Protecting your blinds.

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw a video last night of Daniel Negranue talking about protecting your blinds. Sayin that because u already have $$ in the pot u should always call a raise to see a flop.
This move has served me well in the past but it has also got me in trouble. Obviously it depends on stack size, raise size and the size of the blinds bit he was saying odds r always on your side against 3 bets / mid raises.
What do u guys think of this ? Defend or let go
? I know it depends on your hand aswell but he was saying call with hands like 3 9 off. I was just wondering because that is a had I would let go on BB to a raise.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker there are no universal rules for all game situations. Each time you have to take into account a lot of factors - the stack size (your and the villain), the number of villains included in the game, the size of raises, the style of play (aggressiveness) of your villains and so on ... And in tournaments you still have to consider the tournament position, which also has many different options. The complexity of poker is explained by the fact that you make a decision quickly and with a very large number of conditions, many of which are not known.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to defend the blinds with certain hands, some of which I can even give a 3bet on my opponent in other just check

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always? Ok, a minraise i almost always call :)
Thatswy i dont understand why all the modern poker mentors teach this minraise stuff :)

Vladimir Smugly

Vladimir Smugly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys, I do not know how for you, but for me it's simple. With a good hand, I answer even on a big raise. With a bad hand I fold.
Andrew Popov congrats with a good quantity of messages.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I defend almost always and tournaments...for very obvious reasons I don't want to be the table b*tch. But in cash games it is not worth the danger of get sucked into a pot with reverse implied odds hands.Don't defend with K7o,J5o types any nine hand except 99, 23 or junk that will only get you in trouble at best.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do 3bet in the BB when I see you often still the blinds

Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You shouldn't always call a raise to see a flop, but you should be defending your BB with lots of hands.

NoPlace4U

NoPlace4U

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You open your range a bit more on the blinds but that doesn't mean you are going to play any 2 cards.

Fishmasterbaiter

Fishmasterbaiter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well.....

Id say call it if your cards are good but not blindly call a raise everytime you have chips in preflop. Otherwise it would serve to be predictable (in my opinion). I'm actually less apt to call a raise preflop unless my cards are really good.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw a video last night of Daniel Negranue talking about protecting your blinds. Sayin that because u already have $$ in the pot u should always call a raise to see a flop.
This move has served me well in the past but it has also got me in trouble. Obviously it depends on stack size, raise size and the size of the blinds bit he was saying odds r always on your side against 3 bets / mid raises.
What do u guys think of this ? Defend or let go
? I know it depends on your hand aswell but he was saying call with hands like 3 9 off. I was just wondering because that is a had I would let go on BB to a raise.

You don't have any money in the pot, the blind is there just because it was your turn, it is the fee you pay to sit at the table and play poker. Calling raises with garbage when you are in the BB is a mistake. If you suspect that someone is targeting your BB, then you should defend from time to time, but you should do it with a decent hand, not with garbage.

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am going to have that BB in the pot no matter what, the decision is whether my hand is worth putting extra money into the pot and how much I am willing to put into the pot. Another consideration is whether there are bettors to follow that may re-raise. I am not too proud to fold.

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if i suspect someone is trying to bully me i'll protect my blinds. I hate it when someone is trying to steal my blinds because he thinks he can. Sometimes you have to fold even when you think someone is trying to steal your blinds but sometimes you need to reraise his raise. Again it all depends on so many factors it's hard to say when to protect them.