Satellite advice

Kanetuck

Kanetuck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, so first of all, let me start out by saying, I know I am not ready to do this yet. However, I am looking at setting some long term goals. So, one of my goals is to play in some big live tournaments. I am not even keeping track of my play with software yet, but it seems to me that the multilevel satellites have odds similar to getting struck by lightning. I could see playing the last level of a satellite if your win numbers show that the number of satellites you would typically have to play would equal the price of the tournament buy-in. I am curious if any players on here have a satellite strategy for tournaments, or if most people just save and pay the tournament buy-in. Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Satellites can be very useful if you want to get into higher buyin tournaments. One of the major differences from a regular freezeout is that people tend to play a lot tighter around the bubble which makes sense since all the prizes are the same.

cocojambo

cocojambo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I won a ticket for sunday storm last year by satelite.I was very luck.It´s worth to play some satelites.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
If you have a stable bankroll, it makes definitely sense to add these satellites into your spectrum. If you still need to build a stable br, maybe better avoid them at the beginning.

Last year I was cashing some bigger amount in a tourney in that I got access by a satellite at 888. At the moment they also offer some freebuys to $5.50. $16.50 and $33 games. I also was winning access, just by paying few cents for the addons to these. So from time to time, I do satellites for a really cheap buy-in, so that I'm not playing against my bankroll management.

Well, I don't know what ACR offers there for you as I am not playing there , I guess, you know this already better.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great way for players with not enough money to play poker at higher levels. You need to be tight near the bubble and rest of the tournament play as any other.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be careful too because the people who can afford the higher buyin tournaments play as well so the quality of play gos up a little.

Kanetuck

Kanetuck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More tickets?

I understand doing a satellite for a higher dollar tournament, but do you still do it if the reward for winning the following level is just another ticket?

B

balkito

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
also love playing sats to get on the bigger tournaments without risking my bankroll, BUT be careful, bigger buy-ins equals better players..

make sure you are ready to make some good moves in the bigger tournies or you will find yourself in a pool of sharks.

good luck tho!

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I very often got into tournaments through satellites...
great fatigue... play two tournaments at once...
but... the minimum amount of money at the entrance to the tournament... gives strength...)))
:five:

D

daddyfatstacks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
that is a great way to play in bigger prize pool tournaments I have won a few tickets to bigger games that I otherwise would not have had the adequate bankroll to buy in my only problem was a lot of these bigger buy in tournaments have rebuys and add ons so you find yourself unable to pay for an add-on while the majority of the other players are basically doubling their chip stacks. so I would suggest that you make sure you have an adequate bankroll to cover an add-on or find the tournaments with no rebuy/addon.:D

Poker Tells