Is playing satellite good for my type of play?

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

My type of play is clearly tight and agressive. I want to start playing satellite to bigger tourneys, but I wanna know what type of play is better to win satellite?

Should I adapt my style to something more loose maybe? I'm often ITM, but not a lot of wins under my belt.

Thanks

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the biggest mistake i see in satellites is when a player is obviously going to make the cut but still plays their cards. If im in a say 30 ticket pay and im in the top 5 with 50 or 60 to go i will fold most of my hands and limp into the blinds but not invest much even if i hit the flop. you have to remember the guy who finishes 1st gets the same ticket as the guy that finishes 30th. I have even folded AA preflop when i knew i was in. Ive seen 2 guys go head to head when they where in the top 5. one guy who would have made it easily, busted out and got nothing. otherwise my play is mostly tight and aggressive. i try and build enough of a stack to lay back and fold into the ticket. in a satellite ITM is all you need.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hi,

My type of play is clearly tight and agressive. I want to start playing satellite to bigger tourneys, but I wanna know what type of play is better to win satellite?

Should I adapt my style to something more loose maybe? I'm often ITM, but not a lot of wins under my belt.

Thanks

Its about adapting to the situation... not going into it with a preset notion of this is how its going to be. Generally speaking satellite play is about survival... working at maintaining a stack size that has FE & knowing when to shove wide in good spots. Tournament play is all about chip accumulation (in satellites you would be skipping many spots you would normally be taking in a tournament). And as mentioned above, many players make LOTS of mistakes in satellites... with some of them thinking it is their duty to knock out other players while sitting on a bigstack (this has zero benefit to them and only increases tournament equity of ALL of the other players... giving nothing to themselves). Satellite play can be profitable if you study how to play them optimally as there are many bad players playing in them.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

Thanks
Too tight will lead to you getting blinded out, you will have to change gears bluff steal blinds and put other players under pressure when you both have bad cards.:D

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NIT/TAG/LAG seem to be useful categorizations as:
- starting point of your game play
- observation of what the other players do
- your table image
Anywhere else it should not be the cause of your action.

Poker Tells