Shootout Tournaments

vox1er

vox1er

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your basic strategy?
And how do you play them differently than regular tournaments?

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
okay first things first.
I'm a first or bust motto player already.
For me the difference in play is the strategy my opponents use.
In shootouts for instance, I often find more aggressive play and willingness to fold/raise all in preflop.
The only place that pays is first and people believe they need to do rash decisions they are not accustomed, often leading to mistakes.
It really depends on the table composition in the end

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good question. Like AKQ says, you're just playing for first place. So there's no ICM and no risk aversion. If, for example, you're mid-stacked with 3 players left, you're happy to call it off with an edge just like you would early in the tournament. Since there's also a lot of short-handed play, you definitely want to take an aggressive approach to shootouts.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have an aggressive style of play and I like to take risks at the beginning of the game by playing a lot of hands. so I play normally and I try to target players who commit too much error on my right when I can.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main reason I started playing Shootout is that i can more easily get into the prize zone. I don't pay attention to the knockout reward and just play the same way I play in a regular tournament.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I play them like a SNG for the most part but only the winner advances. You just need to make sure you are always playing for 1st place in these except the final table.

I

Igrok1385385

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, this tournament has a special passion not only to take first place, but also to capitalize on knocking out the weaker players. You need to try different versions of the games, and then choose what is right for you.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Special strategy there is probably more tight with a small steak, and quite loose with a big steak.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your basic strategy?
And how do you play them differently than regular tournaments?

This is my favorite tournament, the strategy game I like in normal tournaments, but sometimes you want to take the risk to somebody to beat, that's the bigotry, greed will destroy us

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do not at all play such tournaments. It is a waste of time.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never played such tournaments. It's a new species to me. I watched a few games and wasn't impressed. Then I won a few people and got a prize ticket. Then I realized that it's a tournament for good luck.

K

Kaban

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On knocking playing mostly aggressively. I play tight in the beginning in the bladder for Aggressive well beyond the situation.

Aremaz95

Aremaz95

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right now in micromillions I'm very interested in trying to play one of these tournaments but I have not played any