Short Table Adjustments?

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get that a player must adjust his starting pre-flop hand range at a short table. You cannot expect to only play top 25% of hands heads up, like you might be able to do at a 10 player table. My basic assumption is that your opening range is twice as wide heads up as it is with 10 players. This implies that with 3 or 4 players that your range should also be wider, but not necessarily this wide.

What about post-flop. Do you think there are really any adjustments to be made post-flop, based on how many players are at the table? Post flop play is generally against one or two players anyway, no matter how many people are seated at the table. So is there really an argument to be made that if your opponent entered the hand wider than normal, just like you, then this can translate into looser play post-flop as well. If these assumptions are true, then how can we quantify this and how much looser should we be?

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do think it changes the way you should play post flop depending how many players at the table there are. When you have a full table you should play much more carefully as early position players should be playing a tighter range that they would with only 4 players at the table. Due to this happening top pair and a weaker kicker may be much stronger at a 4 hand table than it would be at a full table.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
....Due to this happening top pair and a weaker kicker may be much stronger at a 4 hand table than it would be at a full table.

I agree with your example. How could I quantify this? What i mean is: if you like to raise post flop with 90% equity at a full table, would you think that raising with only 80% equity at a 4 player table makes sense, even if only 2 players saw the flop?