QQ in the big blind

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG min raises and everybody folds to the big blind (hero)

Hero (50bb) 3bets to 7bb with QQ

Villian (75bb) 4bets to 16bb, Hero calls

Flop 10, 10, 8, two clubs

What do you do here first to act? (we are not holding the Q of clubs)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly, I'd 5 bet jam pre with QQ instead of calling of 32% and going to a flop unless I know I'm playing against a tight player with a capped 4bet range. I'm in an awkward spot if an A or K flops.

As played, with an SPR of ~1, I'm jamming flop.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would ask where we are in this tournament, close to the bubble, far away from, ITM already? I think that has some bearing on what we are doing here. If we are right on the bubble we can do a lot of things we normally would never do and we would never tell anyone about it lol.

For the sake of the question I am going to answer it like we are just in the money with no big pay jumps in sight or we are far from the money.

The pre flop action is correct to raise and the sizing I think is just fine. Maybe a little bigger like 4x the villains bet instead of 3.5x would be better but that is nit picking. Once you get 4 bet here you have a decision to make. With your stack size I really dont like just calling. I think you really only have the option of jamming all in or folding. Folding is obviously very snug but it is a better option than calling. Your opponents range is probably JJ+ including AK and I really dont think AK would even 4 bet here. That means against his range we are not looking too good (unless you have some other read on him) and the fold all the sudden does not look so snug. However, if we are folding QQ in this spot we will be exploited over time badly.

As played, I think the right play here is to check jam the flop. No reason to ever lead out here in my opinion because I dont see the villain ever checking back on the flop (if he does we really should not be bothered by it). The paired board could be a savior as a check jam on this board depending on opponent could make him ponder if he has Kings. I doubt he is ever folding but he would consider it more with this board vs a 10,7,3 board. Check jam and hope for the best.

R

ramignis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first of all, you should think about what it can do with 4 bet and even such a small size. given the odds, of course, you can equalize the preflop. but if the lady does not come and he will bet then he has AA or КК

manolo salazar

manolo salazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Though spot!
Firstly, I would like to assume that UTG player is LAG and it is capable to Raise any 2 .
Your 3 bet is pretty good as well as your call against his 4 bet.

Now time to think. I have 50 BB .
Do I have a good hand to commite all my stack against this villain after his 4 bet.
Why does he min raise and 4 bet me 2.5x .
I am ahead or I am behind.
In the flop you have to check and see what happen later.

Now assume that UTG is TAG or a NIT.
If he 4 bet it is time to say good bye to our beautiful ladies. Even though, if you called to get a set, that flop helped you because he could have AKo, AKs . You would have to Check and call one street more to see how the gave develops.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
The first thing to notice here is, that he is opening UTG, so he has the strongest possible range. You are 3-betting him from BB, which mean, you also have the strongest possible range, because you are out of position, and it is so profitable to just call with so many hands. And actually you could consider to just flat with QQ here. It has to be at least close. Against a nit I probably would just flat.

Anyways given the position of both of you his 4-bet is an incredible strong line, and he also picked a size, which makes it almost impossible to fold. Like he is begging to get called. What I am getting at here is, that I actually think, we are looking at KK or AA a fair amount of the time. Not always but much more often, than we would ideally like.

So while it feels way to weak-tight, I do think, there is a case made for simply folding to that 4-bet. At least against players, who are on the nitty side. And if he is a LAG or a maniac, why not just get it in pre and be done. Calling out of position is my least favourite option, as someone else already said.

Flop
As played I am checking to him, because I want to give him any possible chance to continue bluffing, if he somehow is. And bluffs would of course now also include AK. If he takes the bait, I am check-jamming. If he snaps with KK or AA, that is a sign, I should probably have folded to that 4-bet. But its to late to get away now, when we have committed a third of our stack and hit a pretty good flop, that should essentially never have helped him.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a little more information would be very useful to analyze the hand such as stage of the tournament, type of tournament I mean if it is free, micro, medium or high buy-in, some information of villain, all these factors influence how to play the hand.
Taking into account that there is no information, I consider it an isolated hand and being OOP the best thing was to make a 5-bet with your entire stack, but on the flop what I will do is make a bet and see what action the villain does then take a decision I think that it would not change much if he makes a raise I would do jam if he only calls would have to wait for the turn, that is what I in that situation would not indicate that you do check / raise since when deciding not to do a 5 bet in the pre-flop there would be no point in checking / raising in my opinion

L

ledris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that if I bet half pot and he raise me he has most of times AA or KK. So I would try this block bet in order to research his hand!

123cards321

123cards321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ

I think it would depend on tournament buy in and stage.

I would put a bet of half pot or look for a check raise depending on the agression of the opponent as he would likely have AK AQ AJ or pocket pair where you could be ahead or behind.

If you are playing a low buy in tournament and you know some of them play loose and aggresive you could be confident you have the best hand.

If you are playing a mid-high buy in tournament people play differently when paired flop comes so you have to be really carefull with this kinds of flop depending against who you are playing.

AndyGamesPoker

AndyGamesPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a tough spot, not enough info to know for sure. But I would likely bet a quarter pot and try and get a read from the player based on his reaction to it.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check- jam is only option here on that board. If he have KK or AA you putting him on tough decision because you have all tens in your range and he doesn’t. If he have spades it’s gamble and you are favourite

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to bet half the pot on the flop. it normally has only AA and KK which beats me in this configuration. so as not to give him free cards. if my opponent calls and doesn't roll all-in. that means I have the best hand on the flop. otherwise and if the information you have accumulated on this player shows that he is not bluffing and that he is playing seriously. it is very difficult to call your all-in on the flop because you only beat JJ.

J

johnjohn87

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Well what do you think your opponent has? Personally i shove, figuring out if your opponent has AA or KK in that spot is extremely difficult in my opinion in online poker, a little easier live but still pretty difficult because they could have like 5,5 or JJ too. I would more scared of a J10 suited in the situation I think then AA or KK but you already invested 16bb out of 50 so 1/3 your stack, i hope you didint invest that much to try and catch a 2 outer, so my assumption you made that call hoping the board didnt come with an ace or king and since it didn't ALLIN!

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Popstani that you're the only one with a ten in your range. So the question for me is do you check - shove or just shove? I think our decision has to be based on a desire to not fold our QQ. If we want to play this hand out we really have no choice but to shove at some point to get him off his hand. I think a check shove is a better line and tells a better story.

D

DancingNancie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think it is helpful to list what stakes you're playing as well. Low stakes the UTG raise may not narrow a range as much as higher staked games.

As played I would check flop and call a jam. If he checks and the turn is not an A or K I would jam the turn. This seems like a good spot to accumulate chips to me.

FernA9ndo

FernA9ndo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, I'd 5 bet jam pre with QQ instead of calling of 32% and going to a flop unless I know I'm playing against a tight player with a capped 4bet range. I'm in an awkward spot if an A or K flops.

All-in flop, all in the middle plus too good hand.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You need to know how this player are playing along the other hands, if he is an aggressive or tighter, normally, more aggressive players in this occasion you´ll have more chance because is not all the time that he have the best hand, majority time he´s just trying to scare you, and if it´s a player quieter you´ll need to pay attention because these players always pay when they are very strong, so it's an analyzing situation

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

he had AA lols .. i hate ACR :D

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You play this differently depending on buy-in.

I see people jamming so often for 200bb on low stake with 9s.

Also what stage is it matters. 70BB Jan final 27 out of 3000 entries,

Vs

2980 out of 3000 entries has a big difference.

P

Powell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you wait for the flop,I think you say all in (into situation)

T

Tyler Finnimore

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would either all in preflop or just all in flop. if your beat your beat

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

i check it and wait for the bet. bet/call. and i guess i keep check/call unless the K or A hits

schon1958

schon1958

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

all-in if necessary, after goin 3bb

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would bet, and in case of an opponent raise, I would be ready to play the whole stack