Re-Buy Add On Tourneys

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a question about those tournaments that have unlimited rebuys until a certain level in the game. To be clear I am not talking about those games where you can rebuy if you bust out, but those game where you can rebuy at any point in the tournament allowing you to just pile chips onto your stack if you have the money and desire to do so. These games seem to be popping up more and more. Be it online or live it is becoming harder and harder to find a game that isn't an unlimited rebuy style game.

So what is your strategy when it comes to this type of buyin tournament? Do you play ultra-tight looking for the chance for someone to throw all in and double you up for free? Do you sit down and automatically rebuy to give yourself more chips? Do you play a few hands to see what happens then rebuy when your stacks goes down to a certain point? When I play in this kind of tournament I usually buy in then immediately buy in again as soon as the tournament starts, thus giving me 2x the starting chips. I play my game and then if I bust out before the rebuy stage ends I double buy again. If I bust out again then I am done for the day.

I am starting to wonder if I am approaching this right. I might change things up so I save my first rebuy until the first time I bust out or until my stack takes a significant hit. Then maybe not do the second rebuy. What are your thoughts? How do you approach these games?

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played a r&a tourney several times from the beginning, one rebuy, and one late rebuy at the end of Add/on phase. What should I say, I mosly needed all three buy-ins, so now I use just the last one. Usually everybody is playing tight and waits for the prizing. You steal two blinds and have doubled up. It doesn't work always, but often. And you have 1 ore more hours of leisure time, you could play some poker meanwhile :cool:

MrHachiman

MrHachiman

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to make my strategy without doing any re-buy. Most of the time I do not need it, it depends how I think the game comes on the table, the level of the blinds and my level of fatigue or physical and mental predisposition I choose to rebuy or not one or more times.

bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally like to buy-in for the correct amount. I don't like add-on's unless I'm in-trouble but that should say enough unless you just hit a really bad beat. That is when you can people either go on tilt or take the person who robbed the chips by a dumb move. It's poker in the end but whatever fits "you" - go for it! :)

MorDa

MorDa

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should always take into account in your bankroll that tournaments of this type should be considered as a double sum of buy-in,
For example, if the buy-in re-buy tournament is $ 1.1, then the bankroll should be considered as 2.2$ and proceeding from this, calculate your bankroll

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am asking more so for a tournament I sometimes play on Friday nights. It is a $10 rebuy tournament. I do not have a bankroll for this tournament. I just go into it with like $50 when I can. At the end of the first break there is one last $20 double stack add-on. So $20 of that $50 goes to the final add on. The buy in is $5 with an option to double your stack for an additional $5. Each buy in after the tournament starts is $10. So I have the option for 2 rebuys and the add on. How would you play your money in a situation like this?

bekel285

bekel285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love these tournaments. I always rebuy at the start which gives you the edge on the many that don't and I always add on so I always expect to pay 3x the buy in for these tournaments. If I bust out really early i'll double rebuy or i'll rebuy if i drop below the starting chip amount othrwise i'll give up and move onto another tournament. I''ve won many of these.

LumeBStackin

LumeBStackin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't like any re-buy tournament. I never do well in them.

8CrazyEights8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The interesting thing about the rebuy and add on tournaments for me is that I have a better prize investing little, so my goal in these tournaments is to do no re-buy and add on.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not like these tournaments and I do not play them. I like regular tournaments without add ons and re-buys.

C

clasrasmusso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on how much chips you have, if it is worth buying more

Mare10

Mare10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like to play re-buy becose theat for me is bored if i win somebody he can come back and ofc is very fast tournament ..my favorit is regular

D

domdiego

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't like to play Re Buy tournaments , when i play i just enter one time and try it to play with the chips without Re Buy ,most of the time I get to the awards and if I lose I sit out

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to also not like rebuy tournaments, but rebuy tournaments seem to literally be the only type of touney I can find in my area. I live in an area with a lot of card rooms too. I am playing in one tonight though, and I it happens to work out to be the least expensive tournament in my area when it all is said and done. The intial buy in is for $5. For that you get 1500 starting chips. Then for a $5 "'staff bonus" you can get an additional 1500 chips before the start of the tourney. Once the tourney starts you have the option for unlimited rebuys for 1500 chips at $10 each. At the end of registration (First Break) you have the option for one final add on of 5000 chips for $20.

My plan for tonight is this. I am going to sit down with 3000 starting chips. I will play a few hands and feel things out. If I drop bellow 1500 chips at any point I will throw an additional $20 down to chip up to 3000. If I bust out after that at any point before the final add on I am done. If I make it to the final add on I will drop the $20 for the 5000 chip add on.

This is a $750 guarantee tournament. I have played in it about 4 times now. I have made the final table once. The prize pool usually climbs up to about $1200-$1500 dollars with all the rebuys and add ons. The field is pretty weak. After all it is only $5 to get in. This attractive price brings a lot of fish from the slot machines who have seen a televised tournament or two and think they have what it takes. The flip side of this is that the initial 4 levels before the final add on can be a bit of a donk-fest. There can be a lot of dodgy spots to get through, but if you make it to the final table it is usually a good game.

Well wish me luck tonight, and I wish all of you luck who are going to play in tonight's Cards Chat games. I will be here tomorrow through Tuesday playing in the Cards Chat games. I get 5 days off starting today.

Good luck All in.... er ah, I mean...
Good Luck All!

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it went like this. I sat down with the buy in and staff bonus add on for a total of $10. The first hand dealt gave me AJo in the cut off. The entire table limped in up to this point. I raised the 25/50 blinds to 125. There were 2 callers. I flopped an ace on an uncoordinated board. One person called. The turn was a blank. I bet 500 into a heads up pot. He called. When the river put another blank on the board I slowed down and though for a second, "He could be slow rolling an ace with a better kicker, but nah not with the way he was out of position and just calling all my bets. Maybe he has a set?"

After running through all the possible scenarios, and all the outcomes I decided he must have an ace, I have him beat, and he is a calling station. I shoved he called, turning over A6s. I more than doubled up on the first hand.

I played a tightish game. Everyone was limping every pot. If the pot was raised they just called and hoped to get lucky on the flop. It was a typical small stakes loose passive game. I tried to exploit the others by 3 betting and value betting a few hands. I made it to the final rebuy add on period and I was doing well.

After the break my table was broken up. I was seated at a table with a bunch of big stacks. I did what I could. I played a few pots. I picked up a few chips. It all came down to one hand. There were 3 of the 7 tables left. I was short stacked and on the BB. Everyone limped around. I had KK and shoved. The chip leader called and one other villain called my shove. My heart was racing, the flop was dealt, AJ9. The chip leader bets the other villain folds, me and the chip leader turn over our hands, and I am crushed to see he was dealt AJo for 2 pair on the flop. I am sure you can guess how this ends, but I will tell you anyways. The turn, nor the river brought me my needed king and I went home empty handed. Well empty handed is sort of a lie. I did not rebuy at any point in the game. That saved me $20 and as the saying goes, "Money saved is money earned."

I will do the same thing again in 3 weeks. Maybe next time I will be bragging about my first live tourney cash. Maybe I wont. Maybe I will be telling another story about how I lost again. Either way I will be posting about it. We all have to keep our post count up, and for that reason I will see you all in today's Cards Chat freerolls.

K

KevinLee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, you are doing it correctly. Double rebuy right out of the gate. I like to have 3 rebuys for any tournament and then I'm done. People are incredibly aggressive at the beginning of these tournaments. This is the best time to slow-play and set traps. Also, calling lighter than normal is plus ev as well. Additionally, almost always add on.