Same buy in different guarantees

B

bonefisher

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why would you play 5 buy in 500 guarantee when you can play 5 buy in 2000 guarantee?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the structures might be a lot different for both games.

the 2k gtd might have deeper starting stacks with longer late registrations, but with faster blinds. while the 500 gtd might deep stacks, standard late registration, and standard blind time.

i'd rather play the 500 gtd because i don't want to play twice as long. plus, it's harder to finish well in the 2k gtd than the 500 gtd, if it's the same structure as above.

B

bonefisher

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That makes sense. I was looking at the number of payouts which sometimes aren’t that different. But your right about rebuys etc.
I’m trying to figure out the best tournaments to start playing.
Thanks for the reply

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Late registration is probably the biggest factor, but not always. I can't play any game with over two hours of late registration. I have seen games with six hours LR!

Sometimes the best games are "specials" that the site runs. Also look for ones with a bigger payout than entries. I have seen MTTs where only 100 players enter for a $1.10 fee, but prize is $250. That is free money (and hopefully you can get some). It takes a bit of searching to find which games have the largest "free" money. Usually these are the smaller GTD games, but not always (fewer people rebuying).

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's about how much time you have to play. The bigger tournament will take much longer to finish. If it goes past your bedtime that could be a problem.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because bigger field tournaments take longer to complete and come with higher variance. poker sites are not donating you their money, so if they guaranty to pay out 2.000$ for a 5$ buyin, then you should expect at least 400 entrances to that tournament. Whereas if its only 500$, then probably only 100 people will play.

Sure its not as exciting to win 120$ for taking down the small tournament as to win 360$ for taking down the big tournament, but you are going to win the small one 4 times as often give or take. And if your goal is to gradually build a bankroll, then frequent small wins are actually more desirable than rare big ones.

This is not to say, that I wont play a 400 player MTT, but I certainly dont prefer it over a 100 player MTT. Also some MTT are way larger than that especially on a site like pokerstars. And if it gets to like 4.000 players, then its almost like, you are spending 30-50% of the buyin to buy a lottery ticket. So very large MTTs are best avoided, if you play for profit.

S

some39thing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easier to make the money and less variance