Short stack UTG jam ranges.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey! I decided that playing MTTs was kinda fun, so i went ahead and signed up for another one today! Did pretty good, got past the bubble, but lost most of my chips in 2 big back-to-back hands. I was down to 9BB and then had this hand.

Hero is UTG with Ad 4s

Is this a jam spot? most of the tabble is pretty deep, playing pretty tight. Would i ever get called by worse?

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not an expert here, but it depends also on the other stacks sizes at the table. I can imagine for 9BB getting called with KQ or if the big stack is that big and on the loose side, you may get called by even a suited connector or any ace.

In my opinion, when you are under 10 big blinds, you are into shove mode and cannot wait for good cards, so any ace is good. It doesnt matter if its early, middle or late position. Especially if the table is tight, any hand with an ace is good to at least steal blinds and antes and have some equity if you get called.

J

Joonnn1212

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Max Silver's SnapShove App does say A4s is a shove for 9BB UTG so this seems to be a fine move even if the table is playing a bit tight. As far as getting called by worse, I imagine some QJ and KQ suited may call you in late position, but A4s certainly won't be crushing hands that will call.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
makes sense. I jammed and ran into kings, but it would have gotten through otherwise.

MrSkinny

MrSkinny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heya,

As you're ITM already it comes down to whether you're happy to go out here.

You're A4o so you're trying to catch another A, unless straights appear magically for you!

As you're UTG let's assume any pair calls you AI. If they're AA you're stuffed, if they are pair 55+ they now have a 70% chance of winning.

That's for only 1 caller, reduce your 30% chance of a win for each calling player.

The fact you're UTG works against you here.

So, as I said: happy to go out here? If not, there could well be better hands before you bust 9BB.

Have fun,
Mr Skinny

Disclaimer: I don't mind being called out on bad input! After all, I've never made a mistake before, gotta happen one day! :rolleyes:

Joshua_Kane

Joshua_Kane

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey! I decided that playing MTTs was kinda fun, so i went ahead and signed up for another one today! Did pretty good, got past the bubble, but lost most of my chips in 2 big back-to-back hands. I was down to 9BB and then had this hand.

Hero is UTG with Ad 4s

Is this a jam spot? most of the tabble is pretty deep, playing pretty tight. Would i ever get called by worse?

Check out this push shove chart from Float The Turn. It’s been one of the biggest helps for me with my short stack game.

https://floattheturn.com/wp/pushfold/

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A4o in this spot i dont quite feel you need to shove...suited Ace of any kind here is a jam but not a lower offsuit for me. Id wait it out for one more orbit and see what happens, ive gotten past the bubble with about 4 - 5 BBs before and ran good enough there after to cash in the top 3. Plus push fold gets easier as your position gets better :) Good luck in your future games