Pre-Flop Opening and Calling Range Assumptions

S

sundizzel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre-Flop Opening and Calling Range Assumptions

My intention with this post is to share the pre-flop opening range assumptions I have been operating on in MTTs and subsequently have been using to analyze specific spots in PioSolver's Range Explorer. My primary concern is that, if I'm using inappropriate range assumptions, then my +/- EV calculations for each spot are off, and it will be difficult, if not impossible, to play profitably in the long-term. I would appreciate any input you might have on:
  • Whether the percentages of hands played in each position seems reasonable (e.g., a tight player only playing 9% of hands in Early Position).
  • Whether the specific hands used to populate each percentage of hands played seems reasonable (i.e., the percentage seems right, but maybe you would think the shown range is including some hands that shouldn't be included and/or excluding some that shouldn't be excluded).
  • Any other thoughts you might have on these range assumptions and relying on them during tournament play and subsequently during hand reviews to calculate expected value in each spot.
I initially compiled the information from another free website and formatted it into a navigable Excel file. I was hesitant to upload the Excel file itself, but I have uploaded a series of images for each range depending on position. Each position has three ranges that represent tight, average, and loose players in that specific position. Here is a quick legend of the abbreviations used for the images:
  • "EP" is Early Position (UTG and UTG+1)
  • "MP" is Middle Positions.
  • "CO" is Cut-Off.
  • "BTN" is Button.
  • "BB" is both the Big and Small Blinds.
I also have a corresponding set of pre-flop calling ranges but couldn't upload them due to number of attachment restraints. If you guys are interested, I could add them in a separate post or an entire new thread.​

Hopefully this will be something that sparks some discussion players of all skill levels can learn from, but it may be particularly useful to beginners or anyone not considering their own and/or their opponents' ranges during play and study. Looking forward to any replies!

- Sundizzel

Attachments

• O-EP.JPG
    O-EP.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 32
  • O-MP.JPG
    O-MP.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 32
  • O-CO.JPG
    O-CO.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 32
  • O-BTN.JPG
    O-BTN.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 31
  • O-BB.JPG
    O-BB.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 33
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For those of us who have not studied the PIO charts you may want to indicate what the color coding means specifically- Blue Red Yellow-
Beginners need the basics explained step by step so that they can move more easily to the more complex thought patterns

Thank U 4 Posting

S

sundizzel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Colors Answer and Calling Ranges Provided

For those of us who have not studied the PIO charts you may want to indicate what the color coding means specifically- Blue Red Yellow-
Beginners need the basics explained step by step so that they can move more easily to the more complex thought patterns

Thank U 4 Posting

Thanks for the response--I hadn't thought of that. The colors for these purposes simply make the charts easier to read.

For the images provided, the color coding is to visually simplify the range chart by dividing it up into non-suited combinations in red (i.e., the bottom-left half of the range), all pocket pairs in blue (i.e., the diagonal that bisects the range), and the suited combinations in yellow (i.e., the top-right half of the range). The colors do not represent any particular action or suggested bet sizing.

Since these charts are opening ranges, there is only one action to be taken, which is raising the posted big blind and anyone else that has limped into the pot.

I have corresponding calling ranges that I'll post with this response that are used to decide whether to call when someone else has already opened betting. The color coding is the same in the sense that it is only used to simplify reading the chart, but the very top of the calling ranges (e.g., AA, KK, etc.) is grayed out because it should not be a call--but it should at that point be a re-raise. The main difference between opening and calling ranges in the same seat position is that the calling range will be tighter. Let me know if you have any other questions or if anything else needs clarification.

- Sundizzel

Attachments

• C-EP.JPG
    C-EP.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 14
  • C-MP.JPG
    C-MP.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 13
  • C-CO.JPG
    C-CO.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 12
  • C-BTN.JPG