Question re: playing against loose opponents with wide ranges

J

Jordansimo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, apologies in advance for what is a fairly amateur question

I've been playing some micro SNGs and HU tournaments against extremely loose players who are either just passive stations or super aggro, floating and raising post flop silly amounts.

My main adjustment has been to just play a strong opening range and value bet them but I've also been ridiculously card dead. I mean raising to 3x in position with AK, AQ, KQs, PPs etc, getting called 100% and just whiffing flops, even against passive opponents who will let me see all five cards. What's worse is that most villains at those stakes will limp the button and let me see free flops and I'm raising them with the same strong range but I'm running awfully and losing at showdown to marginal pairs when they have 83o etc and won't let go post flop.

My question is am I wrong to try and nit it up and should I be playing more hands and going for thin value? Or playing hands like 75o on the off chance I can hit a wonder flop and over realize equity?

Thanks in advance!

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your problems have been raised in these forums before because lots of folks are struggling to deal with the 'crazies' in the low buy-in mtts. Waiting them might work but often results in some of them getting lucky and using their bigger stacks to bully the table. You're 'standard' game simply won't work against these players. Your raise with a premium hand gets called, as you say, 100% because they are playing large ranges pre-flop. They do that because they know your AK,AQ, will miss the flop a lot. If they pair up they shove. If they pick up draw they bet and, if you try to raise them off the pot they figure you're bluffing and come back with a shove.
I would suggest you start by reducing the cost of those big hands pre-flop. Don't raise. If you limp they will often follow suit and now you have at least a chance to play poker after the flop.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play more hands, bet bigger and accept that there will be higher variance against them. Good luck!

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with gryphon, don’t raise, limp hands A+,K+, and go all in with small pocket pairs, bigger pocket pairs limp. This strategy gave me good results. My wining rate is 7/10 against players I in micro HU