Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone.

Everyone already knows that three and a half months ago I resumed poker after ten years of absence (in the previous era I played about 7-8 months but only freerolls mtt and sits of nanolimits, and dons of 5 dollars but not with my money) .
At this time I still did not decide my specialization (anyway I am doing my bankroll little by little with freerolls and playing a little bit of all: cash nl2 more the same as 10 years ago, minus the dons).
As always, my questions are from beginner: the first is that I have noticed in the sit and go (I play frerolls of this specialty in Winamax and others of 0.10 in other rooms like 888 and Bet365) there are some players who become absent (not always after having doubled or tripled their stack, but with their initial stack).
I do not understand if it is a strategy (some, not all, appear near the bubble), a problem of Internet connection or neural connection, hehe).
Could it be that they sit up to the bubble because they only know how to play ICM and not with low blinds?

Thanks in advance and my apologies for sometimes asking such silly questions.

Best regards from Buenos Aires.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are no advantages to sitting out in any kind of tournament, so typically its because of connection issues, or because people are busy doing something else. The lower stakes, you play, the less people will tend to care, so sitting out will be more common.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's probably just that they don't care or less internet, but there's some chance it's a conscious strategy. If you're playing double-or-nothing / satellite format, and know you have enough chips to finish ITM, then you could just sit out (so long as you're sure about making it in!).

In very soft 9-mans where people are knocking each other out constantly, you might also sit out the early blind levels. I agree with Fundiver that this wouldn't be a good idea, but if you're really unsure about early stage play, some might do that to guarantee making it to higher blinds like you suggest in your OP.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I actually know someone who does it and think this maybe why it happens. To her getting the cash is the most important thing to make. She will go on post an fold so she is not tempted to play a hand and loose the min cash. She misses the point that the cash is nice but going for the win in the most important thing.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It has to be conection problem

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you very much for your comments and advice.

Thanks for always being there.

Best regards from Buenos Aires.

L

luskata27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me personally, there is no logic in strategy. If you can make a big stack and wait a while to get the game going. But almost

B

BasTid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played these sit and goes quite a bit while I built my bankroll. What I have found is the field is usually down to 5 by the time the blinds are 100-200. While I agree with everyone who says it isn't worth it.

I can see the logic behind it. It would reduce variance not playing hands and also by that time most of the manic's would be out.
That said the disadvantage is massive as when it comes to getting into the bubble as you is almost always be the low stack of 4-6 players other players when you "wake up".

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no good reason to sit out on purpose. If real life comes knocking on your door, gotta go.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Attracted to the Min Cash

I actually know someone who does it and think this maybe why it happens. To her getting the cash is the most important thing to make. She will go on post an fold so she is not tempted to play a hand and loose the min cash. She misses the point that the cash is nice but going for the win in the most important thing.

I can see her point.

If a sit-and-go takes approximately 1.5 hours to play and she min cashes a LOT but only plays for 30-45 minutes -- she prefers to play this way.

And, of course sometimes she does better than min cash.

So, for her the math (and cash) makes sense.

Good luck !

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If initially your main goal in the tournament was to get into the prize zone, then this is completely justified. But if you play to take first place, I don’t quite understand these actions, so in my opinion these actions (i.e. inaction) make it very difficult to go to the final table !!

P

paul13uk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
book in and not turn up

Some players seem to think its ok to book in to a tournament and not turn up
i have been at a table where i,am the only player in the hand its great as i get all the blinds but its so boring

J

Jadeyt92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Loads of players do this in double or nothing sit and gos. And most actually get lucky

G

Germanets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In most cases - I think that sitting out is some kind of issue.. For me - 90% of sitting out is poker suite issues or networking issue.. Sometimes there some urgent situations with pets or calling me out from home, but it much more rare situations..
Also, as I see on the stream - some regular players can be sit out for few hands, when they play few tables in same time and there is important hand or play on another table..

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
using this strategy, wouldn't it be more interesting to wait for the last moments of LR?

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He prolly registered for the SNG and then his wife picked fight with him for playing too much poker.

Costy69

Costy69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sitting out in a Ait n go

There really no reaon to sit out in a sit n go because they dont last that long and if you have enough chips to sit out that should mean most players are gone and why sit out?