Self-Forgiveness After Busting Around Satellite Bubble

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone, I've been playing mostly freeroll MTTs and Satties on ACR and BetOnline. Recently, I had a massive opportunity to get a ticket to a $109 buy-in event with a $200,000 prize pool, but I blew it and ended up busting around the bubble when I could've just cruised and gotten the ticket.

For full context, I was participating in a freeroll feeder satellite when the top 10 finishers would get a $109 ticket. I was 11th out of 13/600+ players with ~20 BB effective. I got JJ and impulsively jammed, hoping that everyone would fold. The big stack called and showed AKs. I had a slight equity edge, but he binked an ace on the river and I got knocked out at 13th. This is particularly frustrating because it's completely my fault and I didn't have to play so aggressively. And up until that point, I had played flawless poker too.

Do you all have any tips on moving on and not beating yourself up over a single misclick? This was the biggest opportunity I've had in months ($0 to potentially $38,000) and I blew it when I could've just cruised.

L

luddite20

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you mean Tiger's freeroll, it's amazing to come up to the bubble among all those donkeys. Well done.

L

Leifhackman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh man! So sorry to hear about this. One time I was reading some online poker article and the whole article was a bout how dangerous JJ is as a pocket pair. I personally am quite hesitant going all in even with AA. I do raise but if some one else has a pocket pair it is pretty much flipping a coin after that. I have seen people loosing with AA when another player had 44 and yet another 4 pops up. Of course I also try to do some risk/reward thinking but my learning is that great pocket hand very easily turns to trash after flop.

In my thinking rather than flipping coin I prefer taking a risk of my pocket pair loosing value when more cards come. Should some one else call my all in (which is not rare in the low stake tables I'm playing!) the same reality will materialize anyway: the same cards will come to the table and my hand will compete against others' hands but I feel I have some control what happens to my stack.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone, I've been playing mostly freeroll MTTs and Satties on ACR and BetOnline. Recently, I had a massive opportunity to get a ticket to a $109 buy-in event with a $200,000 prize pool, but I blew it and ended up busting around the bubble when I could've just cruised and gotten the ticket.

For full context, I was participating in a freeroll feeder satellite when the top 10 finishers would get a $109 ticket. I was 11th out of 13/600+ players with ~20 BB effective. I got JJ and impulsively jammed, hoping that everyone would fold. The big stack called and showed AKs. I had a slight equity edge, but he binked an ace on the river and I got knocked out at 13th. This is particularly frustrating because it's completely my fault and I didn't have to play so aggressively. And up until that point, I had played flawless poker too.

Do you all have any tips on moving on and not beating yourself up over a single misclick? This was the biggest opportunity I've had in months ($0 to potentially $38,000) and I blew it when I could've just cruised.

My advice to you is get over this and quickly. If you continue to play online poker and pick up the volume you will bust endless Mtt's and here is a shocker, you will make mistakes. The best players in the world have mind freezes and punt off tourney's. The difference between them and us ?? When they punt off a stack, they don't talk about it after their hand review. Many times they make a mistake and they suck out and they look like "wizards". It is all in how you view the situation.
....and 1 other point, winning the ticket into a $109 is not a guarantee of anything, so I would advise against looking at things as "0- $38,000 " , this is a sure way to lead to endless frustration. Good Luck moving forward.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After playing freerolls I participated in the cheapest spin and go sochi. There I won a ticket to the satellite for $ 22 and then went to the tournament for $ 215 there I fought for a package to the main tournament for $ 4100 $. I had a stack that guaranteed me a packet. There were many of them. A little more stack than mine was aggressively playing against me at the table. He constantly walked constantly walked allin. I had AQss and he went for all his chips. After calling him he had 22 he won.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you could easily fold into the cash, I don't understand why you'd jam if the players behind you have stacks that have you covered.

No difference between #1 in chips or 10th.

That's just bad play.

Need to have better situation awareness and self control. Know what you wanna do. What your goal is. What's at stake. Etc.

Y

yoshi352000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll get another shot, be patient and learn from mistakes. Your time will come.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

There gets to a point on the bubble where hands come thick and fast and many decisions are crucial ones. You feel like a bit of a plonker going out on the bubble , the fool who fell at the last. The reality is that somebody needs to go out on the bubble, and there are different ways to get there - folding too much can cause it too if the bubble lasts longer than expected.

It's a difficult balance, and sometimes it's just down the run of cards - the hand before the person in last doubles up as a dog, and the next hand you lose as a favourite.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would have shoved also if there is no action before me, but it depends on the following stacks. If I am the SS in the tournament I am shoving the JJ. I'm not shoving it hoping to get folds though, I'm shoving it knowing I have a good chance to double up and then I have a better chance to fold my way to the ticket.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am by no means a satellite expert, so I tried to simulate this scenario in ICMizer and I think, you made the right move. You did not have enough chips to fold your way to a cash, so JJ can never be a fold. The choise then is between min-raising and fold to a jam, or jamming yourself. And if the other people play well, they should be jamming over your min-raise so often, that this can hardly be more profitable than jamming yourself.

I gave the biggest stack 40BB, and he and the player last to act is just only supposed to call you with AKs. Other than that only KK and AA can afford to give action, if I got the stack size distribution remotely right. So it was just a bit unlucky, that someone happened to wake up with one of those few hands, they are supposed to call with, and then won the flip as well. Of course if people are oblivious to ICM and will call you with any AK/AQ, that might change things a bit. But if they play well, then JJ was clearly a profitable jam, even if I put you UTG with 6 players left to act behind you.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more games you play the less time you will have to think about bad beats and mistakes.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Where is it that you guys are seeing he cannot fold into the cash? He said in his first post he could have cruised. I must be missing something.

If you dont think you can fold into the money, yes by all means shove jj.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Where is it that you guys are seeing he cannot fold into the cash? He said in his first post he could have cruised. I must be missing something.

If you dont think you can fold into the money, yes by all means shove jj.

OP said he was 11 out of 13 and 10 places paid. This mean, unless someone else punt their stack away, he need to win some more chips to get a ticket. And since it was a 109$ ticket, I would certainly not rely on other people to make huge mistakes. Yes OP also wrote, he could just have cruised, but with the stack size distribution that is simply not true. OP is frustrated with being so close and not winning the ticket, and therefore he beat himself up over something, which after analysing it a bit closer seems completely fine to me.

M

MickGreed

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do that all the time, Think someday I will ever learn!

Poker Tells