should I have called the river bet with top two pair

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing in my pup Poker League tournament on Wednesday. To start with in our Pub Poker League we start with 2,000 chips the blinds are 5 and 10. early position racist dirty chips fold fold small blind calls and I was the big blind with King Jack and I decide to call 30 there's about I think a hundred in the pot already. The Flop goes five deuce Jack I had top pair and put kicker the small blind that's out 25 chips I call and the original razor than raise it to 75 small blind calls I call. on the turn the king hits the turn small blind checks I check the original Raiser bets out 200 chips small blind calls and I call. On the river there's a blank 8 small barn checks I check and the Raiser bets 600 chips small Bond Falls and now I have a very difficult decision what do I do with top two pair. I thought that the only hands that he can bet with is a set of something anything else I have him completely Crush I have top two pair on the board after long consideration I decided to call and he flips over a set of fives should I have folded my top two pair on the river and not called the 600 you be the judge.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You did right here pot control was good you have to keep him honest with two pair in case he is bluffing or has a weaker two pair
Did well not raising on river and leaving yourself with chips and a fighting chance of a comeback.:)

cskwin

cskwin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In partial way your decision is good and it is hard to fold the 2 top pairs and there is no flush of house possibility in the board.

your thinking of putting villain on set also perfect thought. by calling the bet was the right choice not loose and also if villain didnt have set you can win the decent pot. Good luck next time around.

N

needcoffeesendhelp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling down seemed fine to me

Just a rough situation. In hindsight, he was only gonna go somewhere (and where would it be?) if he became convinced you also had a set. I'd favor calling every step like you did.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No

No, I believe you pretty much have to make that call. If he turns over a set so be it. I call in that situation every time. Most of the time you would win there with top two.

Jooseme

Jooseme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think just calling was a great move. I would have shipped my entire stack in the middle unless you have a lot of history with the player>