Satellite tournaments

Pryakin D

Pryakin D

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi to all. What do you think about satellites to expensive tournaments, needs to play or carefully climb the limits?
Do you play them? successfully?

Last edited by a moderator:
P

paapcity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well yesterday i played a $0.30 satty for the $2.20 sunday mini slam on pokerstars.
I won that satty and played the mini slam.
At the end i finished 36th in a around 3950 field
Result $9.81 in bounties and $7.33 prizemoney.
Not a bad result(to bad i lost my last flip, else it would be way more) for a $0.30 buyin.

So i think satelites can be a great way to play higher buyins

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends, i wouldnt recommend like super low buyin sats that earn you spot in another sat to another sat etc.. those are just too hard to get entry for an actual tournament, best sats in my opinion are those where 10th or every 1/10 players will get ticket, so where for example if they buyin for the actual tourney is 500$ play a sat for 50$ either turbo or a regular one with no rebuys/addons but maybe just the reentry or a regular shooutout sat, those have by far the most value out of all, fields are soft as alot of people trying to get into those via these sattelites, its not that hard to get into if you just play tight and have corret push/fold range + chart and you can sometimes tank down and with just 1 or 2 doubleups get into it coz some people fight too hard like it makes a difference if you have 1 bb or 100bbs once you are in the money(ticket in this case), this is just my opinion i play those alot and this is the most value so just my suggestion, gl:)

oh another thing i forgot to mention, sats are most valueable for bounty/ko tourneys as if you get into one via sat, you basically need just one first knockout to be profitable in that tourney already :p

Pryakin D

Pryakin D

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well yesterday i played a $0.30 satty for the $2.20 sunday mini slam on pokerstars.
I won that satty and played the mini slam.
At the end i finished 36th in a around 3950 field
Result $9.81 in bounties and $7.33 prizemoney.
Not a bad result(to bad i lost my last flip, else it would be way more) for a $0.30 buyin.

So i think satelites can be a great way to play higher buyins

good job. do you will play satty constantly?

P

paapcity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well due of time, i mostly play sng.
When i do have time to play long tourneys i always play a few satelites to get in cheap.
So yeah, when i play MTT i play satty`s too.

Pryakin D

Pryakin D

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends, i wouldnt recommend like super low buyin sats that earn you spot in another sat to another sat etc.. those are just too hard to get entry for an actual tournament, best sats in my opinion are those where 10th or every 1/10 players will get ticket, so where for example if they buyin for the actual tourney is 500$ play a sat for 50$ either turbo or a regular one with no rebuys/addons but maybe just the reentry or a regular shooutout sat, those have by far the most value out of all, fields are soft as alot of people trying to get into those via these sattelites, its not that hard to get into if you just play tight and have corret push/fold range + chart and you can sometimes tank down and with just 1 or 2 doubleups get into it coz some people fight too hard like it makes a difference if you have 1 bb or 100bbs once you are in the money(ticket in this case), this is just my opinion i play those alot and this is the most value so just my suggestion, gl:)

oh another thing i forgot to mention, sats are most valueable for bounty/ko tourneys as if you get into one via sat, you basically need just one first knockout to be profitable in that tourney already :p

thanks for the ideas, good thoughts.;)

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely buy into any tournament over $5, but thanks to Satellites I have gotten to play lots of richer tournaments as high as $109. I try to get a minimum of 10 to 1 return on my buy in and I love it when a 20 to 1 return is possible.

Mmurilove

Mmurilove

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to play satellites whose buy-in is low compared to the average of my tournament grid and have plenty of guaranteed seats for the main tournament.
I think it's a good long-term investment.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I like satellite tournaments with more then three winners. You want to save your win for when the money is on the table. You can get to the top of a satellites then slow play your way to win saving the grind for the big money. Remember Chris Moneymaker won the wsop playing a two dollar satellite.

alexKarel

alexKarel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the tickets in the satellites do not go beyond the limit that you play, then this is a good way to reduce the cost of entering the tournament.. If the cost of the ticket won in the satellite exceeds your bankroll and you have never played on this limit, it will at least not be comfortable and will lead to a loss, but in tournaments with a reward for knocking out an opponent, I think you can try to play.. Although it would be like an old joke about how NL2 players went into a cash game at NL 10,000 to multiply their bankroll, their strategy was simple - steal the blinds and run away from the table..:wink:

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi to all. What do you think about satellites to expensive tournaments, needs to play or carefully climb the limits?
Do you play them? successfully?

satellites to big tournaments generally takes practise. Depending which one you play, people shove all in all the time. I play them successfully because i've had the practice. Also if you win, then you get into the bigger tournament. Once you in the big tournament, play carefully. Try not make too many mistakes.

Pryakin D

Pryakin D

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
satellites to big tournaments generally takes practise. Depending which one you play, people shove all in all the time. I play them successfully because i've had the practice. Also if you win, then you get into the bigger tournament. Once you in the big tournament, play carefully. Try not make too many mistakes.
Thanks for answer

AMTTT

AMTTT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
satellites fun to play, because you spend less than the amount on the buy-in

YgfUy6CL.png

NQGoicIF.png

zuGUFzpu.png

dQz3KqWY.png

nMyAVhQI.png

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Generally I prefer to buy in, to a tournament. Exception maybe the satellites for expencive mtts. I prefer to get the money, from lower buy in mtts and use them for higher buy ins!

rodolforrl

rodolforrl

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always got on well, I do not want to dedicate my time to sat alone.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will admit the one big drawback to satellites is you often get thrown into late registration situations where the easy targets have already busted out. It really blows when you have less than the average stack.
Stars used to have it so you could unregister and take T$ to use for later. This is the exception rather than the rule these days.

M

Mezouzax

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hi,

Satties = variance on top max + , i make all of 888 Big Fish, horrible and impossible to fix your game. But if lucky....and patient can pay.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will admit the one big drawback to satellites is you often get thrown into late registration situations where the easy targets have already busted out. It really blows when you have less than the average stack.
Stars used to have it so you could unregister and take T$ to use for later. This is the exception rather than the rule these days.

It depends on this. When you late reg, you have less of the field to go through and just wait to play your super strong hands. Definitely doesn't hurt.

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They can be nice and easy to play sometimes if you are willing to grind out what are often long tournies but they can pay off if you are playing well.

I tend to avoid them though

M

MadMan999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At Party were cheaps satellites for 1 cent. It was fun to reach 5.5 because it was not easy. But it was opportunity to play at 109$ + tournaments. Where are now good satellites for playing?

Pryakin D

Pryakin D

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally I prefer to buy in, to a tournament. Exception maybe the satellites for expencive mtts. I prefer to get the money, from lower buy in mtts and use them for higher buy ins!
thanks for the opinion

Pryakin D

Pryakin D

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
previously, it was good when you can cancel the registration and get T$

Poker Tells