Pride is crushing my game.

M

midni7e7oker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not gonna go into details, but I paid someone off pretty big because I thought I played the hand so perfectly. River comes, everything changes. It's so ridiculously obvious that he hit his hand and of course he shoves. I'm saying, out loud, as I'm clicking the call button, "This is so ****-ing stupid." Like saying that would suddenly change our cards. I knew I was crushed the second he shoved, made the call anyway. It was exactly the sort of hand that, had I been watching from the outside, I would've wondered what that idiot could be thinking.

I'm shouting out to Brutus since this particular hand involved a full boat. :D

EDIT: oops wrong forum.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Completely different when you're in the moment and actually playing the hand, rather then looking from the outside or after the fact.

A

Allmine79

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you just want to see if the read was correct. I do it all the time..

PokerNuts01

PokerNuts01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is my life story lol :)

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is difficult to throw off a strong hand on the river - this quality distinguishes beginners and amateurs in poker from professional players.

V

Vino4Dino

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Laying down on the river sucks, but playing Windows Solitaire cause your out of dough REALLY sucks. Just a sec I got to move this red 4 onto the black 5....

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of stories,each with its own such there.Blame yourself in this situation or that idiot,difficult...

S

Samuel Kollapso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's like football, the game is over when the judge whistles. Lol

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is just poker so take it like this because it happens to you and happens to many, hands mqlas that suddenly turn into hands monster

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Laying down on the river sucks, but playing Windows Solitaire cause your out of dough REALLY sucks. Just a sec I got to move this red 4 onto the black 5....

Ha ha ha

B

Bone23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Great lay downs also win chips because you don't loose them.

wasal2002

wasal2002

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This is hilarious!! I will remember this the next time I just have to call someone. Being out of the tourney or limping away from the table with pocket change really sucks.

S

SpeedBump621

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The next time you are in this situation try the "stand and spin method". What is this? Oh! It's simple!

Before clicking the call button....stand up, raise your arms over your head, spin a complete revolution, laugh, then sit back down and THEN make your decision. Hopefully doing something so silly makes u laugh a bit.....this may give you the emotional break that u need to make a more optimal decision:) (but OMG..i've done the auto click when i know im behind a ton in my days)

A

Acunaaldje

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Happens to me all the time! But Iam just a newby LOL

wasal2002

wasal2002

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like this. I read an article where you wait like 15-20 seconds before every call or action consistently. This also helps so no one gets a read on your 4 Kings lol [emoji23]

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After being in the lead and creating a big pot which would leave me short stacked should I lose, puts me in a mentally unstable position. Instead of thinking I can work my way back to an obvious loss on the river, I call just out of disgust. Must stop that.

wasal2002

wasal2002

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do that so much I know. Things get funny near the money. Even suspicious sometimes and my big stack disappears and I call out of disgust as well.

JoseFerreras

JoseFerreras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel you my friend, I know exactly how you feel.
In my case when I feel like I'm losing I usually am.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Been there done that many times. I usually talk myself into the call because it is such a perfect place for them to make an allin bluff shove.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not gonna go into details, but I paid someone off pretty big because I thought I played the hand so perfectly. River comes, everything changes. It's so ridiculously obvious that he hit his hand and of course he shoves. I'm saying, out loud, as I'm clicking the call button, "This is so ****-ing stupid." Like saying that would suddenly change our cards. I knew I was crushed the second he shoved, made the call anyway. It was exactly the sort of hand that, had I been watching from the outside, I would've wondered what that idiot could be thinking.

I'm shouting out to Brutus since this particular hand involved a full boat. :D

EDIT: oops wrong forum.

What forum did you think you were in, the Ancient Rome forum?

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of the greatest poker players lay down winning hands, even if they know they are the winner, they have still laid it down. Because they are still not 100% sure about the hand, so are willing to take the loss and move on and look for a better spot. In MTTs this is a lot harder to do but in cash games, sometimes you must cry about it, yell, get mad, then muck.... Pride in poker will ruin your game. I used to have this issue a lot in my early years of poker. It hurts more when your pride is hurt AND you lose money. hurts less when your pride is the only thing taking the hit.

Good luck and learn to lay it down.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been there more than a few times I hate to admit. Just earlier tonight as a matter of fact. He was calling everything, so I stopped betting. He made his 7 high flush, I called with my trips. I knew full well he made the flush. At least he didn't go all in with his low flush, he might have thought I might have a bigger one.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Or he might just have bet just enough for a call.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Jared Tendler's book helps with this issues perfectly.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always look at the card I erased and check with the lying on the table. At least I know how likely the probability was for me to win.

Top 10 Games