PLO Tourneys, worth learning?

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So obviously PLO variance is insane, and MTT variance is also high... So logically the combination of PLO and MTT should mean very wild swings.

So my question to those who have played PLO tourneys; do you find players tend to stick to lower variance play styles to save their chips? Is it very different from cash games or are the swings basically the same?

(Let's ignore the lowest stakes where fish call with anything)

S

scalabrinijp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So obviously PLO variance is insane, and MTT variance is also high... So logically the combination of PLO and MTT should mean very wild swings.

So my question to those who have played PLO tourneys; do you find players tend to stick to lower variance play styles to save their chips? Is it very different from cash games or are the swings basically the same?

(Let's ignore the lowest stakes where fish call with anything)

its nice to see cheap flops in plo and guess from there where to go

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Played a few but did not like playing them. You are not kidding about the variance in PLO. It is huge.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play PLO ring games for low stakes. did not enjoy the PLO tourneys much

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
It is true that the variance is big.

But the players are in general worse in PLO.

U

Unbustable

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
P.L.O. will give you a general better understanding of the game of poker. odds and percentages the lengths at which people will chase should help discipline your game up real quick.

Free tip you might not need or know.. I base my game off opportune timing in opportune spots but in p.l.o. I learned it's best not to overplay any hand that won't remain the nuts until the river until you reach it. Even when in most situations you must defend and bet the threats against you out there is always the ones who won't budge and have lady luck behind them. Play it how you feel it pre but tighten up after and be extra patient in mtt. Watch how fast other drop around you and take notice how the ones who remain earned theirs..

paisley

paisley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have had fun playing these. They go very fast however. So you are either going to do well, or be out in no time at all. So for me, it isn't worth paying big buy-ins for PLO tourneys. I don't play well enough for that. It's good to really evaluate your skills honestly.

darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often play Omaha and think it is worth playing as it helps with development on your Holdem skills as well. I think however, that as the game is less popular than Holdem and there are fewer PLO tournaments the players ( beyond the entry level ) are genrally better prepared.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the insights guys :). Will focus more on PLO ring games then.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Unbustable makes a great point above -

"....P.L.O. will give you a general better understanding of the game of poker"

Absolutely agree. Like most I came to PLO later that Hold'em but it opened my eyes very quickly. To play with competence, you need to be patient and watch the hand unfold. In a full ring game over half the cards are out and dealt and people are sat with a much greater variety of hands.

You learn very quickly to see the possible strength of opponents hands, the potential straight, flush or full house and you therefore play in a measured manner knowing full well your strong hand is seldom the absolute nuts. I find this a real benefit when I revert to Hold'em as I quickly gauge the strongest hands that might be against me, without giving too much thought.

So, even if simply regarding PLO as a great learning tool, I'd recommend participating in the game at whatever level you feel comfortable with.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unbustable makes a great point above -

"....P.L.O. will give you a general better understanding of the game of poker"

Absolutely agree. Like most I came to PLO later that Hold'em but it opened my eyes very quickly. To play with competence, you need to be patient and watch the hand unfold. In a full ring game over half the cards are out and dealt and people are sat with a much greater variety of hands.

You learn very quickly to see the possible strength of opponents hands, the potential straight, flush or full house and you therefore play in a measured manner knowing full well your strong hand is seldom the absolute nuts. I find this a real benefit when I revert to Hold'em as I quickly gauge the strongest hands that might be against me, without giving too much thought.

So, even if simply regarding PLO as a great learning tool, I'd recommend participating in the game at whatever level you feel comfortable with.
This is actually why I love 7 card stud [emoji1].

I'm actually trying to come up with a hybrid of all 3 variants that has the intricacy of PLO but a lower variance.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
P.L.O. will give you a general better understanding of the game of poker. Odds and percentages the lengths at which people will chase should help discipline your game up real quick.

Free tip you might not need or know.. I base my game off opportune timing in opportune spots but in p.l.o. I learned it's best not to overplay any hand that won't remain the nuts until the river until you reach it. Even when in most situations you must defend and bet the threats against you out there is always the ones who won't budge and have lady luck behind them. Play it how you feel it pre but tighten up after and be extra patient in mtt. Watch how fast other drop around you and take notice how the ones who remain earned theirs..

Absolutely agree with you patience ,not overplaying you’re hands and playing in position is the key of playing plo mtt-s.