Play tight or loose early in live MTTs?

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Curious as to what the majority vote is on this. I am a tight player overall, so I play very tight early in MTTs when the blinds are low.

Am I doing it wrong? :stupid:

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually play rather loose early on.

The main reason being is that the blinds are really low & you aren't risking a whole lot of chips to see a lot of flops.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Loose in position, tight oop....unless its a super passive table.

Im not really sure why so many live MTT players are completely oblivious to position, but it sure is hillarious to watch them limp again and again in EP.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Curious as to what the majority vote is on this. I am a tight player overall, so I play very tight early in MTTs when the blinds are low.

"It depends"
It depends on the structure (how deep of stacks we're playing, how fast the blinds increase).
It depends on how the others on your table are playing.

S

Samweis3

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
i am normally quiet tight in the beginning watching around how the other players are doing there risky bets, when i am in position holding a good hand i will see the flop, having a monster out of position it is a clear bet (3-4 BB)

When the blinds increase fast then you have to be more aggressive. In live events it is important to represent good poker not limping every pot!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
React to the table dynamics. If I notice a table with mostly fit or fold type players, or players that are generally easy to read, I am playing very loose.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

What is the usual blind structure? Can't ever be really be faulted for being tight, but if you have over 100 BB then you do have some wiggle room to "dabble" a little bit early on.

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to play tight earlier then if my chip stack is deep.I like to play more aggressive later especially around or near the bubble when peeps tighten up to make cash outs. Or if I survive and make final table, I'll tighten up some until the table is down to about 4or 5 peeps, then be more aggressive.

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"It depends"
It depends on the structure (how deep of stacks we're playing, how fast the blinds increase).
It depends on how the others on your table are playing.
start at 25/50. 20 minute levels. No antes. 10k starting stack

Most of the time, folks like to see a lot of flops early on where I play b/c it is so cheap.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Most of the time, folks like to see a lot of flops early on where I play b/c it is so cheap.
200bb's deep. By all means try to see some flops with them - - be happy to ply speculative hands (that have potential to flop (& play) well in multi-way pots)... ie. 54s, 97s, AXs, small pp's. < hands you're hoping to get paid off well on when villain won't let go of overpairs & TPTK/ TPGK type hands.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Well you have plenty of room to loosen up in the early stages - BUT (and this is very critical) you have to #1) know when and where to back off and #2) have the discipline to do it. Everyone's comfort level will be different, but I would have no issue dedicating 20% of my starting stack (40 BB) to some dabbling, speculative type play early on. I don't necessarily mean limping along with the crowd though. If I get down to 150-160 BB then I have to shut it down and go back to being tight. That can happen through play or it can happen by the blinds going up - either way it's a black and white situation. Slam on the brakes and go tight. That can be just one hand gone bad or it can be an hour. MOre than likely it will be by blinds going up.

Now you don't say what the blind structures are - but I am willing to bet my stack that after the first 20 minutes the blinds just doubled - which means you drop from 200 BB to 100 BB - so basically there will actually be damn little time and very few hands you will be able to do this with.
Keep an eye out for the players who cannot get out of that mode - fish alert.

M

Machidon7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Accumulating chips in MTT's is an art form and different players have various ways of accomplishing this critical feat...early in tournies when i am deep stack i like to play LAG because of the huge implied odds i am getting for playing speculative hands (small to medium pairs and suited connectors).

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
definitely loose am start, while the blinds are small and you can play more hands and catch more pots with LAG
:)

B

Blue_Fossil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tight aggressive is always a reasonable starting strategy - but if most players at the table are subscribing to the same strategy, loosen up.

K

kmbpoker

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
i think most of the best tourny players will agree that you should play a little looser early, tighten up in the middle and loosen up again as you try to i would be happy to explain why this works best in the long run if you care to

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i like to play tight at the beginning.not super tight but """tightish"""
i play any suited ace,any suited connector,any pocket pair. and i play them aggresively but i fold everything else.
i dont even bother trying to steal the blinds cause i could care less to win a 60 chip pot. only start stealing pots when blinds are 75-150 and above.
i will raise ANY two cards everysingle time if its folded down to me on the cutoff btt or sb

Last edited:
XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tight or loose both OK, if you are able to build a very good stack early stage!

T-Dubs82

T-Dubs82

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for what its worth, i tend to play somewhat tight early, but really depends on the table and structure

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think that deep you want to loosen up your range to get in hands with the really bad players before they get knocked out.

I

Imflashy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
play as many hands as you can earlier on in the stages, because once the blinds are up you have to tighten up and pick your spots..

K

kmbpoker

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
early in their will almost always be players donking about,many of them will be the better players but some will be the dead money. very important to be ready to go right from the 1st kick.that means paying real close attention and figure out which is which. always have a plan for any hand you play if the price goes beyond your plan there will be another right quickly. but if you dont donk about now you are most likely committing yourself to playing tight all the way which means you will probably be short when its winding down unless the deck jumps all over you. my theory is get good or get gone. just remember if you do get good do not get superman mentality and piz it all back. there is a break peddle as well as gas. works for me anyway

Organize a Home Poker Game