Second hand in the tournament? Do we call or fold?

TinkCzru

TinkCzru

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know super generic... anyways; $5:50 tournament. Second hand. I’m in the BB with pocket 10’s. Folds to sb. He min raises to 40. I re raise to 135. He re-pops all in 10,000.

I know variance is high especially in the early stages. But I feel that I’m at the top of my range here. Do we ever find a fold here? Why or why not?

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like to put all my chips on the line so early in a tournament. You're still very deep. Also, pocket TT is a good hand but it's not very hard to crack. The other player probably has two over cards (if not an over pair) and you're flipping at best. It probably makes sense to call from a statistical point of view, but I don't like doing it for the simple fact that I believe I can outplay most of the other players if I take the hands to the postflop. By calling these shoves so early I'm giving up any edge I have over them. I would probably fold any hand except for AA and KK.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd fold that in an instant. You are very early in the tournament and he pushed all-in after you 3-bet his raise. What range would a reasonable player do this with ? Probably something like QQ/KK/AA/AK. Even if you expand his range to something like AQ/AK/TT/JJ/QQ/KK/AA, do you like your odds against those hands ? I certainly don't. Also, keep in mind that it's common for players to min-raise with AA or other premium hand. Easy fold here.

M

Mater_AA_KK

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends of what you have and for what you playing ?!! Good players don't go all in at the beginhotel , but that alsoi depends what other players doing and having for cards. Difficult to say something about it

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hello
TT against an all in is an insta fold for me.
Beggining or mid or later stage that is not my criteria.

Just fold with a smile.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Snap fold here. Lets be honest, how many time have we seen a player do this and get called just to see he has pocket aces. Just not worth it here.

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely a fold here. Don't wanna put your tourney life on the line with a marginal hand like this. Wait for better post flop spots when you can out play your opponents. Second hand in I'd even hate Queens or Kings in this spot (although kings are going in). Your 3-bet pre did it's job and showed you where you were and it being early you got plenty of time to get em back.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold, he tested you with a small raise, now he is going for the kill. My bet is pocket Q's or better.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is blind vs blind, but this is an easy fold IMO

it is still way too early in the tournament and you don't want to risk 500bbs and your tournament life on pocket 10s

if it was QQ or better i might've snapped

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Only reason I can see to call here is if you think you are way overmatched playing at this level skill wise.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it’s a rebuy tournament and I feel like flipping or worse then I may call in an attempt to get a good stack going. Obviously at these stakes there are many players that are willing to play like a maniac. These tournaments invite some of the worst decisions I have ever seen. Often I am amazed at how poorly some players are. If it’s a freeze out with only one buy in/bullet I may find a better spot unless I have notes telling me that this guy shoving is bad and shoves any 2 cards over the top.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First I would not 3 bet the sb rather smooth call. Second would fold pocket tens after all in because not likely to come out on top unless lucky flop.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Instafold. When he jams all in after a raise to 135 that's screaming 2 overs at minimum. I'm tossing those 10s

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have had great luck early on with 10s. Its a good hand, and yes, can be easy to beat. But for some reason they work well?

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's an easy fold for me. I wouldn't want to gamble for my whole stack when it's only the second hand of the tourney. With no specific read on villain I would put him on 2 overcards or an overpair, making you about 50/50 to win the hand at best. Not worth the gamble in my opinion.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have just called his preflop raise. with pocket pairs that early in a tourney Jacks or lower Im going to like his preflop raise cause it builds the pot and my call doesnt alert him that i think i have a good hand. If the flop makes my set I now have him trapped or at least I am in the lead. If the flop comes with overs it could be good for me if the str8 is possible but Im going to be very careful and if he is overly aggressive I would look to fold. Later when I may have more information on him and stack size comes into play I might play this totally differently.
However if it played out preflop like you said for me thats an EASY FOLD

I was playing a live tourney once about 5 minutes in and a guy jumped up and yelled "I just doubled up" my thoughts were "so what" early double ups are nice but in a long tourney they are mostly meaningless and usually to a gambler that is going to lose it all in the long run

Last edited:
S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’d have to fold in this case he more than likely has higher pockets and theirs lots of cards still to be played.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With 10 10? Definitely not. But what kind of crazy players go all in in a situation like that? I'm assuming there are rebuys so he probably had A with a high kicker in hopes of doubling up early and if he lucked out just rebought in.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do it with AA, in the sunday millions the pokerstars, they do that play a lot.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Easy fold, are you there to win the hand or win the tourny.

:hmmmm: Lose 135 chips or possibly your tourny life on the 2nd hand, which do you prefer?

:top:

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold and wait for a better spot.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker