Restealing with Pocket 10s in BB

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain tends to open from LP and have folded to 3bet previously. Are we too deep for reshoving here?

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - 300/600 (75 ante) - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

Sweetestdream33 (UTG): 13,390 (22 bb)
Alchem1st (MP): 25,047 (42 bb)
camilini1989 (CO): 25,479 (42 bb)
y2k00 (BU): 3,445 (6 bb)
SamPhisher (SB): 16,368 (27 bb)
SenorRawPower (BB): 7,980 (13 bb)

Pre-Flop: (1,350) Hero (SamPhisher) is SB with T T
2 players fold, camilini1989 (CO) raises to 1,575, 1 fold, SamPhisher (SB) 3-bets to 16,293 (all-in), 1 fold, camilini1989 (CO) calls 14,718

Flop: (33,636) Q A J (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (33,636) 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (33,636) 4 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 33,636

Showdown:
SamPhisher (SB) shows T T (a pair of Tens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 72%, Flop: 25%, Turn: 23%, River: 0%)

camilini1989 (CO) shows A 9 (two pair, Aces and Nines)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 28%, Flop: 75%, Turn: 77%, River: 100%)

camilini1989 (CO) wins 33,636

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
No you only have 27bb.

1010 is a good hand to shove.

You also saw the results: he called you with A9. Many players call you if they have any Ax, any pair and some good suited connector this short.

So just shove this short almost always if you are faced with a raise.

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No you only have 27bb.

1010 is a good hand to shove.

You also saw the results: he called you with A9. Many players call you if they have any Ax, any pair and some good suited connector this short.

So just shove this short almost always if you are faced with a raise.

Thank you! So how much is too deep for shoving here tho ?

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Definitely the correct move and you got called by only one over. If you have a middle/medium size stack, you shouldn't shove and just call/small raise to see where you are on the flop.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Around 30bb I would probably start to consider calling or 3-betting small depending on the position of the raiser.

Against a very tight player that raise I can be more careful even shorter with 1010 and just call a small raise - but against a looser player I am more more aggressive even deeper. If it is better to 3-bet or going all-in depends on the player.

But with 25bb or less it often looks weaker to go all-in than to 3-bet so you get a lot of calls by worse hands.

So in general between 25-30 you can start to play more postflop poker.

Pocket tens are difficult because over cards on the flop can scare both you and the opponent on the flop. But pre-flop you are only afraid of a higher pocket pair.

All-in re-shove against especially late raisers is often the simplest and easiest way to play pocket tens when shorter than 25-30bb. A small 3-bet can get awkward if you don't do it to induce since you always have odds to call after that.

But you must consider player type and position.

In very cheap tournaments and freerolls I can be happy to play tens hard even pretty deep pre-flop since people call with almost everything they raise with and you are of course a favorite against anything other than JJ-AA.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only thing I have to say is that its very well played. You have lots of folds, and if he calls you are fliping most of times, and I'm comfortable assuming that from the times he doesn't have 2 overcards to TT, you are more likely ahead that behind.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because the guy made it 2.5x only i wouldn't just shove TT there with 27bbs, you can make it like 9x and still have a pot bet behing if that guy only calls. Also from what you said he is folding to 3bets so you don't want him to have only better hands than yours and you are not trying to re-steal with Ts.. else you can just shove alot of things.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain tends to open from LP and have folded to 3bet previously. Are we too deep for reshoving here?

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - 300/600 (75 ante) - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

Sweetestdream33 (UTG): 13,390 (22 bb)
Alchem1st (MP): 25,047 (42 bb)
camilini1989 (CO): 25,479 (42 bb)
y2k00 (BU): 3,445 (6 bb)
SamPhisher (SB): 16,368 (27 bb)
SenorRawPower (BB): 7,980 (13 bb)

Pre-Flop: (1,350) Hero (SamPhisher) is SB with T¢À T¢¾
2 players fold, camilini1989 (CO) raises to 1,575, 1 fold, SamPhisher (SB) 3-bets to 16,293 (all-in), 1 fold, camilini1989 (CO) calls 14,718

Flop: (33,636) Q¢¾ A J¢À (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (33,636) 9¢À (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (33,636) 4¢À (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 33,636

Showdown:
SamPhisher (SB) shows T¢À T¢¾ (a pair of Tens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 72%, Flop: 25%, Turn: 23%, River: 0%)

camilini1989 (CO) shows A¢À 9 (two pair, Aces and Nines)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 28%, Flop: 75%, Turn: 77%, River: 100%)

camilini1989 (CO) wins 33,636

Interesting spot.

I gotta say that I don't understand his call. What is he beating here? A5 suited? And he folded to other 3-bets? Maybe they were all junk hands due to raising in position? And A9 was actually the best hand he had in these situations? And heck if he was going to fold it?

The 2.5x is not to induce a shove...it's to give you a chance to get away from the hand preflop. LOL

I mean he "could" have 2 overs to your pair. But likely he has just one over.

I don't hate him opening w A9 but then it got very expensive fast.

What could you have done? Just for the exercise...
- flatted and just set-mined
- flatted and check shove the flop
- flatted and folded to his cbet on the flop
- raised to 9BB and then shove on the flop
- raised to 9BB and then check shove on the flop

Your fold equity is not great. So some of these options are just "preserving" your stack instead of getting it in good.

Just some ideas - I don't hate your shove.

Good luck !

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because the guy made it 2.5x only i wouldn't just shove TT there with 27bbs, you can make it like 9x and still have a pot bet behing if that guy only calls. Also from what you said he is folding to 3bets so you don't want him to have only better hands than yours and you are not trying to re-steal with Ts.. else you can just shove alot of things.
So what's your effective stack size for reshoving here if not 27bb?

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Familiar situation. Very spiritual player periodically plays the garbage and often plays all in. And always I think that as soon as the steam or the A kollirue it. But suddenly it turns out that this time he has a monster or a strong hand. Cheer up, it happens quite often.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with Poker Mike above.

Is this a freeroll tourney?

I'd play the hand differently - but I don't hate the way you played it.
The preflop shove call was overly loose - this is what makes me think it's a freeroll or micro buyin tourney.

Unless I'm just going for it here I would not shove Tens. You have a stack that can sustain this loss and progress farther in the tourney, so why rely on 'luck'?

Call pre - proceed to flop. If he shoves on flop - fold. If he cbets on flop more than half my stack, fold.

Tuff spot though - in a freeroll I might make the same move you did, although I'm not shy about playing post flop oop. In this hand - that would suck quite a bit, but putting yourself in these spots gives us experience to later play these spots well.
Shoving - to me - is a roll of the dice, rather than playing poker strategically. Maybe it is a strategy that works - but not this time.

In freerolls/micros - most players call with any Ace. Good to see this hand playout - now you have info on that player for future use.

S

Smart_Hand

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would jam any pair 33 - 1010! nh 27bb

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play live games and 27BB is a little deep for me to resteal all-in. If I was 20BB or less, I'd do it in a heart beat.