Should i fold AK preflop?

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play AK anything from fold to all in preflop.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really all depends on the situation. If it's early in a huge tournament, yeah I'll go for the double-up but if I'm 3 people away from a nice cash pay then maybe I'd reconsider my options. It also varies based on your chip-stick, position, etc;

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the situation and the opponent. AK is a drawing hand which makes it a slight underdog to any pair preflop.

G

GLovvorn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
21 hands isn't a big sample but if the villain is a 25/5 you have to figure he is playing a fairly tight range and not coming into the pot that strong with air. At best he has you for a coin flip with at least one blocker. In a cash game I would have called and taken the risk knowing I could buy back in. In a tourney though, I would have folded and saved my stack for another shot. AK is a wondeful starting hand but it is not a made hand. You can figuer to improve on it about 1 out of 3 times.

R

roadmanraja

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
They say you have a 1/3 chance of connecting to at least a pair with AK, note this is a drawing hand most of the time you get all your chips in...when it comes to AK I kind of agree with Phil Hellmuth with what he thinks about the hand ;)

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've done! ... I have done it when there are many allins ... and I know that my hand is no longer worth auntomatically, worse when there is a rereise

diadiavalik

diadiavalik

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the flora of AK, I play very rarely !!! Very little chance that you will fall into the flop !!! An exception may be a late position.

escurimX

escurimX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this hand you were forced to do this.
There's no way around it.
It was bad luck that the guy had KK.

Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should have raised smaller preflop, but when you got shoved on you have an easy call.

deform fedot

deform fedot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this situation, you just did not feel lucky. So it's not right to do this on the preflop. But do not be discouraged the next time luck will smile :)

Milosika1991

Milosika1991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything depends on where the situation is, how many players are in that hand, whether there is one or more players who raise the stake, so AK pre flop can be very easy to throw away...

F

FreeDom1998

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the situation at the table, in your case, if you notice that the player who staged All-In played aggressively before that (a wide hand range), then your call here will be correct (just this cooler - it happens), but if this one the player played tight (a narrow range of starting hands), then I would have folded here, if this is the Early stage of the tournament, and you have the AK hand,and one of the opponents put All-In, you'd better fold your hand, since you do not have information about the players at your table, you just have to wait and get information about your opponents, so that it's easier for you to play later.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perfect call in the situation.

John Penniston

John Penniston

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your position, if you are an early position you should consider playing the way you see fit, but if you are in late position you will get a better/easier idea on what to do.

AshK44

AshK44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with all the various answers on here. There is no one answer for this situation. It depends on position, stack size, other players etc. I have personally stopped going all in if my tournament life is on the line because I’ve found that I lose just as much as I win. I am very cautious when it comes to going all in pre-flop with any good hand because of this reason. Make your assessment and then make your call. Sometimes a fold is a better idea. I usually raise preflop or call the raise and then reacess my standings looking at the flop. That’s when I decide if I go all in or not.

haiiG

haiiG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is not that strong early game as late game but yeah, it mostly depends from situation if 3 other guys put all-in before your turn, maybe it's better to just lay it down. I would always try to get to flop tho with that hand.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i read all the answers here but still i have an uncertainty about AK, something more related to cash games.if i'm not mistaken, AK equity against a range of pocket pair like 22-QQ is between 48% and 43%. if you are in a cash game or early in a tournament when blinds are small the pot odds when opponent shoves before you act (lets say you have 100bb stack) will be somewhere like 49%+. Shouldn't i just fold AK if i have a read that an opponent holds a pocket pair?

C

Cazador twd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your opponent, the situation, your stack among other factors

wrabinho

wrabinho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you should never fold AK in any position !!

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early in freeroll: all-in
with 10bb stack just b4 the bubble after a (re-raise): fold
with 10bb stack just itm: all-in

K

Klito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ak is one of the premium hands you can get on poker so foldin it preflop should be a very tough spot You can fold it only if a tight or calling station player raises you and probably he might have kk or qq so you can fold
Personally i dont mind folding ak

Folding in Poker