Played a low buyin $100 GTD Freezeout and won. Here are some of my thoughts.

D

Dwarf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The buy in was $2+.2 fee on ACR. 5000 Starting chips 5 min blinds. (18 levels of late reg)

The tournament felt like it was deep stacked, HOWEVER after 1 hour of playing ABC Poker I was at around 6500 chips and was only sitting at ~35 Big Blinds.

I decided it was time to play a bit more aggressive, I raised from the button with a weak ace, got called from the big blind. Flop Came Axx I bet and got called. I bet the turn, and get check raised all in. It was hard to fold but I did. 15 minutes later I had less than 12 Big Blinds. This is when I knew I had to start shoving, and when I got QJs in late position I did so only to get called by AA. Flop comes QQ6 and I crack-em. THIS IS WHAT ALLOWED ME TO CONTINUE ON TO WIN - I attribute one other hand later in the tournament where the blinds are 1250-2500 and I am in the small blind with 10-6 off suit. One person limps in, and I'm looking at a pot of 8000+ preflop so I call.

Flop comes K66

Big Blind goes all in,
Limper goes all in,
I call.

I beat KJ and K8.

At the final table everyone seems to be playing super tight, so I get into a habit of min raising and it takes down enough pots that I'm building my stack well, but im folding to all re-raises (which are few and far between) unless I have a premium hand. I knock out the guy in 6th with AK over A9s after he re-raises my min raise all in.

When its down to 3 people left at the table I have half the chips in play. I start min raising and one opponent starts re-raising all in every time I raise. After he does it 4x in a row I call with KJ he flips A9 and I win :/

With 2 people left I'm min raising every button Immediately. He re-raises me all in then folds his small blind. This happens 3x in a row and I call the 4th time with A2o and take out J10o to win.

Moral of the Story - This 5min blind turbo is a pure Luck box format. ( I turned $2 into $45 but... not with good play)

What I did notice was on the last level of late reg (2 hours in) the money was for the top 15 positions and we had 17players left. The tournament went on break and when we came back 5 ppl late reg within the last minutes. Blinds were almost 625-1250 at this point. That being said a lot of the late registers ended up cashing. So If I were to recommend playing a freezeout turbo like this to anyone - Last level late reg almost guarantees you 50% profit on your buy in. I doubt you could win from the late reg, but Im pretty sure its an easy cash and definitely worth keeping an eye out for. Otherwise dont play 5min blind turbos unless you can deal with uber high variance.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Moral of the Story - This 5min blind turbo is a pure Luck box format. ( I turned $2 into $45 but... not with good play)
I disagree with this, given the information you've provided.

MTT's require a lot of luck to win and no one plays perfect 100% of the time when it comes to MTTs. Making errors and winning (getting lucky) are a part of the game, but it doesn't mean you made huge mistakes.

The buy in was $2+.2 fee on ACR. 5000 Starting chips 5 min blinds. (18 levels of late reg)

The tournament felt like it was deep stacked, HOWEVER after 1 hour of playing ABC Poker I was at around 6500 chips and was only sitting at ~35 Big Blinds.

I decided it was time to play a bit more aggressive, I raised from the button with a weak ace, got called from the big blind. Flop Came Axx I bet and got called. I bet the turn, and get check raised all in. It was hard to fold but I did.
...Getting more aggressive as your stack got shorter is the better option. You raised with an A and flopped an A. It's an easy cbet on flop. The double barrel on turn is fine and you made a good fold when 3bet.

No errors in your play.

15 minutes later I had less than 12 Big Blinds. This is when I knew I had to start shoving, and when I got QJs in late position I did so only to get called by AA. Flop comes QQ6 and I crack-em. THIS IS WHAT ALLOWED ME TO CONTINUE ON TO WIN -
...As a short stack in a turbo MTT, getting dealt QJs in late position is a good enough hand to shove with 12 BBs. Unlucky you ran into AA, but it happens. And your hand will hold up vs AA ~20% of the time.

So, no errors getting it in with decent hand and no fault of your own it holding up against a better hand.

I attribute one other hand later in the tournament where the blinds are 1250-2500 and I am in the small blind with 10-6 off suit. One person limps in, and I'm looking at a pot of 8000+ preflop so I call.

Flop comes K66

Big Blind goes all in,
Limper goes all in,
I call.

I beat KJ and K8.
...this would really depend on your stack size, but you are getting 6.4:1 to call with the SB and see a flop. That's not a bad option, especially if BB is tight and doesn't raise a lot.

You flopped tripped 6 when you were given a chance to see a cheap flop. Maybe KJ should have raised PF instead of limping in/checking in the BB.

No errors on your part.

At the final table everyone seems to be playing super tight, so I get into a habit of min raising and it takes down enough pots that I'm building my stack well, but im folding to all re-raises (which are few and far between) unless I have a premium hand. I knock out the guy in 6th with AK over A9s after he re-raises my min raise all in.
...Taking advantage of a tight table. Nothing wrong with that.

When its down to 3 people left at the table I have half the chips in play. I start min raising and one opponent starts re-raising all in every time I raise. After he does it 4x in a row I call with KJ he flips A9 and I win :/
...You have him covered and decide to take a stand with KJ. I'm sure stacks are really shallow at this point and theres a chance that he doesn't have a good hand 4x in a row.

It might depend on effective stacks, but I don't see calling here wih KJ as an error. Yes, you ran into a slightly better hand, but it's not like you are a huge underdog vs A9. You still have ~40% equity preflop to win the hand. And if effective stacks are really shallow, it's an easy call.

So, very unlikely an error on your part.

With 2 people left I'm min raising every button Immediately. He re-raises me all in then folds his small blind. This happens 3x in a row and I call the 4th time with A2o and take out J10o to win.
...Effective stacks are probably shallow. You got your money in good as a slight favorite and it held.
Above.

While stack vs blinds would be useful, I honestly didn't see any mistakes in your play. Like I said, luck is part of the game. Sometimes you get in good and need it to hold, other times you get it in bad and need to get lucky. No one that has won an MTT has played without either situation happening multiple times.

And if you aren't getting your money in bad some of the time in MTTs, you're playing way too tight.

D

Dwarf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree with this, given the information you've provided.

MTT's require a lot of luck to win and no one plays perfect 100% of the time when it comes to MTTs. Making errors and winning (getting lucky) are a part of the game, but it doesn't mean you made huge mistakes.

Above.

While stack vs blinds would be useful, I honestly didn't see any mistakes in your play. Like I said, luck is part of the game. Sometimes you get in good and need it to hold, other times you get it in bad and need to get lucky. No one that has won an MTT has played without either situation happening multiple times.

And if you aren't getting your money in bad some of the time in MTTs, you're playing way too tight.

Thanks for your input I appreciate it!

S

stokedog4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats! Looks like you played well. Ran well too.

Ooshootmybads comments were spot on.

good luck

George Lewis

George Lewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats! Looks like you played well. Ran well too.

Ooshootmybads comments were spot on.

good luck

I agree with this. Shoots nailed it. Playing well doesnt mean sitting around til you have AA then winning the hand. Your decisions helped yo uwin. You folded a hand you felt maybe you were ahead but weren't certain and then when you had to you got it in and won. Typical tournament..