playing a big stack

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you find yourself with one of the biggest stacks fairly early in the tournament. How do you balance your desire to protect your stack with the desire to pressure the smaller stacks and be a bully :)

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So you find yourself with one of the biggest stacks fairly early in the tournament. How do you balance your desire to protect your stack with the desire to pressure the smaller stacks and be a bully :)

Apply pressure - but as soon as you hit resistance proceed cautiously.

I

iceiceice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think having a big stack later in tournaments is more advantageous than early. Once you're near the bubble, people will overfold so you can raise more often for 2x-2.5x(you will also have to raise-fold to jams against nits if people catch on), but this is when you can truly bully people.

When I have a big stack early, I might 3-bet lighter than normal against super aggressive players. I will also Iso-raise a tad bigger against limps to really put pressure on passive players.

m0t22

m0t22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I found it interesting and I also have difficulties with stacks bigger than 70 blinds out of position, does anyone have some tips or related articles?

Gamebreakr25

Gamebreakr25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to put pressure on the smaller stacks, but I'm always cautious, especially in the early stages of a tournament. I gradually get more aggressive as I get closer to the money bubble. That will also give me more time to read the players at my tables. Take care :cool:

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always try not to get involved with the big stacks of the msea I try to play hands where he does not get involved and so I can put pressure on those who have short stacks:reddy:

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
There is a Big Stack Strategy "BSS" and is simple to follow, the problem is to get the "Big Stack".

I learn about it in Intellipoker, from pokerstars, they also have the Small Stack Strategy, Nowadays I think is Poker School.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

First off one of the biggest problems I have seen with people building a stack early on is they feel they can open their range or bully the tournament. Your strategy that got you to that point should stay the same. (Unless you don't have a solid strategy and luck got you there) Their is no "Protect your stack" only making the best decision each action. Pressuring smaller stacks isn't THAT relevant early in a tournament because even the "shorter" stacks still have plenty of big blinds. What you should be worried about early in the tournament is getting max value.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

In general, applying pressure with a big stack is the optimal play against small stacks. However, in early stages of the tournaments, small stacks aren't really small and are worth 50-100BB depending how deep the tournament was to start with. That being said, your aggressiveness should only start in middle-late stages of the tournament, when small stacks have around 20BB.

I would advise playing the same way in early stage regardless of having a big stack or not, so just standard poker, nothing fancy, don't risk your advantage by playing potentially huge pots with smallER but not small stacks.

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't be much more aggressive preflop when you are deep stacked. It depends on your opponent but a lot of times you just get called and miss the flop with a weaker holding in a 3bet pot. Then you feel the need to make an extravagant bluff that probably isn't as good as you think it is. Instead I'd try to see slightly more flops in position, if you don't expect to get squeezed.

Z

Zikasamaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course you must be a buly if you are a big stack,so keep presure smaller stack,on every stage on tournament,if you earn a big stack and start play like a rock you lose all of those chips and you just jump in money but no win for you than......

M

MarineCJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play big stack early Cautiously, but not to tight. Not really protecting but not dumping either. I dont even know if that makes sense?..lol

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Loosen a little

I loosen my hand range a little when I am an early big stack. But, I don't get real aggressive and risk my stack on marginal hands.

T

TJH90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mid to late in a tourney you can bully/steal the blinds/antes. Early on when most people are still deep (25+ BB) I try not to let it change the way I'm playing.

J

james bright

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no all ins they just wanting your chips so fold all in preflops!!

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
when I have big stack I try to play aggressive but I also proceed very cautiously, it is not worth risking the chips unnecessarily

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When you have a big stack at the beginning of the tournament, the main thing is to keep yourself in hand and keep playing the same way you played when you had a small stack. Of course, you need to be a little bolder, and more often make raises and conbets, you need to use your advantage. But you can not get too involved in the fact that you can lose all your chips.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Contrary to everything reported, I found that reducing the opening range often leads to a steadily growing stack, while expanding the range increases variance.
Obiously, as soon as you've got someting (or guess the small stack missed the flop) use your stack to 'convince' the others to fold.

P

PuntinHundies

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever I am fortunate enough to get a giant stack early in a tournament, I tighten up significantly in order to preserve that advantage. Save the bluffs and steals for later in the tournament when the blinds are bigger. It is unwise to risk your stack just to pick up a small pot when you already have a giant stack.

You can certainly call behind limps with a wide range in position in order to see cheap flops and stack more opponents when you flop a monster.

:2s4: :3s4:

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you are a big stack, you can play more aggressive, and put pressure on other players, but you should always be careful not to risk too much, and always play the best you can.

P

pecam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's better to make pressure to the smaller stacks

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Continuation bets with big stack

I believe you need to be aggressive with a big stack. 3 or 4 bet before flop and make sure to add your continuation bet after the flop.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd put pressure by raising the blind 3.5x 4x with antes from late position. Donk all in scare no one....also "tha pressure" is nessecary but bluffing is an advanced move.

A

ashley8276

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing a bigstack

i always push all in with my bigstack it gets other poker players to fold