BTN: 40.8 BB
Hero (SB): 35.1 BB
BB: 23.1 BB
UTG: 36.3 BB

8 players post ante of 0.1 BB, Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.3 BB) Hero has 8
diamond.gif
heart.gif

fold, UTG+1 raises to 4 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero ?

M

miktux

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call and see a floop. And then you have situation to act

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have only two options, reraise or fold because you are out of position. If you call and you’re 8 don’t come on the flop, and original raiser bet again what will you do? Call again and hoping for miracle with your two outs? My thinking is that calling in situation like this is wasting of chips? So raise or fold!

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd like to know if the opponent has been generally passive or aggressive post flop, because I'm between two thoughts on this hand. I'll assume you were just transferred to the table and you're playing against this guy cold.
I don't see calling as a big mistake here. It keeps your range really wide and lets you play options on the flop without giving anything away. I don't like the raise because you can't call a 4 bet and getting called dosen't tell you much.

It's going to come down to post flop play. The pot will be about 10bb or so which makes bet sizing important.

Either you're going to out flop him, out play him, or give up on the hand. I just don't see the need to make those decisions pre flop before 60% of the community cards are dealt.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's going to be tough to simply call in this spot unless you're super confident in your postflop game against this specific player. Raise or fold is also going to depend on alot on the tournament situation and this specific players raising tendencies and your perceived tendencies. This is an awkward spot for sure. I think I would lean towards a 3 bet but also fold this holding a good chunk of the time. You'll want a game plan if you intend to raise in this spot. Raising to 13 BB or so seems unlikely to be called. UTG+1 will probably jam or fold, so you'll want to know if you're raise/folding or raise/calling before you put in your initial 3bet.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you want to call there to not bloat the pot while playing the hand out of position post flop.

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Worth seeing a flop but I agree with Pablo not to swell up the pot. Definitely worth seeing a flop.

plastilin898

plastilin898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I must see the flop)and there already on a situation to act, maybe even get to show down

O

ozaloa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG+1 is raising against 7 players as he is the first to act pre-flop.So considering his position,it can tell us something about his range.Raising in early position is a strong play,so i would put him on JJ+ pocket pairs and AJ+ kind of hands. In this situation i believe we would get at least a call even if we 3bet, and possibly even get reraised 4bet.I think here post flop play is more important than the preflop play.So i would seem like protecting my BB and call to see the flop.If i flop a set,i can just trap my opponent and crush him,if not then i would figure my play depending on the flop by considering his position and his range.But no matter what comes on the flop, my first act would be "check".Even if no overcards to my pair come on the flop,my opponent can still be leading with a better pocket pair,but anyway i would call all bets up to the half of the pot on the flop and maybe try to check raise to have a better idea about his range.It would show itself much enough on the flop,so it is easier to decide what to do after that.If he reraises me or shoves my play would definitely be "fold".Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your just set mining you need 7.5/1, if you think villian will do this wide a 3 bet/fold is probably optimal. I personally fold and look for a better spot, standard players will have 99+ KQs+ from ep.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would see the flop and then decide what to do.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold, because the game will be without position. Calling a raise with a pocket pair 8-8 is desirable from the position BB or BU.

N

NickNation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im feeling a flat here.. too deep to get it in, set mining OOP is better than raising OOP i would think. hope for a low board where you're an overpair or the 1/8 chance for a set?

mind you, you can always 3 bet fold to four bet...but i think i still prefer flatting here

zekubiki

zekubiki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
call and let's see flop waiting for set

M

MadMan999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think better will be fold or 3-bet . Call isn't good choice.

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
see the flop and don't limp hoping for an 8 , if the flop contains low cards u should raise

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is that UTG super aggro? I don't see ppl raise 4x and fold to a re raise often so maybe just flat and see what happens next. you could always hit a set and dog a over pair or maybe he just opens large with AJ+ and misses. I guess tournament stage would matter here also. How deep in the tourney etc etc..There are so many intricacies to poker and regarding specific hands situations it's always hard to give a definitive answer to what the right move is... That is why poker is so interesting!

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is call here and put opponent on ace face or maybe even ten see a flop then decide what to do from there.