits, it is very difficult to meet players who will not play on purpose and wait for the late or middle stage of the tournament. This is only possible at super micro limits, the first 40 minutes after the player enters the tournament, when players start playing in a crazy way and can increase the pot up to 5-7 times.. I do not know if this is a strategy or not, but it looks very stupid... But sometimes I see how they can do it... PokerStars... :(

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can play the bubble like this. If the stack allows you to survive it, you can leave for now.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I "sit out" all the time. Both live and online. I go smoke, use the Bathroom, get something to eat, stretch my legs, check the price of bitcoin, I have even went to the store (both live and online).

This is just another example of FOMO (fear of missing out).

People are sooo worried that as soon as they stop looking at their hands they will miss AA or KK. 1 hand (even if it is AA or KK ) Isn't going to make or break my game.
To me, it's more important to be fresh and focused.

W

wizz99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sit out if I really have to, but try to avoid and end up running round the house and listening out for the action alerts! Never a good time to sit out unless you have a big stack in a satellite.