Shove or Fold Poker: Three Key Spots with Katie Dozier and Collin Moshman (Video)

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
We have all found ourselves in this situation in poker tournaments. Shortstacked and in the position where our only real options are to shove all-in or fold. While you should definitely be opening your shove range, not surprisingly there are some guidelines you should consider in order to ensure you're making the right decions.

In this video Katie and Collin discuss three key shove or fold spots and the reasoning and calculations behind it:

How do you handle your play when you are the shortstack ninja?

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We have all found ourselves in this situation in poker tournaments. Shortstacked and in the position where our only real options are to shove all-in or fold. While you should definitely be opening your shove range, not surprisingly there are some guidelines you should consider in order to ensure you're making the right decions.

In this video Katie and Collin discuss three key shove or fold spots and the reasoning and calculations behind it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTc8hnxAyz8

How do you handle your play when you are the shortstack ninja?
Cool. is there a section of these videos?

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great video, the advice to the other shove has helped me a lot, especially when it is short stack.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
With 20bb is still a little premature. You also need to evaluate the profile of the players and have a little patience in this moment, because who has more chips will probably try to put more pressure.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi
thanks for the video .. is excellent!

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent video,i take a pic off the push ranges and i will print them,i allways have lots off dificulties when in push or fold position.

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didnt know CC had a youtube channel. I like the site reviews.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
With 20bb is still a little premature. You also need to evaluate the profile of the players and have a little patience in this moment, because who has more chips will probably try to put more pressure.

They are talking about Nash equilibrium ranges for profitable pushes against a general population.

If you know for sure that someone is super-tight you can adjust by folding more when they raise. And open-push more (or even mini-raise).

And if you know that someone likes to bluff post (or overplay a hand post) you can trap and just call with say AA and KK.

But if you play against unknown players, or better players, this is a good starting point for a strategy that at least keeps you from being exploited. And is pretty close to optimal in most cases.

You can't cover every player type and situation in a 3 min video.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This was a terrific video. I really like that in this one they included the ranges for these shoves. This is one area of my game that I have been trying to improve because I am not a great short-stack player. I had a couple of players on my league team that were great at playing the short-stack but I think I learned a lot from this video. Keep up the good work guys.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The correct push / fold game, greatly affects the victory in the tournament, thank you. But I also like stop and go, as this slightly reduces the effect of variance.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I don’t know, I understand that I’m not against the math, but I'm scared to play in such ranges, I always want to give my tournament life on my hand better. Maybe I'm playing too tight.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, very well explained the push / fold when the batteries are small, I apply these tips in my game because I just think that sometimes eh played that way or similar to what has been explained.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks xOneCoolHandx, Ammje, and others - We’re very glad you guys enjoyed this video!

Shove/fold poker is very important for sure and we’ve got more content we’re planning on this topic :)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And thanks Pentazepam for your insightful comments, you’re exactly right on that. These are good guidelines and ranges, but it’s possible to do better if you have good reads on your opponents and can play exploitively to take advantage of their specific tendencies.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
very good video, good advice yet but with little stack, then I will follow this precious tips

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Good job on yet another educative video.I think I need to get and study this "ICMizer" gimmick!

And thanks Pentazepam for your insightful comments, you’re exactly right on that. These are good guidelines and ranges, but it’s possible to do better if you have good reads on your opponents and can play exploitively to take advantage of their specific tendencies.

That's why the only absolute truth in poker strategy is:

"It depends..."

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Katie and Collin, Shove or Fold, well being Shortstacked there are not many options you have, always the real options are going to push everything in or fold being Shortstacked, the position and strength of your hand will always make the reason for your decision , excellent video guys, you do know a lot about poker, greetings from Ecuador

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Three situations in which we can play with our short stack, depending on whether a player has pushed before you while looking at the size of his stack and strength of our hand, to make the decision to go All In or Fold.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
good video and def helps to have a chart when going through these spots. Faced a similar situation today in a CC game where CO opened and I stuck my 10bbs in with 33. I need to do more study on these spots.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are talking about Nash equilibrium ranges for profitable pushes against a general population.

If you know for sure that someone is super-tight you can adjust by folding more when they raise. And open-push more (or even mini-raise).

And if you know that someone likes to bluff post (or overplay a hand post) you can trap and just call with say AA and KK.

But if you play against unknown players, or better players, this is a good starting point for a strategy that at least keeps you from being exploited. And is pretty close to optimal in most cases.

You can't cover every player type and situation in a 3 min video.

All right. We must proceed from a mathematically reliable logic of actions, but adjust it for specific players at the table.

But I also agree with acidburnfx - 15-20 BB is still a pretty good stack to play not only on the push or fold strategy. It’s time to make such decisions when the stack becomes less than 10 BB.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ranges seems a little bit loose to me. I don't know if I would shove 65s for 15bbs or K5s. I think it is better them as a raise-fold.

Also, I'd like to know how we should shove when there's no ante.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
In these cases when I am short stacked and after many mtt levels, I search for cards that I can go all in and get back to the game. Especially after a bad beat which leads you behind many players in the game!

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You guys are completely right: There are definitely times when you can be correct to deviate from these guidelines, such as when you’re facing passive and predictable players. They’re just good general strategy!

Without an ante, we recommend generally playing shove/fold with less than 10-12bb when first in, and less than 20bb over a raise (similar to when there is an ante in this case).

123cards321

123cards321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks a lot for this post Tammy I wasnt aware you had a youtube channel I will start seeing those videos right away i will comment later about them

Folding in Poker