Poll: When do you reg an MTT?

When do you (on average) reg for an MTT?

• Very first hand of the MTT

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • As long as I have 100BB

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • 75BB

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 50BB

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • 20BB

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • As late as possible

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm very curious to see these poll results, please vote!

Dmitriy Mishin

Dmitriy Mishin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always try to register 5 minutes before the end of registration for the tournament, during the registration period there is a very high dispersion, after registration the players try to play correctly.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always try to register 5 minutes before the end of registration for the tournament, during the registration period there is a very high dispersion, after registration the players try to play correctly.

Wouldn't it make sense to play during the period where players were more likely to be playing incorrectly?

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
it depends if it is hyper turbos tournaments: I sign up at the beginning of the tournament, now turbos tournaments: I sign up between 10 to 15 minutes because the tournament is already in an aggressive phase, Regular tournaments: I enter between 1 hour to 1: 30 hrs of tournament why. but blinds are time consuming and so that means that I start the tournament.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends if it is hyper turbos tournaments: I sign up at the beginning of the tournament, now turbos tournaments: I sign up between 10 to 15 minutes because the tournament is already in an aggressive phase, Regular tournaments: I enter between 1 hour to 1: 30 hrs of tournament why. but blinds are time consuming and so that means that I start the tournament.

This sounds like a good strategy, thank you.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This sounds like a good strategy, thank you.

whenever i apply this strategy i always do well not that i will stick every time i apply the strategy, but most of the time i get itm

and don't forget to link

P

pohewa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is super interesting, I hope more people vote to have a bigger data pool, as I am playing hyper micro stakes atm, I've seen people how reg just before it closes and as long as they double up once they're in the money.

I haven't tried it personally, but I might if this shows me it's a thing haha

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is super interesting, I hope more people vote to have a bigger data pool, as I am playing hyper micro stakes atm, I've seen people how reg just before it closes and as long as they double up once they're in the money.

I haven't tried it personally, but I might if this shows me it's a thing haha

Yeah, I'd really like to get as many votes as possible on this. I'm not sure where the "masses" stand on this one. :)

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Difficult for me to vote 'on average' because I'll late reg with 15-20bb just as readily as reg for hand no. 1...

I'm equally happy doing either because it's pretty much simply a trade-off of saved time/BB's you start with...

I like late reg sniping and I like playing from the start.

Not very helpful for your poll, sorry! :eek:

Joco413

Joco413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's better to register on time. Late registration has no extra benefit.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bumpity Bump.

I want more votes!!! :)

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we are talking about registration, it does not matter when you entered the tournament, especially if the buy-in is small, I can say for sure, given that usually it does not end with one entry, and even if there was a second entry at the last minute, and you got to ITM, it made sense to play.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to wait until late registration but have at least 20 bb left. That allows me a few rounds before I need to shove with less than stellar hands. Always found this worked best for me as hate to play for two hours and people are still registering. The only exception would be a smaller tournament, especially if it’s a KO. Then I don’t want to late register and not be able to bust anyone and have everyone looking at me as an easy bust compared to their stack and a re willing to gamble with crappy hands.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to wait until late registration but have at least 20 bb left. That allows me a few rounds before I need to shove with less than stellar hands. Always found this worked best for me as hate to play for two hours and people are still registering. The only exception would be a smaller tournament, especially if it’s a KO. Then I don’t want to late register and not be able to bust anyone and have everyone looking at me as an easy bust compared to their stack and a re willing to gamble with crappy hands.

This is pretty much my strategy in a nut shell, except I will still do this for PKOs. To me, PKOs are just MTTs that are even more top heavy, since 50% of the bounty accumulates you can head hunt the players that have larger bounties. And if you win a PKO, you get an insane amount of bounties usually. :)

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Ok, so I voted for youuuu!

Went with very first hand because that's probably what I do more than anything else...

Play a lot of PKO's these days and I think missing the early stages of these is a mistake.

Straight MTT's late reg is only really a compromise with BB's but in PKO's you've already missed a good chunk of the prize pool when max late regging.

Generally speaking, more mistakes are made in the early stages (of any tournament) so if you want to capitalise on bad play, be in your seat for hand 1.

Regards.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like late registration, I play only from the very beginning of the tournament

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First hand mostly, gotta get those early fish chips... Easy money.

W

wstclair777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lately I have been mostly doing late reg, all the way down to 10BB. I don't have enough time to play MTTs from the start and I'm just not that good a deep stack play. I enjoy deep stack play more but, I always seem to do better short stacked.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great variety of responses here.

Let this be a microcosm of what we already know, "What works for one, doesn't necessarily work for all." :) We are all different...but the same.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, so I voted for youuuu!

Went with very first hand because that's probably what I do more than anything else...

Play a lot of PKO's these days and I think missing the early stages of these is a mistake.

Straight MTT's late reg is only really a compromise with BB's but in PKO's you've already missed a good chunk of the prize pool when max late regging.

Generally speaking, more mistakes are made in the early stages (of any tournament) so if you want to capitalise on bad play, be in your seat for hand 1.

Regards.

:love::love:

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm still not sold on the PKO argument. To test, I registered as late as possible in a $2 PLO PKO MTT today. I won....first place. I also accumulated some monster bounties as I head hunted prior large stacks that were crippled. Oh and chopping HU in a PKO is almost always ideal IMO (you get to keep the other half of your bounties).

:)

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to go to late registration, I do not like to sit with the same stack for 2 hours.Either quickly pick up the stack or give away, all or nothing!

I

igloo66

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would always choose to join at the start with 100bb as this gives you the most freedom to make a few plays and catch those playing incorrectly which can on most occasions lead to bagging up extra chips.

For those that join as late as possible, and it's up to personal choice, I find they are more inclined to what to shove either pre-flop or on the flop trying to steal the pot or double up in a race. I steer clear of these unless I have the odds to call.....which does sometimes still end up with losing the pot :mad: but doesn't hurt as much if you've managed to build in the early stages.

Everyone has their preferences, and is any one way right or wrong????

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would always choose to join at the start with 100bb as this gives you the most freedom to make a few plays and catch those playing incorrectly which can on most occasions lead to bagging up extra chips.

For those that join as late as possible, and it's up to personal choice, I find they are more inclined to what to shove either pre-flop or on the flop trying to steal the pot or double up in a race. I steer clear of these unless I have the odds to call.....which does sometimes still end up with losing the pot :mad: but doesn't hurt as much if you've managed to build in the early stages.

Everyone has their preferences, and is any one way right or wrong????

Great post, thank you.

There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's.

You have a solid approach to playing MTTs. I have played many tournaments from hand #1 and have experienced the massive chip leads that can develop.

I'm interested in what people's limits are. Would you reg with only 20BB? Would the buy in matter?

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Difficult for me to vote 'on average' because I'll late reg with 15-20bb just as readily as reg for hand no. 1...

I'm equally happy doing either because it's pretty much simply a trade-off of saved time/BB's you start with...

I like late reg sniping and I like playing from the start.

Not very helpful for your poll, sorry! :eek:

I agree with Tracid on this.

I would say I prefer to play from a tournament from the start and settle into the table/game but it is not always convenient, so I will late register. The interesting thing is I have yet to conclude which works better - so it's a wash to date.