Regular x Turbo x Hyper

P

PVMacedo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Guys,

How do you differentiate your strategy between Reg, Turbo and Hyper tournaments?

Trying to study some different strategies on each one of them.

Thank you.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Regular speed tournaments can take more patience. On the other hand, turbo and hyper must be more aggressive due to the rapid increase in bets.

madbeeet

madbeeet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely play slow games and think that I am rather weak in them. Concentrated on turbo. I think that there you need to be as active and aggressive as possible. I act deliberately, of course)

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learn your push/fold ranges, know which plays are +EV (expected to gain you chips), and how to adjust to how your opponents are playing (tight/loose opponents and passive/aggressive).

Playing a short stack will be more important in the faster structures as everyone gets short on chips faster, but if you know how to play with a short stack it can help in any tournament.

Definitely passing up less +EV spots in turbos and hypers and can be more patient in regular speed.

Watching people play tournaments on Twitch if you have the time will help you get more comfortable.

Good luck!

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in tyrbo tournaments you will have to take risks more often and go all in with non-premium hands. you need to use a push-fold strategy often

KeyJey

KeyJey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my own experience I can say that I like playing in regular tournaments more. Need of course more patience. But I cannot play turbo or hyper games. You need to quickly grow your stack.​

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, the main difference is, that when blinds are very fast, you need to fight a bit more to keep your stack large enough to still have fold equity. You dont have the same amount of time to "wait for better spots", so you are forced to gamble a little more for better or worse. This however only apply, when stacks get short. For the first 3-4 blind levels there is no real difference between turbo and regular speed, since few players will have busted regardless. A turbo tournament, which start with 167BB, is still 167BB poker, regardless what is going to happen later.