Playing a warm up Game pre-tournament

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many of you all warm up before a big game by playing another game?
I have done this at times when I know I am not feeling the feeling I would like to be feeling prior to the start of a game that I would like to win.
I'm not sure if it helps, because I seem to just tilt anyway...
Currently I am testing out the hypothesis of abstinence of playing non-essential games so that my focus will be good, and I can stay riding a wave of good playing and success...
In the sports world, especially in Playoff, and other high stress scenarios, Coaches have given their players days off, with no practice, so they will regain freshness of mind...
What is your experience?:cool:

RickoNNN

RickoNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's always good to warm up than sit down and just play that great tournament haha

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to play a warm up game the day before I play a big tourney. I don't want to play same day because if the big tourney goes long I want to save my energy for that.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play tournaments, then this is a long game. First of all, you should have a good rest, and prepare purely physiologically.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to warm up before an important game I prefer to watch strategic videos. it helps me not to tilts when I suffer too much loss during my games. the most important thing when playing poker is to have fun. if not, I stop playing until I'm back to play my A game again.

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes i go in a bullshit freeroll or a play money game and go all in until i get that out of my system... but its a hard thing to get out of your system!... kinda like drugs!

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
not sure if it is coincidence or not, but, this year before playing in the Colossus in theWSOP, I didn't play a single hand for 3 weeks.

I finished 250 of 13,000 for a decent cash

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
never. i guess this is one area where i'm superstitious and feel like i could be wearing out my luck. aside from that you can also start tilting before that big tournament if you're playing well but luck is on the villain's side. i'd be careful

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always play a warm up to make certain I am on point.

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never gave doing so any thought.

namvidnee

namvidnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always try to warm up before an important tournament. It helps me tune in to a good game

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have always preferred to go into a tournament "cold" and warm up throughout the tournament. I find that if I've played a few games and lost or been sucked out on, I can take a negative vibe into my main tournament.

I feel fresher and more focused than if I've already played for an hour or two.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
For me, the best warm-up before an important game is meditation. Through meditation, I always remain focused, patient, and positive.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me personally, I like to warm up with a small cash game buy in. This feels like I can get all the loose calls all out my system and go in with a more clear head.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Yes a few warm up sng is a necessity for me.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I am also often playing some SNGs before the MTTs start. But more because I do not like to mix them much while playing. So you can call it a warm-up. But I am usually multi-tabling a lot the MTTs as well, so you can hardly say, what is now really the warm-up because the MTTs often start at different times.

Top 10 Games