Pocket Pair Probability 6-way vs. 10-way

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's been a long time since I studied probablity, and it makes my head hurt to think about this. What is more likely, for at least one player to have a pocket pair at a 10-player table or a 6-player table? Intuitively, I'd guess at the 10-player table, but the cards are more spread out the more players there are. It's probably really close to the same. Can anyone give me a better answer?

Aceplayer55

Aceplayer55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The probability is the same per player, so twice as many will have PP at a 10 player table as at a table with 5 players.

O

Onkorunkus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probability for at least one player having a PP is around 38% at 6-max and 60% at 10-max.

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't worry about the cards being spread out...that has nothing to do with anything. Hand percentages are based on number of hand in all situations...therefore the more players the more likely something will happen. The reason poker gets harder the less players you have is because the hand ranges have to widen exponentially as players decrease to compensate for less big hands happening...and this forces you to play differently...more skillfully and with better reads.