RANDOM FIRST HAND QUESTION

S

skin_ak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So the guy that runs our poker league on Stars got bad beat recently with one of our aggros and is crying about the play of the players. So now he is running multiple different kinds of Sit & Gos adhered to 'different players' playing styles. This is a random question with the 'scenario' he put out.

$10 buy-in NO R/A
1000 starting stack, 3 minute levels
This is perfect for all you action players that want to call an all-in in front of you with 4/4 on the first hand

With 3 minute levels, is calling off with 44 on the first hand THAT OUT OF WHACK?

Please don't roast me, I'm legitimately asking.

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are the starting blinds? 10/20? Assuming it's 10/20 then that means you are 50bb deep. I would probably not call with 44 on the first hand in that case.

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does he really think playing with a hyper structure is going to improve the situation? These things are variance fests and encourage players to amass chips as early as possible to be in a better position once the push/fold portion of the tournament begins. If anything I would assume it would make things worse.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Without meaning to roast you, that isn't a 'random' question... :)

It is deliberate and intended. :wink:

Unless I'm incorrectly assuming that you didn't put X amount of questions into a hat and posted the one you drew from the hat without looking? :biggrin:

At a nine-handed table, holding 44, there is a 31% chance that one of your opponents is holding a higher pocket pair.

When your opponent doesn't have a higher pocket pair, it's more than likely they'll have two overs such as AK, KQ or the suchlike.

31% of the time we're a big dog and drawing to two outs.

69% of the time we're flipping.

What do you deduce from these numbers with regards to playing for your entire stack, preflop, on the very first hand of a game?

In your opinion, is that skillful poker or bingo?

It would certain be more random! :p :top:

Last edited:
rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I think that if villain is pushing with 25% of his range he's a litle bit favorite. If the blinds are 10/20 i fold in this situation, the tournament just began so let's play some hands and see

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold 4/4.
At best it's a coinflip. Like if the villain has 5/6 it's 50/50 win lose.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think situations close to coinflip are not so profitable at the beginning of the tournament. Why risk the stack in a situation a little ahead, there will still be many suitable moments.:)

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not understand why to risk at the beginning of the tournament and give in to other people's provocations. The head should be cold, so as not to get involved in a game of luck.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands