Relatively straight up ICM question

M

metameg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On bubble of tourney, top 5 paid, 14 remaining.
Utg (15BB): Raises 3BB
HERO BTN (18BB) KJo

May seem straight forward but I'm pretty new to ICM. What is the best move here?

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KJ fold wait for big pair or big ace gl.:)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
At this moment we are not near the money and we will need to win a hand to make the money. Did you have any read on the player type he is? Without any information I think you want to fold. I do give probably to much respect to the UTG raiser but he should have a somewhat tighter range here. He could have a hands like AK, AJ, KQ here that have you dominated or at best he has a smaller pair you are flipping with. If you were 1st to act this would be an easy raise but a call or 3-bet is asking for trouble.

N

notahead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This should be pretty straight forward easy fold. Now in regards to icm questions this really not a factor yet as we are quite a few people from the bubble. Now the reason this should be fold is think about his range utg raise pretty loose range say 66 and up pairs and AJ and up this pretty generous. So now do we have decided advantage vs that range if not simply fold look for better spot. Hope this helps you out.

SoCalGrndR1

SoCalGrndR1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely agree with not, ken and hugh in this situation. Too far out to worry about ICM and with no other info you have to look at what is most telling / predictable: UTG raise - most likely you would be flipping at best or dominated. Look for a better spot / hand....

SoCal

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold wait for better hand KQ suited or better bud

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
With no other info but UTG 3x raise from an unknown opponent with 15bbs in total seems like is smashing your hand here. I think is better to wait for a better spot :) KJ is not as strong hand as many may think!