Playing the freeroll

CERRATO505

CERRATO505

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What strategy do they use when playing free tournaments and what works?

M

mollymaggie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No skill

freerolls are good to get your feet wet at playing the game. You have no money involved but no one else does either so strategy is nill so you'll see a lot of all in's, people playing every hand and with crap hands and what happens is that crap often takes out AA,KK,JJ you get the picture. So play all the freerolls you can it won't take you long to get a feel of what people play. Always remember they cost nothing to play

CERRATO505

CERRATO505

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
but what to do when the tournament already enters places near good prizes

F

fourroses

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is different from freeroll to freeroll if there are 2 or 3 minuts levels Iplay only my good hands and then I often goes all in
when the levels are 10 minutes I play tight and I try to see the flop so otten than possible ,when it cost me not so much money
then it is whow many player in % come in the money ,when 30 % come in the money Iplay tighter then when only 20% come in the money

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often play all-in and try to win as many hands as possible.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
The strategy for playing freerolls is up to you and your mood. You have 2 options, go directly to the bank or wait until they start playing more similar poker with good cards

P

pohewa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found this video very helpful on the subject.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFm4Hfmywuk&t=4s[/ame]

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it all depends on the freeroll prize pool, if the prize pool is big enough, then I always play for money.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
man there is no strategy in this modality because if you adopt a strategy it will not work because freeroll and only players who do not know what they are doing bas tables do not know what Raise means or what respect for a player in position with history regular, so if you are lucky on the day of a freeroll enter and win the luck and not the strategy.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're going to need some luck.

The question you have to ask is, do you want to be patient and maximise your chances, before ultimately having to roll the dice, or do you want to see if you're lucky at the outset and cut your losses if not.

If time is important to you, then this favours marginal all-ins earlier on. If building a bankroll (irrespective of time spend doing so) is more important, then be a bit more patient but be willing to take advantage of the impatience of others.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play it like normal MTT trying to use freeroll as free practice game where you can also win some money to help your bankroll.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you play big freerolls from 2000 + players and more, it is useless to look for a strategy... 70%-80% of players play luck at the table, unfortunately... No strategy, hard, aggressive game. If you have seen how the guys from brazil play it is impressive)) 2-7? 3-9? no problem, all in! )) all strategy... It's fun, but it's a shame when you lose! :) Treat freerolls simply, lucky-great!), if not-forget it, it's a Freeroll :) good luck with the hard work :)

bra01

bra01

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To participate in the freeroll, just use the ABC strategy. Playing honest cards Facing what might be a big bet, be brave to keep up. This is how the freeroll is played.

M

mollymaggie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but what to do when the tournament already enters places near good prizes

If you have managed your bank well and were lucky enough to get close to being into the money that changes your whole game you can sit back and just play the flop and let the short stacks hopefully get put out. When you're close to a prize BE SELECTIVE WITH YOUR HAND GL

D

DancingNancie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to be patient in the early stages as people are trying to build stacks and will go all in with any 2 cards. Try and see flops as cheaply as possible with hands that can make the nuts. I push my strong hands hard to get value as most do not fold when they have a piece of the board.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Simple ABC play is usually the best unless you are in a private freeroll. In the normal open to all freerolls many of the players will be very jam happy and get their chips in light. Your best strategy would be to play only good hands and keep the pot small pre flop (everyone is calling raises anyway so no need to raise big unless you have a monster then bet huge and they will still call). Post flop when you hit your hand then your strategy should be to bet 3 streets and bet a higher % of the pot than normal. Against better players you would not want to do this but against freeroll players who are very sticky post flop you should just bet, bet, bet. You will get called a lot and your stack will increase. If you are card dead then just wait until 15BB or so and start playing push/fold. Your opponents will call light and as long as you are shoving the correct hands you will be getting in as a favorite a lot.

As you get deep in the freeroll the above strategy will still work but you will be facing the better players in the freeroll that most likely are playing the same strategy as you. Knowing they are playing ABC you can start to make some moves but tread lightly as you will still run into the maniacs who got lucky and made it deep.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In free tournaments, you can play as you like, I've seen all kinds of players, get final tables, tight players, aggressive players, good players, bad players.
But I think you have to play your best, because if not, you can acquire bad habits, and you can make mistakes in real money tournaments, because free tournaments have nothing to do with a real money tournament.