Shove or open aqs

G

guch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was hj 5 handed aqs 20bbs bs 500/1k i wonder if shove was right spot or should just open fold to tight player 3bet and call off 1 smaller stack

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should call to see the flop if the flop gets you an A then youre probably favourite to win the hand

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was hj 5 handed aqs 20bbs bs 500/1k i wonder if shove was right spot or should just open fold to tight player 3bet and call off 1 smaller stack
What were the other stack sizes? What was the action before it got to you?

G

guch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was first to act since player before me folded there was one 34k stack one 30k others like 18k , player that called me was reasonable tight i believe . And also it was like 12k stack on bb

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
okay you have more than 20bb in this spot shoving is not the right play since it's for short stacked 15bb <. you just open the pot 2.5x. if you have a tight image then they will respect your raise. if you have a loose image and someone 3bet you, you should just call since AQs is playin well post-flop. if you open the pot and someone shoves you're goin to flip most of the times.

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise and call off?

if villain calls bet all flops that represent your range?

Shoving isn't really the worst thing, its not optimal by ANY means but your still going to pick up 1.5 BB's and put yourself in a ton of flips. A thinking player might interpret that kind of shove as a 33-66 "I know I have the best hand but I'm not good enough to play postflop so im going to do this" type of situation.

Ideally with a 20 BB stack you would hope that a player would open so you could reshove, therefore giving yourself the opportunity to pick up a worthwhile amount of dead money or possibly contest in a flip that would put you back in contention.

bprpm

bprpm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of people thinks that AQ is nuts, and a lot of players shove, i prefer to see the flops always!

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ is a good hand and must put value. Does have to bet for it.

I would probably bet 3 BB and see what happens.

josipjosip

josipjosip

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not shoove from early position specialy UTG2 and dont ahove at all without flop

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends of stage tournament in early stage is not recommended to shove, but in later or bubble if you have less than 14bb is recommended to shove, otherwise is better to do a small rise.

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all-in if the tournament is the forced bets phase and 3-4 bb if it is not. but try to figure out why I'm saying this. And please post the full hand to help us.

Jrbobdobbs64

Jrbobdobbs64

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bah its 5 handed. Why would you be sweating anything with AQ suited. Raise it hard....shove it...whatever. 20 bigs is a lot to shove. 2.5 offers little to no fold equity against a proven BB defender. If you are comfortable post flop make a shrimp raise other wise raise it 4x like a pimp!

PershingSt

PershingSt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would open the AQ , and then evaluate depending on the action thereafter . I don't think open shoving with this stack is the most optimal play , even though it is definately +EV . If you just open I believe the reshove ranges are usually wider than someone's call shove range therefore you have abetter chance of getting your money in ahead .

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would open the AQ , and then evaluate depending on the action thereafter . I don't think open shoving with this stack is the most optimal play , even though it is definately +EV . If you just open I believe the reshove ranges are usually wider than someone's call shove range therefore you have abetter chance of getting your money in ahead .
ding ding ding

Open bigger vs serial blind defenders, call any shove

Tight player would have to be monumentally nitty for me to fold AQ there