SB chip leader AA-KK trapping play against LP open

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played a couple of live $200 buyin MTT lately and witnessed some players (chip leaders) like flatting KK/AA at SB against LP open during mid stage when average stack maybe 20-30BB, and chip leaders have 60BB+.

I think the merits would be
1. LP opening range is weaker and may fold to chip leader pressure when 3bet large OOP.
2. LP may c-bet a lot on Axx,Kxx or Qxx board against SB/BB preflop callers
3. LP preflop raiser may be more likely to call SB turn/river check-raise because they may think chip leader is messing around
4. BB may be more incentivised to 3bet against LP open and SB flat.

What do you think about this play?

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suspect it would generally speaking be better to raise to induce an all in confrontation with these hands. That being said I don't know a lot of other variables. If you haven't ever 3 bet in the game and you do so with aces it is comedic obvious what you hold.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The LP May have history with the flat caller with KK-AA or there can be other table dynamics involved. Generally flat calling here is not showing strength therefore the hand is definitely disguised. In most cases the LP will make a continuation bet and then the chip leader will likely make his aggressive move. Preflop the LP likely May have folded to a big 3bet by the BB SB so flatcalling gets him at least 1 more bet to gain chips. It’s not usually the path taken so it may work but it also is giving the LP a flop without making them pay more and we all know what can happen to KK-AA. By not protecting the premium hand the LP can hit the flop and likely take down a big pot. Trapping can backfire. Personally I would 3bet and attempt to extract value preflop. I’d rather win a small or medium pot then risk losing a big big pot. I am always learning and this is a good discussion.