Pocket Pairs

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am noticing that more and more players at all levels especially higher buy MTTs that players are 3 and 4 bet shoving low , mid, and big pocket pairs. They are also calling all in shoves with any pair higher than 66. Is this the correct way to be playing these hands?

mariuspoker1

mariuspoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am noticing that more and more players at all levels especially higher buy MTTs that players are 3 and 4 bet shoving low , mid, and big pocket pairs. They are also calling all in shoves with any pair higher than 66. Is this the correct way to be playing these hands?
There is no such thing like " correct way to play poker"; that's why poker it's so loved by many people because gives you the opportunity to win even if you have weaker cards so my answer at your question is yes you may call with any cards you want if you feel you are lucky;).

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no such thing like " correct way to play poker"; that's why poker it's so loved by many people because gives you the opportunity to win even if you have weaker cards so my answer at your question is yes you may call with any cards you want if you feel you are lucky;).

Maybe “correct” wasn’t the best way to say it. Is it most optimal to play this way. It’s not a way that I often play. I am always learning tho.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I usually just raise with a pocket pair. Only if it is AA, KK, QQ I would 3 bet. I prefer to bet more at least after flop!

iamtoldurghey

iamtoldurghey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its just new uber-tard scandie kids with too much money wasting their inherited cash.

Mezzzzzza

Mezzzzzza

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you on about watching play on tv or higer stakes online and deep in mtts alot of these guys have so much info on each other i dont think theres a huge amount of people that are going to be 4bet shoving 66+ in the C/O against unknowns. Obviously im not saying these plays are wrong situational dependent a LAG player jams 15bb on the button deep in a torney i will rejam out off the SB or be calling the in the BB with alot of pairs stack size depending. As a general rule i wouldnt consider 3 4bet shoving low mid pairs optimal or calling of your whole stack with these but yes there are spots that this can be the correct play

SharkyJohn

SharkyJohn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving pocket pairs is almost never a bad decision (if not facing bigger pocket pair) But it depends of a lot of factors... stack sizes,position,blinds level,tournament stage,player's mentality,tilt :) etc.
While playing a average stack I am trying to raise or call the raises with pp like 77 or 55 to see the flop and to hit a set... I could play differently with 10BB stack by just shoving. Yeah it depends of a lot,but the main factor is the player himself ;)

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Whether or not these are smart plays depends on each individual situation. For example, calling an all-in shove with 77+ could be a decent move if you are in a tournament, the player shoving is short stacked and you have a much bigger stack. I think you're correct in that you are definitely seeing these types of plays in a wider variety of situations nowadays. I like the "old school" train of thought where you only play KK/AA against a 3-bet, but there could be situations where I would change that game plan. With a very loose 3-bettor, a shove with a mid pocket pair could push BOTH of the other players out of the hand. So, again, it's very situational.

M

Moabs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to limp in early position with big pairs ACES or KINGS and hope someone raises so i can put in a stiff 3 bet

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling shoves with small pairs depends heavily on stack depth.

Highstakes games play much more aggressively, thus hand strength preflop goes up in certain ways.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play the same hand differently depending on what part of tourny and my read or willingness to gamble.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on many factors, what position you are, how many BB have, in that tournament level you are, for example, if I have 10 BB, and I'm on the button with 33, I like to go all in, to try to double my stack.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have no issue when in later position and being a short stack shoving with all my pocket pairs from aces to 2's. As for 3 betting with the lower pocket pairs, I don't do it as I am more likely to get a call I don't overly want. As for calling it is really dependent on there stack size, there image and my stack size. If there shove about 5BB or less and I am in the BB i will call with all my pairs but if they have more I will most likely fold my smallest pocket pair's below 8's as the risk to my stack makes it not worth it. If I have a monster stack and I think they are shoving any 2 I may open it up more and call a few more hands.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not know if there is a correct way to play them, I think it is largely about the extrategies that the players have, I also assume that they play depending on the information they have from the opponents, there are also those who follow their instinct

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure

I'm not sure it is correct to play pocket pairs that way. I don't like to coin flip if I don't have to. I would rather play them as small as possible and hope for a set on the flop. Good luck !

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I agree that is correct to play each pocket pair all in.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think that people play low pairs depending on the situations that are presented in the game, they are also valid pairs, maybe they are not the best but with them you can also win

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lots of good info here. I play the pairs if my stack is large compared to others on the table. Otherwise i like to play it safe.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
THAT depends , if u re familiar with opponent and u know his méthode to play then u can call and wish for a Bit of luck, that s why poker is beautiful you can win with the weak hand. Good luck

SoCalGrndR1

SoCalGrndR1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a lot of factors involved, first would involve the stack size(s). The smaller pairs are really risk/reward. The first stack is mine and the other stacks that could potentially be in the hand. The other stack(s), is there enough chips out there to win and be worth it to call/shove.
Second would look at your position on the table, and so on and so on.

There are many factors to consider that more detailed information is needed to make a qualified answer. I think later position definitely helps but still, there are many things to consider.

I definitely dont blindly call or go all in with any pair, even Aces. Another layer to the pair cake is having a read on any of the players. After looking at all of the number calculations you also have to consider what players might do in these circumstances as well. That could change everything regardless of the calculations.

SoCal

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely appreciate the insight. Seems that there are many variables to take into consideration when playing pairs. Appreciate the knowledge.