Pocket kings into aces

M

Mikeuly1969

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it common to be dealt pocket kings and run into pocket aces ? This has happened the last 3 times I’ve had pocket kings, busting out twice, although the other time flopped the king and doubled up too huge stack and final tabled the tournament

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The chance for someone to have AA, if you dont hold an A, is around 0,5%. So if 9 players were dealt in the hand, 4% of the time someone will have AA, when you have KK or any other hand with no A. If you hold an A yourself like for instance AK, someone else will have AA 2% of the time.

L

ledris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! Happy Easter guys!! Dan Harrington (in his first book for tournaments) said that when you have Kings, your enemy would have Aces 1 of 24 times!

A

aMazing33

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
ZA
Chips
I’ve just been knock out holding AA, MTT opponent had KK and flopped a set��. I was BB he raised 4x blinds so I pushed. AA is my least favorite hand.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It happens sometimes, but I don’t that is going to be so often. KK is really nice hand to have

M

Mikeuly1969

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, I figure that if you have kk and run into aa, you will still win about 20% of the time

B

Bird173

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is the definition of a cooler only saving grace is it goes both ways so sometimes you will be the one holding the aces my friend!

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
odds you run into AA while holding KKs is 3.63% 9 handed.
Odds you bust them out is 20%.

But odds you have a large stack running into another large stack willing to call a 5 bet, while holding KKs is much higher than 3.39%.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens more often than you would think. Happened to me the only wsop event I ever played. Sucks but what can you do. If you play long enough it happens from time to time.

B

Bird173

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Odds you run into AA while holding KKs is 3.63% 9 handed.
Odds you bust them out is 20%.

But odds you have a large stack running into another large stack willing to call a 5 bet, while holding KKs is much higher than 3.39%.

I’ll take those odds!

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you know odds of getting your Aces cracked twice is a roll is 4%.

If you want something to throw you in a tilt, nothing beats seeing 2 pairs of aces cracked.

T

Taktik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This situation is rather rare, but often my kings flop a set

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
yes always comes yes 100% 50% comes As both at the table and in the opponent's hand depends a lot on your action on this type of play!

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The chance for someone to have AA, if you dont hold an A, is around 0,5%. So if 9 players were dealt in the hand, 4% of the time someone will have AA, when you have KK or any other hand with no A. If you hold an A yourself like for instance AK, someone else will have AA 2% of the time.
Thanks for sharing this information.
It's an eyeopener!

T

tourpro99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, those things definitely happen. Once out of 25 or so. If it happened once there's still a 1 out of 25 chance it'll happen the next time too. 1 out of 625 times it'll happen the next two times! We always notice that, but never seem to notice the 24 times there aren't pocket aces.....only the 5 times they get cracked :p

D

DonkArmyFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People on here are playing way to scared, I don't know if its because overall you guys are not aggressive enough in general or if you all just play low stakes where everyone is relatively tight, If you are only opening monsters of course you are going to run into this spot.

You need to be opening somewhere around the GTO theory of about 16.5% of hands when folded to you in late position with a mid-deep stack otherwise you are just asking for trouble.

Lets start playing a little bit more looser and throw the chips around you'll be surprised how far you go.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Na man it's just bad luck, KK will almost always be good. I've only folded them once pre flop and it turns out the guy had JJ. haha

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
chance of getting a pair aces 221/1

definitely hold onto those kings

M

madmandown

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are out of position and open raised with KK slightly larger than it used to be than you gave him indicator that you too have set just play as you planned openraise if he three bets you than 4 bet and if he 5 bet jam on you and he is tight player than its a sign that he too have QQ, KK or AA but you have KK that leaves behind QQ and AA. Now it's upto you to go for it or fold preflop.

ked717su

ked717su

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also believe that kings should not be discarded. After all, the kings have good chances even against dropping

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People on here are playing way to scared

I think, the more common problem is, that a lot of people are very results oriented. They focus on short term variance, coolers and bad beats rather than the close decisions, which actually makes the difference in the long run. Like for instance "Do I call or fold in BB with KJo, when BTN has open jammed with a 12BB stack, and I cover him with 28BB near the bubble". These are the kind of situations, where we actually have a decision to make, whereas a hand like KK usually play itself at least preflop.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think, the more common problem is, that a lot of people are very results oriented. They focus on short term variance, coolers and bad beats rather than the close decisions, which actually makes the difference in the long run. Like for instance "Do I call or fold in BB with KJo, when BTN has open jammed with a 12BB stack, and I cover him with 28BB near the bubble". These are the kind of situations, where we actually have a decision to make, whereas a hand like KK usually play itself at least preflop.

I would totally agree, as I'm fully aware that this is me to an extent/at times.
The improvements in my game need to come from a better understanding of the difficult spots, and defining whether what I'm doing are the correct long term decisions.

In the example you use above I think I'm calling, what do you think is correct? If I have less chips then I'd start leaning towards a fold depending on how short. :)