natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Being from the US, I haven't been able to play at poker stars for quite some time. It seems they have had progressive bounties/bounty builders for a while. Recently ACR / BCP has introduced these to their menu.

I would like to play these as I feel the bounties entice people to call hands with less than great hands.

These days tournaments have such long late registrations. I don't like to play from the very beginning, I like to jump in later in the games. Before starting stacks get to 10 Big Blinds.

When playing these, do you play right from the beginning or later in the game.
Do you find more callers with less than stellar hands.

Anyone care to share their strategy for these tourneys

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all you dont want to register late to bounty tournaments, because then some of the price pool has been distributed already without you even contending for it. You will also have a less than average stack, which mean, you are rarely abel to contend for the remaining bounty money either.

And generally this is the major adjustment to bounty tournaments. You dont want to hang around as a short stack. You want to be a big stack and knock other players out to win that bounty. On a hand for hand basis the adjustments mainly comes in, if a bounty is actually in play. Then slightly looser play is warrented to collect that bounty, whereas if you can not collect it, the opposite is the case. If for instance you have 20BB, you have less incentive to call a jam from a 22BB stack. But if you have a 22BB stack, you have more incentive to call a jam from a 20BB stack.

H

hartmann2508

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the attraction that people have to pay with not so good hands is intriguing, the rewards draw a lot of attention for this fact, of course, to stimulate the bet ... sometimes it doesn't pay depending on the position entry, sometimes makes it difficult to fight for the biggest ones ..

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's always better to register at the start, as Fundiver says, if at all possible. This gives you the best opportunity to double up from the weakest players in the tournament. Other key strategy ideas in PKO:

** Call shoves wider
** Jam wider when you cover opponents
** Take lines that put your oppponent's stack at risk

An example of the last point: With a 40bb stack, you raise with K9 on the button and flop top pair. You cover your opponent. After betting flop and turn, instead of betting smaller on river or checking back, you shove for value because if he calls with worse you win his bounty.

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thanks for the advice. I am going to give these a shot.
I have been playing "regular" tournaments and registering fairly late with a decent amount of success.
I think I'll try those from the start also.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only from start, you have to build a stack for yourself first, and then go for bounties from small stacks

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These are very interesting tournaments, and rewards for knocking out make the game more loose and open. Your goal is to initially try to build a decent stack, since many people play carefully from the first hands, and frequent raises and 3 bets bring success. The most important thing is not to play too loose and start opening any two cards, and not to play big bluffs, because in such tournaments, opponents call much more often.:)

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being from the US, I haven't been able to play at Poker Stars for quite some time. It seems they have had progressive bounties/bounty builders for a while. Recently ACR / BCP has introduced these to their menu.

I would like to play these as I feel the bounties entice people to call hands with less than great hands.

These days tournaments have such long late registrations. I don't like to play from the very beginning, I like to jump in later in the games. Before starting stacks get to 10 Big Blinds.

There is an interesting feature in knockout tournaments. In general, it is the main and main difference between these tournaments from many others. When one or more players have a very short stack on the table, everyone starts hunting for it. This is due to the above-described fact - it is very profitable to play against him. In case of a loss, you lose a little, you win - you get the rest of his chips and, more pleasantly, a bounty for him. Knockouts are the only tournaments where money collides directly with chips. You need to learn how to convert them.
This is where some of the thinking begins. If you are short stacked, your potential to double or triple is much higher than in a regular tournament. Because in a knockout tournament, people will tend to go all-in with you even on a weak hand, trying to get a reward for you. Left with a short stack, do not be discouraged, the chance of returning to the game in such tournaments is the highest among any other.Oftentimes, in a battle between two chip leaders, the bounty reward is of little value - the chips on the stack matter much more than the potential reward at the box office. But there are also exceptions. Always in difficult situations, look at the "value" of your opponent and translate it into chips, so as not to be mistaken.

P

PokerBust007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Some great insight in this thread on them, thank you. I need to implement a more aggressive strategy it seems.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the best strategy and never play a tournament like this thinking about ko wait for the best time to eliminate a player, I prefer to arrive at the final stretch of these tournaments to eliminate the last players who are with a high ko than flush me at the beginning of the tournament and end being eliminated!

Shiloma

Shiloma

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Before starting stacks get to 10 Big Blinds.

Playing with such short stacks leaves no room for complex strategies. Play All-In with any ace or small pair.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being from the US, I haven't been able to play at Poker Stars for quite some time. It seems they have had progressive bounties/bounty builders for a while. Recently ACR / BCP has introduced these to their menu.

The best strategy for these events is to play them right from the beginning. This is for a few reasons.

The first is that typically half of the price pool in the tournament is in the bounties, as soon as players get knocked out that part of the prize pool starts to diminish, and by registering late you are effectively giving up on your chance to win some of that part of the prize pool.

The second is that to get the bounties you need to have your opponents covered, the earlier you can build a stack to be able to go after those bounties the better. Your best chance to get bounties is in the beginning when everyone has the same chip stack.

If you wait until the 2nd or 3rd hour to join an event odds are everyone at your table will have you covered and therefore you'll have no real chance at getting the bounties. Effectively you miss out on half the prize pool that way and would thus be better off playing a regular tournament if you're going to late reg.

For PKOs play from the beginning to maximize your value. This is what I learned from the bounty beast masterclass at Raise Your Edge, and it makes a lot of sense!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fOPFEleI7s&list=PLBrNnyWekagNbNyPSQyKZxALfxqJMENNI&index=13&t=1s[/ame]

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The best strategy for these events is to play them right from the beginning. This is for a few reasons.

The first is that typically half of the price pool in the tournament is in the bounties, as soon as players get knocked out that part of the prize pool starts to diminish, and by registering late you are effectively giving up on your chance to win some of that part of the prize pool.

The second is that to get the bounties you need to have your opponents covered, the earlier you can build a stack to be able to go after those bounties the better. Your best chance to get bounties is in the beginning when everyone has the same chip stack.

If you wait until the 2nd or 3rd hour to join an event odds are everyone at your table will have you covered and therefore you'll have no real chance at getting the bounties. Effectively you miss out on half the prize pool that way and would thus be better off playing a regular tournament if you're going to late reg.

For PKOs play from the beginning to maximize your value. This is what I learned from the bounty beast masterclass at Raise Your Edge, and it makes a lot of sense!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fOPFEleI7s&list=PLBrNnyWekagNbNyPSQyKZxALfxqJMENNI&index=13&t=1s
Thanks for the guidance! and the link.