RE-Learning Texas Holdem

B

bradeberry

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I consider myself an amateur Texas holdem player. I can usually hold my own, but I feel like I would benefit from relearning strategy, odds, and outs. Are there any good threads om Cardchat that I could read, or any free sites that would help me accomplish this?

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know CC has the Odds for Dummies section. In fact the whole poker strategy part of the menu is a good place to start. Additionally, there are quite a few good posts out there, but whatever might be missing can be found with a search on the internets.

Also, if you've got a specific question, go ahead and ask it here. There are lots of good players willing to offer their advice.

Out of curiosity, are you planning on playing more live or online? The dynamics are different, so that's something you'll want to consider with whatever you learn.

Anyway, good luck to you! :)

B

bradeberry

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I know CC has the Odds for Dummies section. In fact the whole Poker Strategy part of the menu is a good place to start. Additionally, there are quite a few good posts out there, but whatever might be missing can be found with a search on the internets.

Also, if you've got a specific question, go ahead and ask it here. There are lots of good players willing to offer their advice.

Out of curiosity, are you planning on playing more live or online? The dynamics are different, so that's something you'll want to consider with whatever you learn.

Anyway, good luck to you! :)

Thank you for your response. I mostly play online at ACR. I play freerolls because I am trying to build a bankroll. I keep getting beat on the river by worse hands. I bet a substantial amount preflop, to TRY to run the fishes off, but I end up getting bested by a WORSE hand. This usually happens on the river and its frustrating as can be!!!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for your response. I mostly play online at ACR. I play freerolls because I am trying to build a bankroll. I keep getting beat on the river by worse hands. I bet a substantial amount preflop, to TRY to run the fishes off, but I end up getting bested by a WORSE hand. This usually happens on the river and its frustrating as can be!!!
IIRC, if you're playing the $10 on demand freerolls, they only pay 10 spots regardless of how many players enter. Compare this to buy-in games paying a minimum of 10% of players (I think ACR pays 12.5% or more) and you can see why it can be difficult to actually build a BR playing ACR FRs. Also, I believe the structure is pretty bad as well.

Even if you played buy-in MTTs, ACR has ridiculously long re-entry/re-buy periods, much longer than a lot of other sites. They do offer great .10 $75 GTD games, but they have a 2 hour re-entry period. Also, most MTTs-especially the micro MTTs-will usually have pretty large fields. At times, these can be 3-4x larger than MTTs on a site like BetOnline/SportsBetting. So, longer re-entry/re-buy periods and large field sizes can be difficult to get through and you'll experience a ton of variance. More players = more variance. Compared this to BO/SB, which usually has 1 hour late register and very often <400 players entered in most microstakes games, this might be a little easier to do well.

As far as MTTs being frustrating, they definitely are and that's something you'll have to get used to. That doesn't mean they aren't profitable, they just have to be looked at differently. You have to understand that you're going to bust out and lose a lot of MTT attempts. It's inevitable. Even if you're a successful, profitable MTT player with a 20% ITM, you still bust out 4/5 MTTs you play. Don't track MTTs based on winning/losing because winning will never be ahead. Instead, base it on profit over large volume. If you're profiting, then you're doing well. This is also why practicing good BRM and always going for the win is very important as it will determine how much profit you make.

Good luck grinding out those MTTs.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
IIRC, if you're playing the $10 on demand freerolls, they only pay 10 spots regardless of how many players enter. Compare this to buy-in games paying a minimum of 10% of players (I think ACR pays 12.5% or more) and you can see why it can be difficult to actually build a BR playing ACR FRs. Also, I believe the structure is pretty bad as well.

Even if you played buy-in MTTs, ACR has ridiculously long re-entry/re-buy periods, much longer than a lot of other sites. They do offer great .10 $75 GTD games, but they have a 2 hour re-entry period. Also, most MTTs-especially the micro MTTs-will usually have pretty large fields. At times, these can be 3-4x larger than MTTs on a site like BetOnline/SportsBetting. So, longer re-entry/re-buy periods and large field sizes can be difficult to get through and you'll experience a ton of variance. More players = more variance. Compared this to BO/SB, which usually has 1 hour late register and very often <400 players entered in most microstakes games, this might be a little easier to do well.

As far as MTTs being frustrating, they definitely are and that's something you'll have to get used to. That doesn't mean they aren't profitable, they just have to be looked at differently. You have to understand that you're going to bust out and lose a lot of MTT attempts. It's inevitable. Even if you're a successful, profitable MTT player with a 20% ITM, you still bust out 4/5 MTTs you play. Don't track MTTs based on winning/losing because winning will never be ahead. Instead, base it on profit over large volume. If you're profiting, then you're doing well. This is also why practicing good BRM and always going for the win is very important as it will determine how much profit you make.

Good luck grinding out those MTTs.

This is one excellent post. One thing I would add is instead of playing the free rolls would be to just add fund to the account you are playing on. It may take some effort but you will find the play better when buying into a event than playing the free rolls and find the game much more fun and less frustrating. Sadly you will still lose to players with bad hands but unlike free rolls you wont see someone calling a raise and re raise all in with 72o when you but in. Well sometimes you will but not all the time like the free rolls.

K

kelvin22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is one excellent post. One thing I would add is instead of playing the free rolls would be to just add fund to the account you are playing on. It may take some effort but you will find the play better when buying into a event than playing the free rolls and find the game much more fun and less frustrating. Sadly you will still lose to players with bad hands but unlike free rolls you wont see someone calling a raise and re raise all in with 72o when you but in. Well sometimes you will but not all the time like the free rolls.

I agree. Building a bankroll from freerolls is gonna get you nowhere. Can't say i didn't dream of that myself once, but the best i could muster was about 7$ after god knows how many freerolls, and they all went down the drain in one day. When comparing the amount of time you lost playing freerolls in order to build a small bankroll, which is very likely to go away the next day, u will find it's better to make a small/decent deposit and go on from there (it saves A LOT of time). Freerolls as you will see, are very different than paid games, and from personal experience, i can tell you that higher buy-ins will put you at tables with serious players (not all of course), but the odds of you meeting all those loose dummies... are way lower.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules