Should I stay with sit'n go?

M

Magrgo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys I study poker about 4 months from now and already lost 10$ on partypoker like 2 months ago, now I mostly play freerolls or sometimes play money to pratice.
But I have a question.So my bankroll is now 5,32$ on pokerstars and I'm think I'm gonna deposit 15$ more, so start from 20$.
I prefer sit and go's but lot of people say that cash games are more profitable nowadays and there is more Fish there.I think I better at sit'n gos but I have a bit of experience in both so yeah.What do you think?
Shall I study about cash games a bit and start to build my bankroll on NL2 or stay with sng and play 25 cent mtts?:rolleyes:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is up to you, but regardless what game format, you choose, 20$ is not really a bankroll, and you need to stop seeing it as such. Its basically playmoney, and it means nothing, if you lose it.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Invest your time in the game that gives you love the most, not the one that appears to be most profitable. If you want to become a profitable player you must have a passion for the game of poker. Personally I would say tournaments but each person has their own path to follow.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There

I prefer Zoom or Cash indeed
There are more fishes in that sea
And tell you I made a decent amount there
Rgds

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's more or less a matter of your prefference. You should try both. Good cash players not always are good at tournament play and vice versa. You need to find out yourself what suits you better.

Cash games:
- you can define your stack (short or deep) yourself
- you can quit or pause when you want
- require more patience and more post flop play (with a deep stack)
- not very spectacular - you usually gain small amounts of money
- on PS you can cash-out your all-ins which reduces variance

Tournaments:
- can play only if you have a lot of time but still you can end in 5 minutes
- can't quit or pause for too long
- you can (and should) play much more hands than in cash
- very spectacular - you can win hundreds or thousands of dollars with only few $ buy-in
- variance is enourmous - you can keep losing many tournaments in a row even when you are a winning player
- you can't set your stack size, you will have to be able to play both deep and short and adapt

There are also single table S&G tournaments. They are something in between cash and tournament play. Many people play those regulary. Much smaller variance, lower time constrains but they keep the tournament play style.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Play where you feel best and where you have the most visible results. Given that you are a beginner in online gaming, you need some experience until you make a profit

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play Zoom 3 tables. If you can't , then four reg tables. Don't play 25 cents. So low, waste of time. Play Sit and GO at least 3.50. Maybe $1 is good. If the fee is low. Search for lower fee. If the fee is like 10-12%, then play SnG. STT or 18 man...50-60 buy ins at least. For roll...
If you drop to $10, then play 25 cents 45 man, reg speed. Only this. $20 = cash tables. $100, SnG-STT, or 45 man, 90 man 50 cents SNG-MTT.

Your "target" must be $3.50-$7 SnG, NL10. At least $300 roll...Then you can play only this. Build a roll.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
About the fishes, where is easier...Depends on the room. You talk about Pokerstars. I think in Pokerstars NL10 is the best option for you. This must be your target. $300 roll. You can start with NL2, Then some SnG. $1, $1.50, $3.50. 50 cents MTT SnG. When you have $300, play only NL10. If you have a profit, big roll, then think about the other rooms. About MTT in Stars. At least 5$ for MTT. $3 for hyper and rebuy. At least. If you have $1k roll. And you don't want to leave Stars. Then MTT + SNG $15.

This is the easiest way. More easier - don't play in Stars.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My first reply was a bit short, so I like to add a few more points, because I think, this is a question, many new poker players have. Now first off all you need to define, why you are playing poker? Is it mostly for fun, or is it for profit? If its mostly for fun, then just play, whatever you enjoy, and dont lose money you need for something else. Make a budget but dont think about bankroll management, because its a meaningless concept, if you play for fun.

If you play for profit, you should still enjoy playing poker, because otherwise you will quickly end up hating, what you are doing. But you also need to set some realistic intermediate targets, that make it worth your time. I am not talking about being a pro or anything, but if you play as a side hustle, you should probably be able to win at least 200-300$/month, if you live in a poor country and 500-1.000$/month, if you live in a rich country. Otherwise its just not worth your time.

So as the previous poster said, for cash games you need to get to at a minimum 10NL, and this is only, if you live in a poor country. Winning 20-30BI per month at 10NL is realistic for a good part time player. If you live in a rich country, you probably want to reach at least 50NL, if you are going to play cash games for profit, because otherwise its just not worth your time.

As the previous poster said, you can start at 2NL or 5NL, but starting any lower than 10NL is not about "building a bankroll". Its about practicing and proving, that you can beat 2NL and 5NL to reduce the risk, you end up as a losing rather than winning player at 10NL or anything higher than that. If your winrate is negative, then no amount of "bankroll" will protect you from eventually losing it all, if you continue playing, and losing kind of defy the whole idea of playing for profit.

The next question then is, which games are best to play, if you play for profit? And as others have said, you need to try different games to find out, what work best for you. In my experience though it is easier to make money in MTTs than in either cash games or STTs, and the main reason is, you pay less rake per hour, you play. This is especially important, if there is no meaningfull rakeback, as is often the case these days.

However MTTs are a rather complex game form, so I dont recommend starting with them. To become a good MTT player you should probably have played at least 100.000 cash game hands and 1.000 6-45 man SnGs, before you even start to think about playing MTTs. The cash games will teach you postflop play and the SnGs will teach you short stacked play and ICM.

To play MTTs I recommend a bankroll of at least 500$, since this allow you to comfortably play a mix of 2-5$ MTTs, which is wide enough to give you good volume on most poker sites. I also recommend not doing this on PokerStars, because their rake is higher than anywhere else. I have personally done well in the MTTs on 888 Poker, but I am sure, many other sites can work as well. With MTTs you should be able to have an ROI of maybe 30% for micro and low stakes, and for that reason rake-back and bonuses are not to important.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must play where you feel most comfortable and where you think you best manage the strategy, this can only be measured by observing where you have earned more money

SwaggyJ

SwaggyJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys I study poker about 4 months from now and already lost 10$ on partypoker like 2 months ago, now I mostly play freerolls or sometimes play money to pratice.
But I have a question.So my bankroll is now 5,32$ on pokerstars and I'm think I'm gonna deposit 15$ more, so start from 20$.
I prefer sit and go's but lot of people say that cash games are more profitable nowadays and there is more Fish there.I think I better at sit'n gos but I have a bit of experience in both so yeah.What do you think?
Shall I study about cash games a bit and start to build my bankroll on NL2 or stay with sng and play 25 cent mtts?:rolleyes:

Stick with sngs. Poker is a grind and you won't see fabulous results off the bat. You've invested a lot in SNGs. Switching 100% to cash games means you have been mentally defeated. Your sole mindset was set on SNGs so stick with it. At the end of the day it's your call on the game of choice. Winning at SnGs will be much more sweeter once you start seeing results.

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well in my opinion noone can help you with this one, you can only tell answer yourself. Your bankroll is not that big, i believe you are mainly playing for fun, so i suggest that you play what you enjoy more, from reading your post i guess that is Sit n goes. As for how much fishes are there, at 25 cents sit n goes, there is a huge chance that almost everyone is more or less fish, you can definietely become profitable playing these games and move up the stakes slowly.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Friend you are only at the beginning of the poker path :) I think a cash game at the beginning of the road is not the best solution for any player :) SNG is really the right decision) When I started I also went into the cash game and lost a lot on it.. I had to learn tournament poker and play SNG. Of course I don't regret it, but I think tournament poker is real poker) Cash game, spin & go, is entertainment to take time, no more)

I think play sng and satellites for micro MTT) this is a good platform for learning poker and to gain your first experience) good luck ;)