Chips
8k GTD tournament.
-
We are on the final table bubble,
Blinds are 5-10k, HJ raises to 22k im on the button with Q
heart.gif
Q
spade.gif

i have the chip lead over 300k, i 3 bet to 50k, small blind which is the tighest player of the table shoves all in on SB for almost 200k.
Take note that this guy is a very tight player, he only raises premium hands.

What do you do here?:confused:

swoopdonk

swoopdonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I was on the bubble I would have folded the Queens and said I'm hoping you were stronger than QQ. He might reply. Besides, I'm getting into the money with $250k to play with.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a very player dependent spot, but this isn’t just a 4 bet it’s a cold 4bet. With a nit, at best you’re facing AK and at worst KK+. A player who’s playing a wide range and/or a player who’s capable of making a bluff here you may want to call.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
QQ strong enough hand, I play all-in

O

obli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is an obvious call for me, further, I would look at the game of the opponents and the flop. Losing 50k with a 300K stack is a small loss if a high flop comes out.

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold in this situation. I agree that you are either dominated by AA, KK or flipping with AK for 2/3 your stack. Also if it is the bubble then my guess is he has KK+ because that s a big shove for AK. I know its a tough spot with good cards but you have to trust your reads.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If I was on the bubble I would have folded the Queens and said I'm hoping you were stronger than QQ. He might reply. Besides, I'm getting into the money with $250k to play with.
In this situation I complete agree with this reply. Save your money or check it and whatever happens:hmmmm2:

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
8k GTD tournament.
-
heart.gif
Q
spade.gif

i have the chip lead over 300k, i 3 bet to 50k, small blind which is the tighest player of the table shoves all in on SB for almost 200k.

Are you already ITM? Or is the final table also the Money bubble?

I guess we are short handed (5-6 handed?!) so QQ is a really strong Hand.
The 4x 4bet shove Looks like AK/AQ. but if you have a good read that he has KK/AA, fold and don't tell anyone.

I think I would not be able to fold QQ here without further stats on SB

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
I think you answered your own question.

A very tight player goes all-in for his tournament life after some strong action before him. I also think his worst hand is AK.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You call, you are not at risk and just maybe he is changing up his game. It is not a bad call, do it.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would fold in this situation. The opponent plays only on premium hands, which means he can have AA, KK or just AK on his hands. Since you were on the bubble, there was no point in risking, especially since you had a good stack and you could wait a bit and compete for high places. You absolutely correct made 3 bet, with that you checked the cards of your opponents.

Last edited:
manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold in this situation. The opponent plays only on premium hands, which means he can have AA, KK or just AK on his hands. Since you were on the bubble, there was no point in risking, especially since you had a good stack and you could wait a bit and compete for high places. You absolutely correct made 3 bet, with that you checked the cards of your opponents.
Good logic, I gave the opposite advice, maybe that is why I am not doing very well in these tournaments. I will heed your advice next time.

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
8k GTD tournament.
-
heart.gif
Q
spade.gif

Before you decided there what is gonna be, did you ask yourself what were impression of yourself in this tourney, were you too agro, chip lead usually refers to Yes. So if you 3 bet, raised to often to this guy there is option 1, that he just got sick of it and decided to push you out of the hand that barely started. However, what's more likely is option 2 that you kinda knew that you are about to go against AK or better. 150 k to go for a pot around 450 k, well the math is simple, call and pray not to see Kings or Aces in his hand lol

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He might be a nit but he has 20'bbs

He might think you the "chipleader' is trying to put pressure on the table, He doesnt always have to have AA KK AK in that spot,

I think he could have 66+ AJ QK suited, I think while you're the chipleader and you hold QQ i think you should call the all-in by the nit.

V

Vander44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would lean call in this stop as well. Hoping his range is wider than AA, KK or AK in that spot.

Both options still give you a good chance to win the tournament. Good spot to be in.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Good logic, I gave the opposite advice, maybe that is why I am not doing very well in these tournaments. I will heed your advice next time.
Thanks you. I tried several strategies in similar situations, and came to the conclusion that it is better not to take risks, because poker has dispersion. Good luck

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion you go all in, first of all even if you lose the hand you're not out of the tournament, and second you know what they say: "In poker tournaments, if you want to live you must be willing to die"

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
well even if he's got the rockets, theres still 2 more queens in the pack and maybe some other outs depending on the cards, so all things considered, I'm pretty sure I would call. Just my 2c lol

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I fold. Agree with poster at best nit has AK or even QQ and worse is AA KK. Range is narrow and not in your favour. Too many chips to risk at the bubble. If this was a very short stacked player who is not tight or loose than the range will be much wider and I call

C

charliej

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I would fold and retain the chip lead for a better situation later. If I end up cashing, all good. If not, I'd question this play for days.

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What did you end up doing? I would call here, simply because the reward for winning would put me in a position to win the tournament, which is what I'd be going for.

fickleberry

fickleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yeah, unlikely. Those are probably the hands you were able to observe because they went to showdown. Besides it doesn't matter if the SB is tight, it matters if you and the HJ are from his perspective.

It boils down to "what does the SB think is MY range?"

• The SB knows that the HJ has a very wide range to open
  • The SB knows that the BTN can 3bet light here because the HJ is probably opening light

Therefore, the SB doesn't need KK+, AK here to shove profitably. He'll probably use TT+, AJs+, AQ+

So, easy call with QQ.

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t really want to play a coin on the bubble, you can fold and AA. Dispersion is not always on our side. For the sake of the final table, you can sometimes throw premium hands. Perhaps this distinguishes the best players from the good.:cool:

Mortis71

Mortis71

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
and then after all that a Q flops :cool:

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In ICM spots you need to add a risk factor to your minimum equity required to make a call. Here it could be up to +20% if he's the 2nd stack. Count for yourself what equity you need against his pushing range, keeping in mind he's a nit. I would fold, unless it's bounty tournament.