Playing pocket 9's in a CC Freeroll

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you have a 30bb stack with pocket nines in the cut off. The villain had just been moved to your table. It folds to you and you open for 2.5 bb’s folds to the bb who completes and you see a flop of 2 5 J rainbow. Villain donk leads pot and you call, turn is a 2 villain donk leads pot again on turn what do you do and why? Would you have played any other street differently? Can you define a range against this odd line?

Last edited by a moderator:
smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you have a 30bb stack with pocket nines in the cut off. The villain had just been moved to your table. It folds to you and you open for 2.5 bb’s folds to the bb who completes and you see a flop of 2 5 J rainbow. Villain donk leads pot and you call, turn is a 2 villain donk leads pot again on turn what do you do and why? Would you have played any other street differently? Can you define a range against this odd line?
Different than ? How'd u play it.
Its a c.c. freeroll.
Think zanga on fb +- not much.
Vs an unknown... Don't chase the 9.
Shove or fold.
Or check it down.
Or order a pizza and play a real $ game while u wait and hope they're late so if nothing else.. Free pizza!

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If u try to define a line on a FR. Imo.. U lost.
I've played hundreds in a couple months.
Seen the best player win... Twice.
Once was me.
Don't over think it.
Build a roll freerolling and get outta micro asap.
Or stay there.. Sure. But as Joe Rogan says....
Don't need this part of my brain...
....imagine a throwing motion....

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I would peel the 1st bet but probably fold to the 2nd pot size barrel. I agree the donk bet is weird if he actually has a jack but I just feel like we don't beat much of his value range. So it really comes down to how often is he barreling 2 pot size streets with airballs ? In my experience this is pretty rare, so I would fold to the turn bet

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Different than ? How'd u play it.
Its a c.c. freeroll.
Think zanga on fb +- not much.
Vs an unknown... Don't chase the 9.
Shove or fold.
Or check it down.
Or order a pizza and play a real $ game while u wait and hope they're late so if nothing else.. Free pizza!

Haha I dig it Luke. I called flop to see how villain reacted on turn them folded turn to ridiculous aggression. Gave em credit for a jack. But the question at hand is more or less what does this donk pot bet mean, I’ve been seeing it a lot lately and hope maybe the cc world can shed some light this interesting play lol

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I would peel the 1st bet but probably fold to the 2nd pot size barrel. I agree the donk bet is weird if he actually has a jack but I just feel like we don't beat much of his value range. So it really comes down to how often is he barreling 2 pot size streets with airballs ? In my experience this is pretty rare, so I would fold to the turn bet

Yea.. that’s where my head was at as well. I was kinda hoping someone would have a different view lol it’s always fun to me to attempt to understand an “odd” play style.

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Haha I dig it Luke. I called flop to see how villain reacted on turn them folded turn to ridiculous aggression. Gave em credit for a jack. But the question at hand is more or less what does this donk pot bet mean, I’ve been seeing it a lot lately and hope maybe the cc world can shed some light this interesting play lol
Let me rephrase what you're really asking...
When you're GF says...
I don't care. Whatever you want.
Is there really a correct answer?
I see freerolls in a similar manner.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would just call the flop and fold to turn as there are better hands to call down with.

Well, villain can have anything really in cc freeroll but I may assign a range like {33,44,A2s,53s,54s,J2s) if I want to create a donk range here

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let me rephrase what you're really asking...
When you're GF says...
I don't care. Whatever you want.
Is there really a correct answer?
I see freerolls in a similar manner.

I get what you’re saying. Lol it’s just rooted in me to try to understand the unexplainable. Who knows possibly if I dig hard enough I might find something.... maybe lol

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If u try to define a line on a FR. Imo.. U lost.
I've played hundreds in a couple months.
Seen the best player win... Twice.
Once was me.
Don't over think it.
Build a roll freerolling and get outta micro asap.
Or stay there.. Sure. But as Joe Rogan says....
Don't need this part of my brain...
....imagine a throwing motion....

Lol I feel ya. You know I don’t need the freeroll for bankroll just doing it for my freeroll challenge. I’d still like to attempt to understand the play. I mean they aren’t doing it for fun.... or maybe they are lol

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I had to guess he has something like Ace King and you're probably good? There's been more and more aggressive betting with nothing trying to induce those types of folds. I would just fold watch this clown a few times and confirm the read and wait for a better spot. Usually they get knocked out before you get another crack at it though.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably fold as well don't have much info to go on and don't want to risk and lose if wrong.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Since it is a CC freeroll and in general it is a freeroll don't overthink it too much about those spots and don't waste your brain cells for no reason.I used to do it too in the beginning but I was just wasting my energy.

If I knew the opponent I would react accordingly , the general line you took here is the most reasonable IMO against an unknown opponent.Some players are capable of doing this even with JJ believe it or not , I have seen everything in PS FRC's!

What exactly is he pot donking here in a dry board?

I am a PT4 user and one opponent donk bets the flop 100%[15/15] in every situation , while they are others who open raise their monsters more than 5x in middle stages of the tournament with 20-25bbs depth.I don't know if it is a funny or a sad situation, so just let it go and develop your game for your own good and satisfaction!

Have Fun :)

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would either jam his raise or just fold and not chase the 9
If you think he has a J no point in calling if you think he has 10's+
Also no point in calling so only 2 options for me are fold the flop
or jam the flop when he raises.. or when he does have nothing on the flop just calling the best you might hit his AX KX hands... and if he had a2 or something .. well nothing you can do about it.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Sometimes I play them, sometimes no. It depends from the study of each game. I think there is a big range. Generally I have very good experiences with pocket 9s!

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably would have done the same as in fold during the turn due to confusing aggression. Or raise the donk bet to gain info if indeed opponent has a hand.

Alaercio da Rocha

Alaercio da Rocha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
After the flop I would give up any bet because of J on the flop for not knowing the villain I was facing

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since it’s on ps a fold is the best idea...
40% of the times you will run against 2 5 off.
If you haven’t seen the guy playing before his bets could mean anything from AA to a nine high clown bluff... there is no play that is to bad to be seen in freerolls

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
answer yourself how many times you will get turn bet? answer is very often. That means that if you plan to fold every turn bet then it's no reason to call even a flop. It's just wasting of chips/money. You don't need to be balanced in that kinds of spots or feel that you are exploited. No one good will pot donk you there because it doesn't make any sense. So you play vs a recreational player and you can just wait for better spots. Remember, you have 2nd pair, not top pair, or even overpair. You have better hands to call there than pocket nines. Just fold flop and it will boost your winrate for sure.

Last edited:
Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing pocket 9s on any table with two 2s and a J showing is risky. Push preflop to try to eliminate those on the fence and I would try to check it down after the second 2 hits.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I agree that player's line is confusing.....and it's meant to be.

He should be super strong with 2 pair or at least top pair.

I have seen players lead out like this with air most of the time. It was a very dry flop and the player is hoping you give up and fold. Or even 2nd or 3rd pair on the flop.

The lead out on the turn screams strength - but again villain's hand is so polarized. But really he has no reason not to bet 3rd pair again with a 2 on the turn lol

I have also seen players lead out like this having "slow played" AA KK QQ

Why not let you continue bet on the flop?

I would put a nice raise in on the flop - otherwise you have no idea where you are except for the math.

Or, decide to call that player all the way down.....even if they shove on the river?

Good luck !

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, this is a Fold after you saw the flop and it did not fit you !!!! you still have enough chips to continue the game !!!

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, this is a Fold after you saw the flop and it did not fit you !!!! you still have enough chips to continue the game !!!

This is very reasonable as there are many hands that have the Original Poster beat on the flop and the villain is betting and showing strength.

We don't need to satisfy our curiosity. lol

We can certainly pick a better spot.

Good luck !