Shot-taking

D

daluby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, how would you all define "taking a shot?" In the movie Rounders, Damon sits down with his whole $30k and loses it all in the opening scene. I watched the pro players commentary and they said in that circumstance, they may "take a shot" with 5 or 10k. Sounds like 1/6 or even 1/3 of a stack.

What is "taking a shot" to all of you? I've run up a $300 bankroll from free rolls/microstakes MTTs and am considering doing something.

T

Teranu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did i understood correctly? Do you wanna "take a shot" at something aka "gamble" your hard worked bankroll?

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah dude, isn't that what it's all about ; TAKING SHOTS!!!! How are you going to move in stakes. Of course this is assuming you have more money should you bust the 300$ lol. Also why not take 200, go sit at 1/2 and see what happens. If that fails you still got 100$ to grind up. Heads up this is not proper BRM but BRM is overrated IMO LOL

S

stokedog4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Taking shots does not mean your entire bankroll... It means playing higher than your bankroll allows. If you play $1-$3 MTTs this could mean buying into a $10 or $20 MTT or trying to satty into an even bigger one. I wouldn't suggest going for it all, unless you can just re-deposit. Everyone has there own way though, and good luck if you do take a shot (with entire BR)!

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Taking shots does not mean your entire bankroll... It means playing higher than your bankroll allows. If you play $1-$3 MTTs this could mean buying into a $10 or $20 MTT or trying to satty into an even bigger one. I wouldn't suggest going for it all, unless you can just re-deposit. Everyone has there own way though, and good luck if you do take a shot (with entire BR)!

This.

I wouldn't spike all my poker money on a "shot" but lately I've been playing some $10 MTTs and $7 MTTs instead of $2 and $3. I could use my live roll to play bigger MTTs and bigger online cash games , but I've tried that before with not great results. Why might this be you ask? Because even though taking shots is good and can really be a great experience, say you win enough to move up 3 or 4 stake levels higher than before, are you actually good enough to play those stakes, have you played enough to beat them? Or will you just bleed all that profit right back to other players. Example: You have $250 in your online roll. You decide to play the ignition/Bovada Sunday $100K for $162. You place like 4th for about 7K, you immediately withdraw 3K for a reward leaving you now with around a 4K bankroll. Are you now suddenly able to play $100NL? Or play $50 MTTs? Roll wise, probably, skill wise? are you sure?

Basically shots can be good, but don't jump to high up in stakes just because a big score means you can be rolled for them.

D

daluby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is great advice, love this forum. No, intent was never to use all $300 in one tourney. I'm going to withdraw the funds and start over with freeroll. I tried a few $10-$20 buyin- lost badly. Went back to 5 or less buyin and won back what I lost. I'm not good enough to jump stakes yet

D

daluby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah dude, isn't that what it's all about ; TAKING SHOTS!!!! How are you going to move in stakes. Of course this is assuming you have more money should you bust the 300$ lol. Also why not take 200, go sit at 1/2 and see what happens. If that fails you still got 100$ to grind up. Heads up this is not proper BRM but BRM is overrated IMO LOL

Trying to get me in trouble wink wink that would be fun I don't have the balls for it though