Range of hands in late positions in the tournament?????

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you expand your range of hands in positions B, SB?
For example, according to Equilab, I play in these positions up to 40% of hands.
Truth at first I did it playing cache.
And this range of my hands with a tight style.
Your opinion or your style here?

R

RobQQ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play...

If i can get in for cheap i almost always play small blind and big blind. especially big blind if im already 50% invested. Except for later on in tournaments when blinds are real high and almost costs you 30-40% of your chips to play a hand. Then i wait for something decent....no matter what position im in. I also think that bluffing is huge when blinds are real big. Poker tournaments to me is all about survival. So if you can take down big blinds with a good bluff then go for it.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In theory you should always be widening your range in late position. There's nothing wrong with playing 40% or even higher from unopened button or small blind spots. There are some situations where it may even be profitable to open close to 100% of hands in those situations depending on how tight the players in the blinds are.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. I prefer BB and SB protection with this range and I like when there is a hand of Broadway. Although it all depends on the situation on the table. But the range of 100% is too much for me to be loose

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Tight from SB as oop very loose from BB and BTN.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. I prefer BB and SB protection with this range and I like when there is a hand of Broadway. Although it all depends on the situation on the table. But the range of 100% is too much for me to be loose

The situations I'm describing in which it's proper to open near 100% are very specific. If you are running an HUD and you are on the button and the small blind is running 12/8/1 and the BB is running 14/7/2 I'm opening 100% of buttons because the blinds are going to fold extremely often and I can punish them for it. If the SB runs 27/18/6 and the BB runs 44/35/10 you should be tightening up your button opening range because you will not be able to successfully steal often at all. These things are entirely situational and your evolution as a player is defined by your ability to make these sorts of adjustments in game

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The situations I'm describing in which it's proper to open near 100% are very specific. If you are running an HUD and you are on the button and the small blind is running 12/8/1 and the BB is running 14/7/2 I'm opening 100% of buttons because the blinds are going to fold extremely often and I can punish them for it. If the SB runs 27/18/6 and the BB runs 44/35/10 you should be tightening up your button opening range because you will not be able to successfully steal often at all. These things are entirely situational and your evolution as a player is defined by your ability to make these sorts of adjustments in game
Thanks, this is a reasonable tip for me. now I understand the value of about 100%.
I will practice in tournaments.
I play without HUD. I'm still studying it

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can get much benefit to late positions, also depends on other factors, how many chips you have, what kind of villains have on your left, you can have 27 and play like AA out.

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
personally when it gets deep into a tourney my own range of hands is probably one of the last variables that I think of, instead I start to look at my own opponents tendancies and then act accordingly to them.

for example, we've noticed one of our opponents raising let's say 4 times every orbit, he's a perfect candidate to 3 bet on the large side pre with any 2 cards to take the pot down pre...… another situation, it has folded around to us and we perceive the remaining opponents to be very tight, we have to raise any 2 cards here to steal the blinds!

there's going to be a lot of 3-bet re-steal spots also, keep an eye on the players who will raise and fold a lot versus these 3-bet all ins, we will want to be 3-bet jamming quite lightly on them to get them to fold 95% of their range and also keep an eye on who calls these 3-bet jams very lightly as we'll only want to be 3-betting our premiums against them!

ronilsa56

ronilsa56

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I really do not like playing in these positions because you will always be the first to play and you will not get much information from opponents, I advise you to play in those positions with monstrous hands, and sometimes in the Big Blind trash or marginal hands if your opponents limp if you have food and give up with these hands

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's better to expand the range with the BTN and not with the SB. Then you will have a position and this is very important

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I constantly change my ranges depending on my position. However, it's also crucial to know your table. Especially late in tournaments against defenders. Sometimes you can really set yourself up to have someone call or shove very weak...great tournament players know when they are ahead in these situations.

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I do not adopt this tactic, I use a table of hands that have been tested thousands of times and have shown a positive expectation value in the long run. In this table there is no distinction of position of the player in the table.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not adopt this tactic, I use a table of hands that have been tested thousands of times and have shown a positive expectation value in the long run. In this table there is no distinction of position of the player in the table.

There is no such thing as an effective range table which fails to adjust for position. For example our 3 bet range should be a lot tighter vs an UTG open than it would be against a button open.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I cannot answer shortly since I learned to read ranges

Ruminate

Ruminate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether it's a tournament or cash game, position is going to dictate my range as well as stack sizes, player tendencies, etc. But in general I play a fairly tight range from SB...hard to overcome that positional disadvantage postflop.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
40% is too loose for small blind and too tight for big blind and button. On BB if Sb tries to steal with min raise, then you should play 100% of your range. Not because I say that, bencb and other top tournament players say that. If Sb open 2,5x, you should play like 60% of your range. When BTN opens, you should play around 25% from SB and around 40-50% from BB.

natasha555

natasha555

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the last stage of the tournament this is normal, but it also matters for the size of our stack, and what players are sitting after you in the blinds are their style of play.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it depends a lot on your opponents, your stack, the villain's stack and how many players bet before you.
If you face a loose player, open your range. If a nit player opens with a raise, you will need a very good hand to call.
And never be committed with the pot if you have a speculative hand.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands