PLO8 Beginner

D

Dtownie88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played PLO8 only 2-3 times live with friends, I have read up enough to understand the game and I have ordered Dan Heppon's book PLO8 revealed to learn more.
The question I am asking is; Does anyone here play PLO8 or NLO8 tournaments and beat them? If say do you have any tips?

C

credsfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PLO8 is really soft, the biggest mistake I see is people playing too wide of a range of hands. You really need to make sure you are playing hands that can qualify for both the low and high.

D

Dtownie88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
PLO8 is really soft, the biggest mistake I see is people playing too wide of a range of hands. You really need to make sure you are playing hands that can qualify for both the low and high.

Ok, I get that. Obviously tougher as blinds get higher or players per table gets smaller?
My issue is finding that balance between too tight and too loose because it can be easy to do both right?
Thanks for the response by the way

C

credsfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, I get that. Obviously tougher as blinds get higher or players per table gets smaller?
My issue is finding that balance between too tight and too loose because it can be easy to do both right?
Thanks for the response by the way

The average player is so bad in lower stakes plo8 that you can be pretty successful with a very basic strategy. Play a really tight range in ep (extremely tight in 9 max formats). The only time it really makes sense to deviate from playing tight in low stakes is you have a big stack and are trying to steal blinds. Another important concept is to get rid of hands on the flop that aren't nutted and don't have the potential to scoop the pot. I've seen a lot of players float flops with weak two pairs, weak flush draws, etc. on boards with low draws and at that point you are just burning money. If you ever have any questions regarding plo8 strategy or need a hand reviewed dm me and I would be glad to give input.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm getting into PLO8 myself. Biggest mistakes I have seen or read about are below. I am still learning myself so don't take the below as Gospel, its just what I have seen as mistakes so far.

1. Play hands and and stay in hands that you have a realistic shot at a scoop. I am not saying fold hands where you have a nut low draw but just saying scoops are very important.

2. Players are way too loose with their starting hands. If you dont have an ace in your hand you are at a huge disadvantage. Don't play the middle the cards such 6789 or hands of that nature. They dont have a lot of value in split pot games.

3. Dont raise or re-raise when you are chasing a low. If you have A2 in your hand and on the turn there are two 8 or lower cards which are not A2 you still have nothing and you are only looking at half the pot. Wait until you get that third board low card before getting aggressive.

4. Don't overplay a set. If you have KK23 and the flop is KJ9 you should bet as to not let others draw and you know there will no low but its still Omaha at the end of the day, Q10 is possibly out there along with flush draws so you have to be careful.

hutzpaf

hutzpaf

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have played PLO8 only 2-3 times live with friends, I have read up enough to understand the game and I have ordered Dan Heppon's book PLO8 revealed to learn more.
The question I am asking is; Does anyone here play PLO8 or NLO8 tournaments and beat them? If say do you have any tips?
PLO / PLO8 is a flop game, meaning the game starts on the flop so big 3-bets should be avoided.
One top player said after winning the tournament, he never made a 3-bet in the tournament!
Whether a familiar site? https://www.omahaplanet.com/omaha-hi-lo-8b/strategy/
And Learn how players win tournaments -->

Attachments

• study.JPG
    study.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Z

zokiusa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PLO

I played PLO freerolls many times but i dont really understand this type of game.Even there are 4 cards many hands i had the strongest hand with straight or color and he won the hand with stupid cards.So i dont like really focus on PLO bcuz it makes me sick.